Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I envisage most of the board at the moment, trying to punch out simple theories:

giphy.gif

In the absence of Keys I went down for a trundle this morning to check them out on return. Just a few random notes I took down...

• A lot of running work again, clearly a focus even in the heat.
  • Duggan looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2021.
  • Giles went up against Vardy in the ruck contests and I'd say that Giles has the inside running at the moment.
  • Mitchell looked a class above the other midfielders bar Priddis. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Shuey was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Mitchell. Doesn't bode well for his captaincy credentials, maybe he doesn't want the gig?
  • Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Rioli looked as though he'd enjoyed the Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Rioli was sent to do laps for the rest of the session. Good news for Le Cras, I suppose.
  • Sheed kicked on his right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
  • Petrie looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Darling in particular seemed to be following him around.
  • Gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
  • What interested me the most was that McGovern split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2017. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Mackenzie in a forward role.
  • Bayok is very fast - Cripps was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
  • Nelson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
  • There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
  • Masto was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
  • No sign of Cole, Parto or Hill. Couldn't tell you why.

Will upload pics later if I have time. Let me know if you have any questions!

It's not a preseason without this post. I apologise for nothing.

Further to Duffield's interview with "King Nissie I", I am surprised that it was business as usual back up in Broome for the senior leaders.

I was in a business unit that had hit the edge of the cliff - I had recently moved across and it came as a surprise to many how crap we were performing and how unexpected it was. It feels like similar to where the Eagles were at the start of this year. Anyway, we went and watched a suitable movie to set the scene of a disaster about to happen and options the characters needed to look at. We changed the location of our get together from Barcelona to Blackpool. The message was clear - we had not performed well enough to justify Barcelona.

That sent a very clear message throughout the organisation. Failure in any front will not be tolerated.

This 2022 was not a "Covid and unlucky injury" driven event. The signs were there in 2020 and again shouted out loud and clear in the second half of 2021 - that is for the AFL, AFLW and WAFL teams. It is attitudinal and culturally driven. The poor 2022 was as a result of a board that allowed itself to be too influenced by the CEO (the old upside-down governance model), a membership base that has no input or say on the board composition and the board appear unaccountable to anyone, a board that has very little football experience, a CEO that appears to have gone past his used by date and no clear succession plan, a CEO and Board that appear to have prioritised profits over football performance, a football operations department that is probably as poorly staffed as any other basket case, and I could go on.

So why did they go to Broome again? Because they always do and Russell Gibbs probably did them a special deal curtesy of the Hawain Group. Not for me. I would have moved the location to Bunbury or somewhere like that. I would have started the session by saying that we will return to Broome when the performance of the Board and senior leaders of the club turn around this underperforming organisation.

I am enjoying my grumpy morning.
angry clint eastwood GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the absence of Keys I went down for a trundle this morning to check them out on return. Just a few random notes I took down...

• A lot of running work again, clearly a focus even in the heat.
  • Duggan looked on and was hitting targets left and right. Set for a huge 2021.
  • Giles went up against Vardy in the ruck contests and I'd say that Giles has the inside running at the moment.
  • Mitchell looked a class above the other midfielders bar Priddis. Just knew how to find the footy and wouldn't miss a target all session. Shuey was very quiet and seemed to be taking direction from Mitchell. Doesn't bode well for his captaincy credentials, maybe he doesn't want the gig?
  • Won't say too much about it in case I was just reading too much into it, but Rioli looked as though he'd enjoyed the Christmas break a bit too much. A few of the coaches pulled him aside and they were having quite an animated conversation before Rioli was sent to do laps for the rest of the session. Good news for Le Cras, I suppose.
  • Sheed kicked on his right foot for 80% of the session, I reckon. Nice to see players working on their non-preferred so readily.
  • Petrie looked like he was doing a great job 'coaching' the younger forwards in between the drills. Darling in particular seemed to be following him around.
  • Gee Venables has some skills. He mainly jogged laps before spending the last half hour or so on set shots - curled a few beauties from behind the boundary line at the end for a bit of fun. Hardly saw him miss a kick.
  • What interested me the most was that McGovern split his time between the defenders and the forwards, could be seeing a swingman role in 2017. He was his usual dominant self down back in some match simulation drills before going head-to-head with Mackenzie in a forward role.
  • Bayok is very fast - Cripps was in most of the drills with him and couldn't keep up.
  • Nelson is pale as buggery and still doesn't really have the body shape you'd expect of an AFL player.
  • There was a big bloke who pulled up next to me and I could have sworn it was Suma, but I'm sure I was wrong...
  • Masto was the player picked to kick the goal at the end today and nailed it. Celebrations were huge.
  • No sign of Cole, Parto or Hill. Couldn't tell you why.

Will upload pics later if I have time. Let me know if you have any questions!

This would gave been even better if you put it into the My Theory is Simple meme format.

POTY goes begging.

Extra round confirmed, to be played in Adelaide

Six games at Adelaide oval with the other three to be played at undisclosed SANFL/regional grounds

My money is on GWS, Suns, Saints, North, Freo and us to be the 6 teams involved in those 3 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back