Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back onto the Pre-Season Training tread for a second.... I too went up to the Sunday training session up at the Sunshine Coast.
The players and coaching staff were great to all the dogs supporters who showed up but special mention to Bob Murphy, Jordan Roughed and Will Minson who all put in an extra effort to chat. Maybe they wanted to avoid the ice bath.
The boys were meant to train again today (was forecasted to be 38 degrees). They will be back in Melbourne on Friday.
I was surprised to hear Roughed say he did not know his round one opponent. I told him Freo in Melbourne, and he said he knew they were in Melbourne for the first few weeks. He is still being eased into full training as is Libba and a few others.

Just looked at the stats again. It almost beggars belief we lost it.
Poor conversion will kill you every time and is inexcusable. There are some players that cause you to cover your eyes when they are lining up for goal. This must improve.

A Deledio-less Richmond by 19, that is. In a game we controlled from start to finish, despite taking the field with a considerably younger side, after a considerably more difficult opening round. Without Liberatore. ;)

I'm sorry, I just don't handle it well when our 2015 victories are discredited, given the circumstances. :cool:

And poor Trent Cotchin being abused by his competition and the umpires having to make him feel better.

A Deledio-less Richmond by 19, that is. In a game we controlled from start to finish, despite taking the field with a considerably younger side, after a considerably more difficult opening round. Without Liberatore. ;)

I'm sorry, I just don't handle it well when our 2015 victories are discredited, given the circumstances. :cool:
Sorry Ozil, yeah 85 points to 66 points, Bont with 27 Dickson kicked four.
Don't know where i got the two points from and i was not discrediting our
wins, just making the simple point i thought we deserved a home final they
did not make West Coast or Freo play at the MCG because their stadium
only holds low forties. I think our Home and Away differentials are of
concern, we are a much better team at Etihad it suits our game style.

Don't know where i got the two points from and i was not discrediting our
wins, just making the simple point i thought we deserved a home final they
did not make West Coast or Freo play at the MCG because their stadium
only holds low forties. I think our Home and Away differentials are of
concern, we are a much better team at Etihad it suits our game style.
I agree with all that, there's no doubting our Etihad form blows our form elsewhere out of the water and we deserved to play at our home ground.

We copped a bit of stick for that, which is ridiculous because it's our home ground and of course our form at home will be better - especially when we're lucky to play across town twice a year, excluding finals. But yes, it's something we need to fix if we're to contend for a top four spot and a flag.

And I didn't mean to say you were discrediting our wins, but often opposition fans will refer to their side being depleted when we took them on, among other things. Just a defensive mechanism after listening to too many excuses last season :p

We had a lot of players who I think the big stage got to them.
Bont's two set shots - he nails them every time, but not here.

The biggest for me in that aspect was after the fast start. We kick three early goals and our entire team gets pumped up. They want to turn the screws and make it a blowout. The defenders push up the ground to try and pressure the ball/force forward half turnovers, they're "searching" for it rather than maintaining their normal defensive structures. Betts finds room out the back and we know what happens with him in the first quarter...

Don't know where i got the two points from ...
Pretty sure we beat them by 2 points in 2014. You probably remembered that one.

We had a lot of players who I think the big stage got to them.
Bont's two set shots - he nails them every time, but not here.

The biggest for me in that aspect was after the fast start. We kick three early goals and our entire team gets pumped up. They want to turn the screws and make it a blowout. The defenders push up the ground to try and pressure the ball/force forward half turnovers, they're "searching" for it rather than maintaining their normal defensive structures. Betts finds room out the back and we know what happens with him in the first quarter...
Players got too high up the park, trying to maintain front position on their man. After quarter time they let their opponents run past them and maintained the zone better. Unfortunately the damage was done and the crows had a sniff.... Got a few softees from the umpires who were trying to even up the game due to our dominance. Luckily for them they then kicked straighter than they ever have.

I am watching this game (Adel vs. us 2015 Final) and geez Lin Jong played well. Big things coming for him this year.

Reminded me of his early season form before he busted his hand. His mark in the forward 50 was brilliant. Definitely adds something different to our team when he is fit and firing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.....they are.....but it was the Bont who missed 2 from about 30 out. Pure and simple, we kicked straighter that night we win.

He hit the post kicking from 40 out, then missed the next one slightly to the right kicking from 50 out. Simple? Maybe for the Bont, but you have to expect some pressure in finals. I'm confident it was an aberration.

It's not like he kicked 2 out on the full from directly infront like Nat Fyfe did in the 2013 GF.

Dahlhaus and Grant on the other hand.......

Dahlhaus? If we're talking about the final, he did nothing wrong.

That comment was in general, not specifically the final, and Dahlhaus is a pathetic set shot. It's good luck more than good management if he kicks it. However on the snap or at ground level he's extraordinary. His field kicking is often poor too. Stringer got better and can kick them well, but he can also kick in swingers for fun and miss right.

Yes.....they are.....but it was the Bont who missed 2 from about 30 out. Pure and simple, we kicked straighter that night we win.

Yeah but one hit the post and the other just missed. Not apologizing for him because he needed to kick them, but his kicking is the last of our problems. He's got a great left leg.

He hit the post kicking from 40 out, then missed the next one slightly to the right kicking from 50 out. Simple? Maybe for the Bont, but you have to expect some pressure in finals. I'm confident it was an aberration.

It's not like he kicked 2 out on the full from directly infront like Nat Fyfe did in the 2013 GF.

Dahlhaus and Grant on the other hand.......

My recollection is both of these set shots were from no more than 35m out and minimal angle. Should have been a piece of cake for the Bont.

Also agree with earlier comments about Dahlhaus set shots, he is very poor. Looks so uneasy, I feel he would much rather be kicking for goal while being slung in a tackle.

I was surprised to hear Roughed say he did not know his round one opponent. I told him Freo in Melbourne, and he said he knew they were in Melbourne for the first few weeks. He is still being eased into full training as is Libba and a few others.

He must have not checked the vfl fixture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etihad is a cop out, we won eleven of thirteen there and we should have
beaten the Saints in round six and Freo as well . We won three games
away from Etihad we beat a depleted Richmond by two points(MCG). We beat
Sydney by four on a boggy (SCG) and lost our next three and we beat the
dominant Gold Coast coming from 39 points down in the last quarter (cazaly).
However i agree with you we lost the final on conversion.

What a load of crap! We absolutely smashed Richmond and should have won by 6 goals rather than 19 points (not 2?)
Richmond had everyone bar Delusional playing and we accounted for them easily.

What a load of crap! We absolutely smashed Richmond and should have won by 6 goals rather than 19 points (not 2?)
Richmond had everyone bar Delusional playing and we accounted for them easily.

Richmond are the most overrated side in predictions made this season. They are still a one dimensional forward line and backline and a midfield I'd describe as around the middle rung of the competition.

Not to mention their big recruit spent half the year in the VFL last season in the worst side in the comp.

Richmond also aren't getting anywhere with that forward line. You need 3 - 4 guys at minimum who can kick 30 + goals a season and Richmond barely have 2 (and thats if you include brain fade Vickery).

We still trading Dahlhaus for him :p

9/10 we beat Richmond with our current squad. Apart from one key defender and one key forward position I'd say we match them all over the park, if not better in each and every single position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back