Mega Thread Pre-season thread - Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you ever have anything positive to say or offer anything to the discussion RP? You only seem to post to put down people who contribute a ton more than you do to the discussion here.

Back on topic. For what it is worth Ive seen Gumby train and he looks really quick on the lead. Quick enough to beat Lukey Mac on the lead in match sims. In my view his fitness was always good and he was fit enough to finish in the middle of the pack in 3k run right at the start of the preseason. His fitness has developed since then considerably and his marking has been outstanding in training.

Well said.

Do you ever have anything positive to say or offer anything to the discussion RP? You only seem to post to put down people who contribute a ton more than you do to the discussion here.

Back on topic. For what it is worth Ive seen Gumby train and he looks really quick on the lead. Quick enough to beat Lukey Mac on the lead in match sims. In my view his fitness was always good and he was fit enough to finish in the middle of the pack in 3k run right at the start of the preseason. His fitness has developed since then considerably and his marking has been outstanding in training.

Yep, he ran a 15+ beep test at Essendon. You don't do that unless you're very fit, especially for a key forward.

Way to keep the thread on topic sherrif. Please try and do better with post 331.

Oh Reg, you so BAD!

So, this Apeness lad. Heard great things about him pre-draft and was happy when we grabbed him.

Forward or ruck?

Obviously unproven at either as yet but from training reports he's doing more forward drills than rucking.
He's got quite a burst of speed off the mark from all reports and his draft footage shows he can clunk them - will benefit from having a couple of years to learn the craft, especially with the great one as his mentor

Obviously unproven at either as yet but from training reports he's doing more forward drills than rucking.
He's got quite a burst of speed off the mark from all reports and his draft footage shows he can clunk them - will benefit from having a couple of years to learn the craft, especially with the great one as his mentor
He has trained separately from the main squad. Running laps and working out in the gym. Like you say he is unproven as he hasn't done full match sims but he has an excellent burst of pace and looks a great build.

Just the direction of the last 10 or so posts Reg and it occurred to me that the Pav we are seeing now has been denied us.
I tend to believe that the even more realistic prospect of a premiership to Old man Pav and the overall upped training intensity of the squad, not ignoring also the clean bill of health is a pretty good motivator when you're on your last roll of the dice. But hey, if people are looking for martyrs as to why we didn't see this 5 yrs ago..

So, this Apeness lad. Heard great things about him pre-draft and was happy when we grabbed him.

Forward or ruck?

He had more marks than any other player in that draft didn't he = forward/2nd ruck.

Must admit I was disappointed when we drafted him as he read as a ruck. Later the stats about his marking and mobility came out, and seemed like a good selection. Also seems to be an aggressive streak which I like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sherrif offers more information in one post than you do in an entire thread.
More sabre rattling from the peanut gallery. Keep it on topic fellas. If you really want to be publicly humiliated, do it in another thread.

Pigs isn't he.
It is not a reference to marking, kicking and handballing.

He is doing things now that he would not before, notwithstanding physical capabilities.
My take on this is that Pav is no longer preoccupied with career longevity and we are finally seeing him give the full 100%.

Oh Reg, you so BAD!

Forward or ruck?

Apeness has outstanding speed. It looks unusual to see his speed on such a tall man.
Him gonna be good.
We will never know for sure but it would not surprise if we had have overlooked Cam McCarthy for Apeness in the draft. Obviously we did not get the chance on McCarthy but it does not look like we were disappointed.

I hope we get a glimpse of him in NAB game on 18th.

Oh, and to answer your question. I reckon he is the replacement for Pav in 2017. (KPF).
He is also a contingency if Gumbleton fails. He looks ideal for Forward and Ruckwork in the forward half.

Last edited:
Pigs isn't he.
It is not a reference to marking, kicking and handballing.

He is doing things now that he would not before, notwithstanding physical capabilities.
Might as well add this to the list of "Crap Fred Ziffel says".

We will never know for sure but it would not surprise if we had have overlooked Cam McCarthy for Apeness in the draft

This is my thinking as well but the other training reporters aren't in agreement.

Forward or ruck?

Most reports pre-draft talked about him mainly as a ruckman, but after we picked him up the talk from our end was mainly as a forward.
Lloyd :
“To get Michael in as a real strong, power forward was really exciting for the football club.

“He’s someone that we can really develop. He would have been the biggest contested mark in the TAC Cup program, if not the country this year.”

So I suspect he'll be developed as a forward and his ability to ruck is bonus flexibility.

Off topic, is your bet with FootyFreak finished or does it have another year left?

Most reports pre-draft talked about him mainly as a ruckman, but after we picked him up the talk from our end was mainly as a forward.
Lloyd :
“To get Michael in as a real strong, power forward was really exciting for the football club.

“He’s someone that we can really develop. He would have been the biggest contested mark in the TAC Cup program, if not the country this year.”

So I suspect he'll be developed as a forward and his ability to ruck is bonus flexibility.

Off topic, is your bet with FootyFreak finished or does it have another year left?

Cheers to you and the others. My man in Victoria was doing cartwheels about this kid before the draft and reckoned that he deserved to go even higher based on his potential.

Pretty sure that we have another year to run yet. At least, I bloody well hope so!

Is there training on today? I get a feeling they've swapped to the normal seasons Tuesday / Thursday Training (since a closed intraclub match last Tuesday 4th and an open one a week later on the 11th)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back