Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Collins is a freaking beast - he'll take his time like most big guys, but we'll no longer fear playing against an massive and in-form KPF like Hawkins.

Our backline is looking increasingly good for the future, which is something I didn't think I'd say a year ago. A good season from Toyd and big Red and a few of the 2014 draftees continuing their improvement and our list profile in general looks pretty good. Secure a ruck and maybe a KPD in f.a in the next year or two and maybe we're almost there.

Collins is a freaking beast - he'll take his time like most big guys, but we'll no longer fear playing against an massive and in-form KPF like Hawkins.

Our backline is looking increasingly good for the future, which is something I didn't think I'd say a year ago. A good season from Toyd and big Red and a few of the 2014 draftees continuing their improvement and our list profile in general looks pretty good. Secure a ruck and maybe a KPD in f.a in the next year or two and maybe we're almost there.
Ruck is the only real hole in the list at the moment. A league average performance from one of our current rucks could be the difference this year.

Ruck is the only real hole in the list at the moment. A league average performance from one of our current rucks could be the difference this year.
Rewatched the rd 19 or thereabouts Doggies vs Port game lately and Campbell played very well. Much better than Lobbe. With chopout he'll be ok. Big Red ain't too bad. And Roughie gets his hands up high.
I think we need a fast small back that can lock down on an Eddie Betts type player and a genuine break the lines type winger, especially now Grant's gone. We have potential players for these roles and KPP but they are all developing rather than A or B grade

Hmm I'm not entirely convinced on any of our KPP at this stage really.
We have the assets, high value assets at each end with many years left to play. Ruck we don't quite. Campbell has his limitations. Minson the same and he is old. Goetz is raw as anything and is a rookie in his first pre season. Roughy is injury prone. I have a very good feeling that Collins will help hold our backline structure together.
Rewatched the rd 19 or thereabouts Doggies vs Port game lately and Campbell played very well. Much better than Lobbe. With chopout he'll be ok. Big Red ain't too bad. And Roughie gets his hands up high.
I think we need a fast small back that can lock down on an Eddie Betts type player and a genuine break the lines type winger, especially now Grant's gone. We have potential players for these roles and KPP but they are all developing rather than A or B grade
JJ missed that game, I am sure he would've contained Betts. I think we should continue developing these spots through our own ranks. Both Baileys could make it as a wing and both have better skills by foot than Grant. His shots for goal in the final in the end cost him his spot on the list. He walked a fine line every season with short contracts. When decision time came his skills by foot cost him.

We have the assets, high value assets at each end with many years left to play. Ruck we don't quite. Campbell has his limitations. Minson the same and he is old. Goetz is raw as anything and is a rookie in his first pre season. Roughy is injury prone. I have a very good feeling that Collins will help hold our backline structure together.

JJ missed that game, I am sure he would've contained Betts. I think we should continue developing these spots through our own ranks. Both Baileys could make it as a wing and both have better skills by foot than Grant. His shots for goal in the final in the end cost him his spot on the list. He walked a fine line every season with short contracts. When decision time came his skills by foot cost him.
Don't know anyone could have contained Betts in that game. JJ has great top speed but Betts is clever and very fast off the mark
Watched the great elimination final between dogs and pies on you tube yesterday. Two of our most damaging players for that great victory were Farren Ray and Jordon McMahon, o yea, Gilbee's kicking, Robbins marking, Coons, West, Johnno and Montgomery all good.
Brodie Holland and Collingwood tried to really rough up and intimidate the doggies early, but it was funny once Big Wilbur came on and went at the bodies like a maniac .. some of the pies players looked genuinely shocked and surprised at his ferocity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, things starting to get serious now. I will be trying to head to training next couple of weeks in the hope to see some meaningful match simulation and or pracies. Anyone hears whispers on when we might see this action please post.

Family day next sat - we are promised a proper match at around 9.30am

Don't know anyone could have contained Betts in that game. JJ has great top speed but Betts is clever and very fast off the mark
Watched the great elimination final between dogs and pies on you tube yesterday. Two of our most damaging players for that great victory were Farren Ray and Jordon McMahon, o yea, Gilbee's kicking, Robbins marking, Coons, West, Johnno and Montgomery all good.
Brodie Holland and Collingwood tried to really rough up and intimidate the doggies early, but it was funny once Big Wilbur came on and went at the bodies like a maniac .. some of the pies players looked genuinely shocked and surprised at his ferocity.
JJ did the job on Betts earlier in the season, moved on to him and kept him quiet for majority of the match. At least it would've been a logical matchup.

I'm curious as to how many think we can play Collins straight away. He is big enough, fit enough and when you compare him to Talia who was playing games for us last season Collins uses his body better, positions himself better in 1 on 1 contests, uses the ball better and fits our structure better. I have bad memories of Joe Daniher being all over Talia... I can't see this happening to Collins at all.

