Pre-season comp or 30 round season ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Mr Eagle

Oh? I didn't realise it took Vic clubs a 4 hour plane trip to get to away games at the MCG. How remiss of me! ;)
It'd be more equal than it is now, at least, Mr. Eagle.

The season should go for 51 weeks of the year.

Need one week to buy next seasons membership & family days & best and fairest

Time to weigh in...

...with my thoughts on the issue.

As I've raised a few times before, (including one topic that spawned a 150+ argument between Dan and the rest ;)

Why must the GF be played in September?

I know it's been played in October before, but that's only part of my 'theory'

Basically I think that the following changes should be implemented:

30 Round-season, with each team playing each other twice, once at home, and once away.

Two-Round final series:
Week 1:....1st v 4th......2nd v 3rd
Week 2:....Winners play in GF

Totalling 32 weeks of play.

One week off between end of regular season, and finals, making a 33 week season, (giving players 6 weeks off, and allowing for 3 months pre-season.

If the GF is played in October, then (working on round figures, as I don't have a calender handy) we could still start the season in the same week as we presently do!

And of course finals would be played at relevant grounds, with the last week only being at the MCG, (so it shouldn't cause a problem, as the first pura cup isn't till october, so they could just schedule Victoria's first game(s) away).

Players are limited to a maximum of 25 Games in the season (as many as they would play now). This applies only to regular season (anyone in squad can play finals, no matter how much they have played).

Team Lists are increased to 45 + upto 5 rookies.

Salary Cap increased by 20%? (Whatever would end up being a fair and equitable figure, considering the list increase, and extra games (up to 3).

Transport:

AFL introduces it's own 'airline' (in reality probably chartered Qantas jets), and incurs all travel costs for the teams (coaches for Vic teams I guess). They transport say:

24 players, Head Coach
16 support staff (including coaching panel, physio's, etc)

Totalling 40 people (surely they could out-fit a 737 or something to carry 40 people, while providing comfortable seating, and facilities etc.?)

Any other transport is the responsibility of the Clubs themselves. This reduces the inequity in travel costs between clubs.

This amount would probably also come directly out of the Club Dividends.

Gate-Takings:

Not sure of the split now, but with home-&-away now equal, all taking for home-&-away are split 40/40/20, with both home and away teams sharing the takings, and the AFL taking 20% for it's own purposes (which would be included as part of the Dividend).

Premierships:

Dan might like this one, premierships awarded for top of the ladder after H&A, (minor premiership), and also the Granny.

Prizemoney:

To keep an element of the pre-season cup, there is also prizemoney to be won determined by finishing position.

Draft:

Based on ladder position, irrespective of position after finals. (ie if team finishing fourth win premiership, they still have the 13th pick).

Originally posted by PC28
The season should go for 51 weeks of the year.

Need one week to buy next seasons membership & family days & best and fairest

I agree, but I am not sure if you are serious or not. 51 weeks. A dream come true.

Originally posted by play on

I agree, but I am not sure if you are serious or not. 51 weeks. A dream come true.

The way the videos are running at my place at the moment, you'd swear it was the middle of the season.

I can't remember the last time the Doggies dropped a game :D

Chev,

Currently the season starts in February, but only because the Ansett Cup begins at that time. This a "pre-season" tournament and a warm-up for the regular season. Now l I like the Ansett Cup, and think it is worth winning, but you can't use the example of the current season starting in February, when the only reason it does so, is because the "pre-season" (notice the prefix PRE) begins at that time.

What you are proposing is for the ACTUAL season to start in Mid -February -Summer time! Not the pre-season, but the ACTUAL SEASON!

I can't see it happening.

However it is workable, I suppose as Simon_Nesbitt pointed out.

I agree with all of your point Simon, except I like the idea of a 8-team knockout finals series, over three weeks, comprising the 33-week season. Double chances are a lod of crap, and anyone who thinks a team should get a double chance doesn't know what they are talking about. Double chances are vomit.

