Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He should have been allowed to do it at the Gabba after the Tigers game, I wasn't referring to him playing tonight
Fagan’s level headed so am certain that he had his justifications on not having a big send off for Mitch after the tigers game. Like I posted earlier Mitch very well could’ve played in the prelim or GF if we had made it (injury or selection change).

Not a fan of him mentioning Fagan in his Instagram post. Might’ve been him feeling like he had to justify himself to supporters for not having announced it at the game and not a dig at Fagan though.

Here's some inspiration for next year. Courtesy of Garry Lyon

Wonder if he said the same about Geelong last year after they got done in a prelim?

Or maybe he said it about Melbourne last week after they got bundled out by a side that are “irrelevant”?

What’s that? He didn’t? Well I never.

Another campaign comes to a close. Let the silly season begin.

Heard a couple of opposition players after Geelong games this year comment on them being too big and too strong and we certainly saw that tonight. Can throw in too fast as well.

With a poor start from Big O, an inability or unwillingness to adjust to their spare back, it really was skill errors that took the fight out of us. For a long period in the first half every error, from dropped uncontested marks to fumbling, all over the ground, resulted in a kick on goal.

It may have been a game too far but I don't think the coaching was at it's best tonight either.

We aren't winning prelims playing casual mids like Bailey for long stints in there so as many have mentioned the reset starts there.

We didn't really play any four quarter games against the better teams this season so with two excellent finals wins, a prelim is definitely a pass mark for this season IMHO.

Fagan’s level headed so am certain that he had his justifications on not having a big send off for Mitch after the tigers game. Like I posted earlier Mitch very well could’ve played in the prelim or GF if we had made it (injury or selection change).

Not a fan of him mentioning Fagan in his Instagram post. Might’ve been him feeling like he had to justify himself to supporters for not having announced it at the game and not a dig at Fagan though.
I agree with you there, and in retrospect I agree it was poor form by him. Gains nothing by posting it at that time, wait until daylight at least. I was at the Gabba for the win against the Tigers, and you could see Andrews and some others hanging back around him as if they were waiting to do the chair lift off. He'd become such a cult at the club, I guess nostalgically you wanted to see that chair lift, the applause for a soldier of the Lions. But yep, season wasn't done at that stage.

305400338_5309400835773813_3027212012471606540_n.jpg

This was posted 12 hours ago. They flugging smacked us tonight and defended it as well. They are primed to win next week if they keep it up

Just got home from the game. Geez Geelong's structure is awesome. When you think we have gained a turnover ( not many tonight) and we are going to go through the midfield or wing it staggered me that Geelong still could out number us in our forward 50 when we went forward. They made us look slow re the amount of times they moved the ball from defensive 50 to forward 50 with handball and us trailing badly. Did frustrate me why Tom Stewart was just allowed to roam freely all night and play the loose man. Geez we need some more depth in the midfield as everyone knows but stood out tonight. Poor Lachie being scragged in the middle alot of times. Interesting trade times this year for our club.

there were early moments where I was getting hyped, thinking Rayner was going to be our igniter, thinking "ahh don't worry, Fages will get in the ear of our players and we'll fix up our kicking DIRECTLY to the opposition players over and over"...

For this game as a single game, it is surely a disappointing match. Very very disappointing. As a prelim final, it is just a disappointing loss, with some elements of learnings thrown in ;). As the final match of our season & finals campaign.. I can't help being quite happy to be perfectly honest. A more nuanced take will be fleshed out by many posters as we go into the offseason i'm sure. My 1am ramblings lead me to being happy we managed to wrestle a season back to our control that could have rolled down the hill to a miserable end. Without major personnel changes or coaching maneuvers, I thought we did really well (maybe we could classify Dev & Wilmot as major changes though... but there was probably the option for even more). Some games you just don't match up well, or things don't go your way.

Bringing in other players earlier on in the season may have fixed this, and trying different tactics blah blah etc etc so on and so on. But for what this match was culminating as, I can't go to bed too displeased :)

Ultimately, we fell down both as a team, as individuals, and as a club. Hard to kick players when they're down, but its a shame so many had quiet nights. People may say we played our final last two weeks... but what the hell is the finals series supposed to be otherwise!?? I want the top goddamn teams to go to war and battle their way to the top. An easy run to a GF with a win may be nice, but I think we all knew that wouldn't be on our cards. We fought hard for two really exciting matches, and just couldn't do it one more time.

Good to see two young players topping our votes.

And finally I hope all our Lions have a enjoyable and healthy off-season and can enjoy the break with their loved ones :)

Disappointing night. Never good when you feel like in a 71 point loss the scoreboard flatters your team. Stating the obvious but Geelong are very well drilled. Set up behind the ball so well and they just seem to have a sixth sense knowing when their teammates are going to win a contest and that they can hold their ground. Just seemed to have two extra players everywhere and any time they were needed. Our boys were so flat. Crowd were desperate to get into it but just weren't given the chance. Saw a lot of people leaving early.

