Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're saying is we saw that we weren't training as hard as other teams, decided to up our intensity, couldn't handle the lift in intensity and got injured, but it had nothing to do with laziness or our poor conditioning program. Right.....

What I’m saying is there’s a balance. If you go so hard that you injure half the team it means those players have now missed a preseason and will be very difficult to get back to full fitness during the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So what you're saying is we saw that we weren't training as hard as other teams, decided to up our intensity, couldn't handle the lift in intensity and got injured, but it had nothing to do with laziness or our poor conditioning program. Right.....

Wasn't it Burgess at Melbourne who said (and this is paraphrasing obviously) something like:

getting fit isn't a 1 pre-season outcome. It is 2-3 years, year 1 you go hard and will cop injuries, year 2 you start to show improvement, then year 3 the players can handle it

I'm hoping our 2022 was the year we needed to have through pushing our players to be better in preseason. And that we continue to do so.

Wasn't it Burgess at Melbourne who said (and this is paraphrasing obviously) something like:

getting fit isn't a 1 pre-season outcome. It is 2-3 years, year 1 you go hard and will cop injuries, year 2 you start to show improvement, then year 3 the players can handle it

I'm hoping our 2022 was the year we needed to have through pushing our players to be better in preseason. And that we continue to do so.

I hope so! I actually think if we can stay relatively injury free we can push finals. Unlikely … but possible

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The younger you are the harder you can go. So to keep our vets in playable condition id say they would do 80% of what a 22 yr old would do.
I'd say it might be more contact based stuff that can be introduced (especially as we are scared of winning the footy). Youd hate to lose players during the week from knocks but it would be a great benefit to a lot of the group.

2BBA5D57-4A97-4D7D-8A8A-B59809E92747.png I was scrolling through Fb quickly and had a mini scare thinking Jack Darling joined the Dees

WEST COAST​

Return dates

First to four-year players – November 21

Others – December 5

Who is fit?

Star ruckman Nic Naitanui is coming off an injury-plagued eight-game campaign and knee surgery in August but has been hitting the track at McGillivray Oval with some of his teammates, training for more than an hour and working closely with a West Coast physiotherapist. The Eagles were confident at the time of his surgery that he would be ready for pre-season. West Coast’s top pick last year, Campbell Chesser, also took part in the session, along with Alex Witherden, Connor West, Greg Clark and Harry Edwards.

Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed and Tom Cole were part of a group training at the club’s base this week, along with second-year forward Jack Williams and mid-season draft pick Jai Culley.

A foot problem restricted Sheed to one game last season and Cole did not feature after having ankle surgery in February.

Who is starting on time?

The Eagles are expecting all players to be training early in the pre-season.

Who was in for surgery?

Naitanui (knee), Jake Waterman (knee), Jack Petruccelle (shoulder) and Alex Witherden (shoulder) all went under the knife during the off-season.

New faces

Ex-Melbourne speedster Jayden Hunt has been travelling in South America, including Chile, Peru and Bolivia, since being traded to West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WEST COAST​

Return dates

First to four-year players – November 21

Others – December 5

Who is fit?

Star ruckman Nic Naitanui is coming off an injury-plagued eight-game campaign and knee surgery in August but has been hitting the track at McGillivray Oval with some of his teammates, training for more than an hour and working closely with a West Coast physiotherapist. The Eagles were confident at the time of his surgery that he would be ready for pre-season. West Coast’s top pick last year, Campbell Chesser, also took part in the session, along with Alex Witherden, Connor West, Greg Clark and Harry Edwards.

Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed and Tom Cole were part of a group training at the club’s base this week, along with second-year forward Jack Williams and mid-season draft pick Jai Culley.

A foot problem restricted Sheed to one game last season and Cole did not feature after having ankle surgery in February.

Who is starting on time?

The Eagles are expecting all players to be training early in the pre-season.

Who was in for surgery?

Naitanui (knee), Jake Waterman (knee), Jack Petruccelle (shoulder) and Alex Witherden (shoulder) all went under the knife during the off-season.

New faces

Ex-Melbourne speedster Jayden Hunt has been travelling in South America, including Chile, Peru and Bolivia, since being traded to West Coast.

O Allen???

Imagine West putting in all this effort just to be cut.

I'm not West's biggest fan, but he's clearly the most deserving of those borderline players whose contract status is unknown, to get another year based on output to date.

He's perfect depth - will happily hang around playing twos until his chamce comes up and cracks in when it does. I hope we retain him for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back