I also don't think players should be restrcted to 25 games. It is up to the clubs to manage their playing list - its not up to the AFL to decide if fit players can play or not. What if a player is fit, is playing well, and is a quality footballer, and is not injured? Why should he have to sit out five matches?

Granted, most players will NEED the rest at various times, but that is up to the clubs to mange. English Premier League clubs mange their players in a similar way. They could play in every match in theory - there is no rule against it, but clubs are quite delicate in managing their star players.

And as I have said many times before (asn as you said in your post), we MUST give more recognition to the top team. They are the pace-setters they are the team that has won the most games, and they are the "premeir" (according to the definition) team in the competiton. I suggest one million dollars prizemoney, a big trophy, presented publicly, with winners medals going to all players who competed in at least one match. Two major trophies to win - the H&A premiership, and the Grand Final

Grand Final is played as normal, but the winner gets NO cash. Nothing. They just get the premiershuip cup, as normal. The Grand Final doesn't need a cash incentive for it to be big. It will be big anyway.

The only cash incentive should be a massive one million dollars for the home and away premier. Make it known by the AFL that they consider it the hardest achievment in football - being the best over 6 months.

Originally posted by Dan26
Chev,

Currently the season starts in February, but only because the Ansett Cup begins at that time. This a "pre-season" tournament and a warm-up for the regular season. Now l I like the Ansett Cup, and think it is worth winning, but you can't use the example of the current season starting in February, when the only reason it does so, is because the "pre-season" (notice the prefix PRE) begins at that time.

What you are proposing is for the ACTUAL season to start in Mid -February -Summer time! Not the pre-season, but the ACTUAL SEASON!

I can't see it happening.

However it is workable, I suppose as Simon_Nesbitt pointed out.

I agree with all of your point Simon, except I like the idea of a 8-team knockout finals series, over three weeks, comprising the 33-week season. Double chances are a lod of crap, and anyone who thinks a team should get a double chance doesn't know what they are talking about. Double chances are vomit.

I also don't think players should be restrcted to 25 games. It is up to the clubs to manage their playing list - its not up to the AFL to decide if fit players can play or not. What if a player is fit, is playing well, and is a quality footballer, and is not injured? Why should he have to sit out five matches?

Granted, most players will NEED the rest at various times, but that is up to the clubs to mange. English Premier League clubs mange their players in a similar way. They could play in every match in theory - there is no rule against it, but clubs are quite delicate in managing their star players.

And as I have said many times before (asn as you said in your post), we MUST give more recognition to the top team. They are the pace-setters they are the team that has won the most games, and they are the "premeir" (according to the definition) team in the competiton. I suggest one million dollars prizemoney, a big trophy, presented publicly, with winners medals going to all players who competed in at least one match. Two major trophies to win - the H&A premiership, and the Grand Final

Grand Final is played as normal, but the winner gets NO cash. Nothing. They just get the premiershuip cup, as normal. The Grand Final doesn't need a cash incentive for it to be big. It will be big anyway.

The only cash incentive should be a massive one million dollars for the home and away premier. Make it known by the AFL that they consider it the hardest achievment in football - being the best over 6 months.

Rumour has it that ch 9 are pissed off at not getting any of the finals series. Perhaps they might 'talk up' tha minor premiership, maybe even have a presentation in round 22

Hopefully, Pess

I'd like to see a huge tophy, aesthetically larger and more elborate than the Grand Final Cup, given to the H&A premier. It could be a symbol, saying : "Yes, we ackowledge that it is harder to finish on top than it is to win the GF"

BTW, just because the season is uneven, is no reason not to reward to the H&A champion. The finals series is unever too - more uneven than the H&A season. After 22 weeks, uneven draw or not, the top team will have "earnt" their success more so than the GF winner, in my opinion, simply due to their consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season comp or 30 round season ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back