Both midfield and forwards had a dirty night but the midfield was less impressive imo. We really need a deputy for Lachie, God, I hope Dunkley agrees to come to us. I get that Gawn was a bit sore in the second half last week which may have somewhat boosted his performance but Oscar didn't feel like an upgrade in the ruck to me tonight. The battle for number one ruck next year, assuming we don't go with a two ruck plan, will be interesting.

Feel down but not all doom and gloom. Cats got thumped in their prelim last year too. Some new personnel across the field, especially the midfield with Ashcroft and hopefully Dunkley, tweaking the gameplan to new strengths and restructuring the forward line post McStay should allow us to hold ground at minimum but I'm optimistic it won't take much to improve and go that next step, even if we were shit tonight.

Another campaign comes to a close. Let the silly season begin.

Heard a couple of opposition players after Geelong games this year comment on them being too big and too strong and we certainly saw that tonight. Can throw in too fast as well.

With a poor start from Big O, an inability or unwillingness to adjust to their spare back, it really was skill errors that took the fight out of us. For a long period in the first half every error, from dropped uncontested marks to fumbling, all over the ground, resulted in a kick on goal.

It may have been a game too far but I don't think the coaching was at it's best tonight either.

We aren't winning prelims playing casual mids like Bailey for long stints in there so as many have mentioned the reset starts there.

We didn't really play any four quarter games against the better teams this season so with two excellent finals wins, a prelim is definitely a pass mark for this season IMHO.

I'd call our game against the Swans a four quarter effort. Even when Buddy turned on God mode in the third we didn't capitulate and from memory still won the quarter. That would be the only one I think though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two words that come to mind bent over that’s what what happened to the lions tonight, what a demo job unbelievable danger played out of his skin.

Was honestly an absolute shellacking one more win too go.

Up the cats

Too old too slow too good!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Truly the greatest team of all, winning every premiership since 2012.

Two words that come to mind bent over that’s what what happened to the lions tonight, what a demo job unbelievable danger played out of his skin.

Up the cats

I just imagine a very happy drunk Cats fan behind that phone, grinning ear to ear.

Can't even be mad. Enjoy it.

Up the cats

Their supporters may be a bit slow but their team certainly isn't.

Man that sucked.

They were just too good.I think think they will win easily next week.

We have work to do.

Still I didn't expect us to get this far. It's been a fun season.

I'm trying to work out what personnel changes are needed... what we need, what we should let go of.

Like everyone else feeling flat, but seeking positives Rayner is built for the big stage, hope his ankles ok and he can get in another full preseason.

Could be anything next year! seeing improvement in Payne and Dev Robertson too.

Concerned Noah may not have any improvement in him, if i were in charge would be inviting him to explore his options.

Thought our key defenders played well, if Marcus comes back next year, and Gardiner re-signs who misses out?

Maybe Payne could play deep forward? Can take a mark and is built so much more solidly than Joe and Eric, if only he can learn to utilise that strength.

Liked what Willmott brought these last few games, Kiddy had a breakout season, looking forward to seeing hopefully 2 new best 22 mids next season.

Try and enjoy your weekends everyone, we aren't yet a great side but have some decent foundations!

Does anyone have any idea of the Mitch situation and what the issues might be?

Mitch did say ‘this was my last game at the Gabba’ in interviews didn’t he?

Did he want a chair at home mid campaign? What if he got picked again? We all knew it was his last game?

This is obviously why he was upset in that post earlier in the week, he knew his good bye game wasn’t happening.

I am not sure (if true) why Fages would have a an issue with Mitch announcing ‘I am finishing up’ even if he is going to another club, hardly a distraction? There must be something more to it.

I think Mitch should understand that going into you last year/years things don’t always work out perfectly, we will all get the chance to say thank you - just through social media which is where he connects anyway, missing a home chairing off mid finals should not be catalyst to take a swipe at the coach on the way out.

Commiserations on the loss guys, we have had our fair share of losing prelims (and getting thumped in prelims) so we know how it feels.

Your win last week was a huge monkey off your back and can propel you one step further next year IMO.

Hope Lachie wins the Brownlow tomorrow! Good luck next season 👍

Another big lesson for this team. Just smashed all over the park. A disappointing end to our finals run but I think Geelong are a pretty clear number 1 team in the comp this year.

So many of our better players were well below their best which just gives us no chance.

Bring in 2023

Does anyone have any idea of the Mitch situation and what the issues might be?

Mitch did say ‘this was my last game at the Gabba’ in interviews didn’t he?

Did he want a chair at home mid campaign? What if he got picked again? We all knew it was his last game?

This is obviously why he was upset in that post earlier in the week, he knew his good bye game wasn’t happening.

I am not sure (if true) why Fages would have a an issue with Mitch announcing ‘I am finishing up’ even if he is going to another club, hardly a distraction? There must be something more to it.

I think Mitch should understand that going into you last year/years things don’t always work out perfectly, we will all get the chance to say thank you - just through social media which is where he connects anyway, missing a home chairing off mid finals should not be catalyst to take a swipe at the coach on the way out.
Due to the fact he wasn’t announcing his retirement yet…. Still on the hunt for another club. Makes the situation very different

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Back