Preliminary Final Edition - Which club do you think will win the flag?

Who do you think will win the flag?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • Sydney

Votes: 32 24.8%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 34 26.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They didn't secure the top 2 until the second to last match of the season, though, I thought they were going to drop out of the top 4 after that Port game performance, they came close to losing their position, they were lucky they had non-finalists for their last 3 matches. I can't find any record of a team going with the recent form of 5-5 into a prelim and winning a premiership. The closest I could find is Adelaide with 6-4 in 1998.
Basically secured. They were like 3-4 games and percentage ahead of 3rd. Gave themselves a tiny late scare but it's disingenuous to say they were seriously fighting for top 2.

So it is an outlier situation, meaning an outlier result is very possible.

Basically secured. They were like 3-4 games and percentage ahead of 3rd. Gave themselves a tiny late scare but it's disingenuous to say they were seriously fighting for top 2.

So it is an outlier situation, meaning an outlier result is very possible.
Their form was terrible going into their last 3 matches, so it's not disingenuous, it was a reality their position was on the line. I've been looking for a 5-5 recent form team before a prelim who won a premiership, can not see one. Teams for the most part are 7-3, 8-2, 9-1 or 10-0 before a prelim that win a premiership.

Their form was terrible going into their last 3 matches, so it's not disingenuous, it was a reality their position was on the line. I've been looking for a 5-5 recent form team before a prelim who won a premiership, can not see one. Teams for the most part are 7-3, 8-2, 9-1 or 10-0 before a prelim that win a premiership.
It's disingenuous to suggest top 2 was not all but locked in before their slump. Yes their slump was so unexpectedly severe and prolonged that top 2 came under threat VERY late.

So it is an outlier situation. This is why you can't find similar scenarios. Anything is on the cards from here.

Unfortunately Cats will win. Can't see any non-Victorian club beating them at the MCG.

Only chance Port or Swans have is if Brisbane stop them in the Prelim or if Geelong get a lot of injuries.

If it were at a neutral venue outside Victoria, I think we'd absolutely annihilate them. But ye old boys club. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Port have no pressure, thrive on being the underdogs. they cant handle the favorite tag in finals.
They will win tonight and jag the flag this year

We all know it's going to be Geelong with the umpires help

I doubt they’ll need the umpires help.

I’d like to say Port but Geelong or Brisbane would be my pick.

Now that the Giants have imploded, and the Hawks arrogated, one needs to look hard at the team that looks most real, least flawed, going about their business without fuss, bluster, or pretense.

Only one answer: Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port have no pressure, thrive on being the underdogs. they cant handle the favorite tag in finals.
They will win tonight and jag the flag this year

We do struggle with expectation pressure but we flourish under sack Hinkley pressure, which unfortunately for us has all been released since Kochie's announcement.

Unfortunately Cats will win. Can't see any non-Victorian club beating them at the MCG.

Only chance Port or Swans have is if Brisbane stop them in the Prelim or if Geelong get a lot of injuries.

If it were at a neutral venue outside Victoria, I think we'd absolutely annihilate them. But ye old boys club. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Amazing persecution complex ready and waiting.

If you're actually good enough you win anywhere, and before you say it, Geelong are the same with the Kardinia Park debate.

When we're actually the best side it never seems to trouble us. It didn't in '07-11, and it didn't in '22.

It's only when we became a borderline contender that people chose to bring it up. It's a safety net from a supporter POV.

As 'unfair' as it may seem, you play between the rules that are given to you. They haven't changed in 100 years, and they don't look like changing anytime soon.

If paid professional athletes can't handle that then that's their problem.

It's a field of grass with goalposts at either end, it's not a subcontinent cricket pitch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preliminary Final Edition - Which club do you think will win the flag?

Back