Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [32] Darcy Fort

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can’t believe Ed nearly gave the game away on third party payments from sponsors on footy classified a few years ago:

Bloody llordo chiming in with nonsense about the bombers, Ed was about to open up Pandora’s box.

That’s the other thing I like about Ed, he has a big mouth and often says the quiet bit out loud

You can only imagine what is going on down at Kardinia Park

Still can’t believe Ed nearly gave the game away on third party payments from sponsors on footy classified a few years ago:

Bloody llordo chiming in with nonsense about the bombers, Ed was about to open up Pandora’s box.

Still lot of smoke about how Beams was getting paid (or someone else needing to be paid) when he went back south

Somebody was asking on here the other day how Geelong is able to bring in so many free agents. (I can’t remember who or where, I’ve read so many big footy threads this week.) But here’s your answer.

It’s just appalling!

Still lot of smoke about how Beams was getting paid (or someone else needing to be paid) when he went back south

Didn’t the AFL also allow Collingwood to pay beams outside the cap which is one part of how they recovered from horrendously mismanaging their cap overnight

Didn’t the AFL also allow Collingwood to pay beams outside the cap which is one part of how they recovered from horrendously mismanaging their cap overnight

I wondered how they recovered so quickly from the Treloar/Stevenson/Grundy fire sale a few years ago.
Are there any media sources for this?

I wondered how they recovered so quickly from the Treloar/Stevenson/Grundy fire sale a few years ago.
Are there any media sources for this?
That fire sale was a big part of it - if you cut three of your probably top six earners, you get back down quickly.

That’s the other thing I like about Ed, he has a big mouth and often says the quiet bit out loud

You can only imagine what is going on down at Kardinia Park

On what might have been Caro’s last footy classified she openly said “Gee, Cotton On has been good for the Cats haven’t they?” lol.

Last edited:
On what might have been Caro’s last footy classified she openly said “Gee, Cotton On has been good for the AFL haven’t they?” lol.

If everybody knows this, why isn’t their more complaints? Is it because all the clubs are doing it? Surely Gold Coast and GWS wouldn’t be getting much in. Why aren’t they calling for an inquiry?

But didn’t they still have to pay those guys’ salaries? Or was it just part of them?
Part of them. They were paying like 300k, while Melbourne/Dogs paid like 500k. It let them still drop like $1m off the books and replaced by guys getting paid around the minimum

Sorry to interupt but no.

The whole reason why Treloar/Stephens/Phillips and Grundy (later) left Collingwood was because of poor list management.
Ned Guy and others thought the Beams payout would be outside the cap. When the AFL ruled otherwise we then found ourselves where we would have been breaching the cap so we either had to dump players for not much in return or end up in a Carlton type situation.

Treloar and Grundy we are still paying where as North and Hawthorn took on our liability in exchange for reduced trade value.

The whole reason why Treloar/Stephens/Phillips and Grundy (later) left Collingwood was because of poor list management.
Ned Guy and others thought the Beams payout would be outside the cap. When the AFL ruled otherwise we then found ourselves where we would have been breaching the cap so we either had to dump players for not much in return or end up in a Carlton type situation.

Treloar and Grundy we are still paying where as North and Hawthorn took on our liability in exchange for reduced trade value.

It was reported and confirmed at the time that the AFL ticked off on part of his salary being paid outside the cap due to the extraordinary circumstances surrounding his retirement. Was this incorrect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dayne Beams - I loved his time playing at the Lions. Things have not been good for him post football and he has torched both clubs he played for.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere...

Jeff White talks about our centre bounce set up...

I think we really underestimate our coaches at times...

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rough figures but I believe with 18 wins in total and only 8 of those wins at the Gabba for the year.. it means we hit a remarkable 10 away wins for the year plus a draw. After the weekend it also makes it 3 wins from our last four attempts at the MCG..
Yep, beating our previous best of 8 non-Gabba wins in 1999.

We all know zorko, Lester, Joe stared meeting mid year and said play the kids and plan for next year.

The bit rocky clarified is that they went to Harris and said we are happy to pay vfl so you can run the kids and get them ready for next year. That these same selfless, team/club first guys just got a premiership makes me want to bawl my eyes out.