I think it'd depend on fitness during NAB game etc. Probably doesn't get first crack though, due to Freo's lack of big KPFs, but should start pushing for senior selection after a month or so in the VFL i'd reckon.

JJ did the job on Betts earlier in the season, moved on to him and kept him quiet for majority of the match. At least it would've been a logical matchup.

I'm curious as to how many think we can play Collins straight away. He is big enough, fit enough and when you compare him to Talia who was playing games for us last season Collins uses his body better, positions himself better in 1 on 1 contests, uses the ball better and fits our structure better. I have bad memories of Joe Daniher being all over Talia... I can't see this happening to Collins at all.
It would be extraordinary for an 18yo KPD to be playing straight away, especially one who wasn't even a top 20 selection. It just hardly ever happens because they need time to learn their craft against grown men (no matter what physique they have). Weitering might be an exception this year, but then he's a #1 pick playing for the reigning wooden spooners.

I'm not saying Collins can't play seniors in Round 1, but it would mean one of two things if he did: either we have an exceptional talent who will become a 200 gamer, or the cupboard is empty. I know our KPD stocks have been thin but they aren't empty.

TBH I'm surprised he's being talked up so much. How many here have actually seen him play a game of footy? I'm not going to get excited until I've seen him play a bit.

Let's see what Collins does in the NAB matches first. If he puts in a few good games then he'll be some sort of show. However at this stage I reckon he'd be a 3-1 chance.

If we get more than 5 games out of Collins we've either had injury problems or he's been well and truly exceptional.
Our coach has no issue playing young guys. Zaine had injury issues and was able to play 2 games last season. If a late picked KPD with injury issues can play 2 games I think an early picked man child can earn more than 5.

Our coach has no issue playing young guys. Zaine had injury issues and was able to play 2 games last season. If a late picked KPD with injury issues can play 2 games I think an early picked man child can earn more than 5.
We had some pretty bad injury problems with tall backs last year. Dale missed plenty, as did Hamling and Roberts, even a structural player like Roughy could barely get on the ground late in the year.

It would be extraordinary for an 18yo KPD to be playing straight away, especially one who wasn't even a top 20 selection. It just hardly ever happens because they need time to learn their craft against grown men (no matter what physique they have). Weitering might be an exception this year, but then he's a #1 pick playing for the reigning wooden spooners.

I'm not saying Collins can't play seniors in Round 1, but it would mean one of two things if he did: either we have an exceptional talent who will become a 200 gamer, or the cupboard is empty. I know our KPD stocks have been thin but they aren't empty.

TBH I'm surprised he's being talked up so much. How many here have actually seen him play a game of footy? I'm not going to get excited until I've seen him play a bit.

Let's see what Collins does in the NAB matches first. If he puts in a few good games then he'll be some sort of show. However at this stage I reckon he'd be a 3-1 chance.
I think it's because of his size. How many 18 year olds weight 94 kegs and are that stacked? He's an absolute beast size wise. It's quite remarkable how physically developed he is. From reports, he is a good intercept mark. Undoubtedly, he will need time to work on the gameplan and get used to the speed of the game, which will take time and we will need to be patient with him. I think we will see him intelligently rotated and he'll get around that 10 game mark that we have seen from last year's debutantes.

I think it's because of his size. How many 18 year olds weight 94 kegs and are that stacked? He's an absolute beast size wise. It's quite remarkable how physically developed he is. From reports, he is a good intercept mark. Undoubtedly, he will need time to work on the gameplan and get used to the speed of the game, which will take time and we will need to be patient with him. I think we will see him intelligently rotated and he'll get around that 10 game mark that we have seen from last year's debutantes.
Love the excitement around the kid and can't wait to see him in action, but expectations on you young KP player in his first year need to tempered. I really don't expect him to play a lot this year. If he does, like has been said earlier, we will have had injury or form issues with others, or this kid is total freak.

Remember Talia's older brother had his opportunities in his first year with Adelaide and had a red hot go...then went on to win the Rising star award....

Key defence is far more about craft than bicep size. I'll keep my powder dry on Collins and Adams for the time being
Come on fronk remember the classic it was the "guns that won the west".
As a weight to height man i think it's great that we finally recruited some
KPD talent that did not weigh 80 kg as the experts on healthy weight
gain in AFL say that between 3 to 6 kg a year gain does not compromise
the integrity of the body and lead to various injuries. Zaine, Hammer
and even Fletch have been on the long road to weight to height equality
while Adams and Collins have already arrived and can start learning the
craft from day one.

Note- Dale Morris has big biceps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back