What an exceptional group we have.

I want a workplace l8ke this. Hell, i want an extended family like this.

It was reported and confirmed at the time that the AFL ticked off on part of his salary being paid outside the cap due to the extraordinary circumstances surrounding his retirement. Was this incorrect?
Was muddy at the time with no clear AFL comment.

Beams said outside:

Herald Sun:
Collingwood will pay Dayne Beams a portion of his salary both in and outside the salary cap until the end of his four-season deal at the end of 2022.
The Herald Sun understands the confidential deal was struck with full AFL approval after a Collingwood submission about the extraordinary circumstances of his retirement.
Beams retired last November with two years left on his deal, admitting to the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast he had battled with gambling and painkilling tablet addictions.
The AFL has repeatedly refused to clarify the circumstances of what is effectively an exemption for the Pies, which means they will not pay all of that money in the salary cap.
On a back-ended deal that meant he was owed well over $1 million in the last two years of his contract, the Pies and Beams’ management eventually agreed to a settlement figure.
Beams said last week his settlement was not inside the cap, attempting to clarify that he was not the cause of the Pies’ current salary cap issues.
The AFL decision will help the Pies to correct their cap position, which was so diabolical they were forced to move on Jaidyn Stephenson, Tom Phillips and Adam Treloar.

1. AFL ruled inside cap
  2. Collingwood said that we would then be breaching the cap
  3. AFL said get your cap in order
  4. Collingwood had "fire sale" but still slightly over cap (rumoured to be $50K to $100K)
  5. AFL reviewed our books and then signed off the small amount over the cap as outside but inside the soft cap
Anyway sorry to derail your thread to rehash history.

Was muddy at the time with no clear AFL comment.

Beams said outside:

Herald Sun:
Collingwood will pay Dayne Beams a portion of his salary both in and outside the salary cap until the end of his four-season deal at the end of 2022.
The Herald Sun understands the confidential deal was struck with full AFL approval after a Collingwood submission about the extraordinary circumstances of his retirement.
Beams retired last November with two years left on his deal, admitting to the Herald Sun’s Sacked podcast he had battled with gambling and painkilling tablet addictions.
The AFL has repeatedly refused to clarify the circumstances of what is effectively an exemption for the Pies, which means they will not pay all of that money in the salary cap.
On a back-ended deal that meant he was owed well over $1 million in the last two years of his contract, the Pies and Beams’ management eventually agreed to a settlement figure.
Beams said last week his settlement was not inside the cap, attempting to clarify that he was not the cause of the Pies’ current salary cap issues.
The AFL decision will help the Pies to correct their cap position, which was so diabolical they were forced to move on Jaidyn Stephenson, Tom Phillips and Adam Treloar.

1. AFL ruled inside cap
  2. Collingwood said that we would then be breaching the cap
  3. AFL said get your cap in order
  4. Collingwood had "fire sale" but still slightly over cap (rumoured to be $50K to $100K)
  5. AFL reviewed our books and then signed off the small amount over the cap as outside but inside the soft cap
Anyway sorry to derail your thread to rehash history.

No probs. Thanks for the info.

We all know zorko, Lester, Joe stared meeting mid year and said play the kids and plan for next year.

The bit rocky clarified is that they went to Harris and said we are happy to pay vfl so you can run the kids and get them ready for next year. That these same selfless, team/club first guys just got a premiership makes me want to bawl my eyes out.

What an exceptional group we have.

I want a workplace l8ke this. Hell, i want an extended family like this.

Quoting myself isn't pretty but ....

When these guys offered to play vfl they might have also decided that the game had gone past them and they would retire at end of year. So Joe.

But it is the mix of ages achieved so much this year. Which can change their minds again.

I still believe that Joe will stay on. Once he is comfortable that he won't be immediately relegated to vfl.

Nothing wrong with a legend who doesn't want to retire from the vfl. But I do have a special affection for the Lester and big o types that really don't care.

lol- Oscar popped his shoulder again in the GF celebrations and the physios were strapping it again after the GF for the next 3 days.

That might be funny, but it’s not really funny.
He obviously has some pretty serious issues going on for it to be popping out so easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back