2nds Preliminary Final Northern Bullants v Williamstown Seagulls

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll be fine. He will have to learn to want to kill for the ball in the air and on the ground, Dunstall style. Thought he wandered around following players a bit as they ran away from him yesterday, like he figured the marking contest and kicking was all he had to contribute. If he builds his body and his committment he will be a terrifying force just going by his solid frame. Right now - and totally unfair of me to judge at this early stage - he is barely going through the motions as a KP forward. Going to be exciting watching him take on the challenges Ratts and DT give him.

Not so sure about Levi. Doesn't appear to use his size to advantage in the marking contest, was easily spoiled a lot of the time. Needs to try and take the ball out the front.
His kicking seems to be a bit hit and miss, and he obviously needs a bit of fitness. Definitely a project player from mine, nowhere near ready at this stage.
Sounds like you're describing Tom Hawkins who is physically very similar to Levi.

Tom - 197cm, 101kg, 22 yrs 2mths, 60 games.
Levi - 198cm, 103kg, 20yrs 6mths.

Agree Levi needs time to develop but at 21 next year he should be played in the preseason games and get a game or two during the year. He could play the 3rd tall option and probably wouldn't do much worse than O'Hailpin or Hampson did in some games this year.

Sounds like you're describing Tom Hawkins who is physically very similar to Levi.

Tom - 197cm, 101kg, 22 yrs 2mths, 60 games.
Levi - 198cm, 103kg, 20yrs 6mths.

Agree Levi needs time to develop but at 21 next year he should be played in the preseason games and get a game or two during the year. He could play the 3rd tall option and probably wouldn't do much worse than O'Hailpin or Hampson did in some games this year.

He's definitely not a third tall. He'll spend the preseason working on endurance and most likely all of next season in the Ants as well. Huge project. But God help anyone who wants to stand in his way when he's on the lead.

The joy of 3 year Rookie contracts, I guess.

What's with the talking down of Hampson's ruckwork and work inside 50?

Harsh judgement of a 22 year old ruck who faced Sandilands, but was beaten by a star.

Kreuzer and Hampson led us to September last year.

We have seen genuine improvement in Hampson's forward work this season.

Not bad for a player who wouldn't have kicked many footballs in the pre-season.

Yet you can't say that Ellard won't make it and isn't as good as Browne because he can't kick over a jam tin.

I'm glad that we don't run the footy department.

Harsh judgement of a 22 year old ruck who faced Sandilands, but was beaten by a star.

Yet you can't say that Ellard won't make it and isn't as good as Browne because he can't kick over a jam tin.

and Robbi and Sauce this year
we are going around in circles now!

He lost a lot of weight over the previous summer. Has the trend continued or has he plateaued? Has he got a good burst of speed to make a lead/get off the mark? I recall they said he had a good vertical leap as well. I see you think his hands are not the strongest but he seems to have plenty promise.

Levi is tought and crashes packs which I love to see. We have a lot of payers who avoid physical contact and live loves it, it's a good sign.
Saad would be worth picking up as a rookie, he's very talented and skillful.
Dare has a bit to like about him.
Anderson refuses to stop improving as a player. Gutsy and tough, just lacks kicking skills and a bit of size and strength.
Jacobs is looking confident.
Mark Austin will have a massive job on Hale next weekend, might decide where he finished up as I recon he'll go onto our rookie list.
Touhy didn't have a great day but still did plenty of good things.

and Robbi and Sauce this year
we are going around in circles now!
Erm, Kreuzer did his knee.

Hampson has improved, but we're as impatient as we were with JR who isn't a tall. So I have no idea why you've referred to Warnock and Jacobs to defend Ellard. I'd hazard a guess that Dylan Buckley would be ahead of Ellard in 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erm, Kreuzer did his knee.

Hampson has improved, but we're as impatient as we were with JR who isn't a tall. So I have no idea why you've referred to Warnock and Jacobs to defend Ellard. I'd hazard a guess that Dylan Buckley would be ahead of Ellard in 2011.
It was just a statement of fact - Sauce and Robbie lead the ruck into Sept 2010
And yes Buckley may well be ahead of Ellard in 2011. If it makes CFC a better team nobody will complain at all.

With Kreuzer coming back into the side next year and Warnock solidifying his place, the argument has become about which one will be played forward. Essentially in my mind it comes down to one of the following combinations

Ruck: Kreuzer, Warnock
Back up: Hampson

Back up: Jacobs

Ruck: Warnock, Jacobs
Forward: Kreuzer

Ruck: Warnock, Hampson
Forward: Kreuzer

Forward: Hampson

Option no. 1, is the most likely, no. 2 will probably not happen (Jacobs wanting to be playing each week, rightly so too) no. 3 and no.4 are arguably a waste of Kreuzer's on-ball ability, no.5 is the second most likely if Hampson is developed as a forward.

Henceforth I believe Jacobs will be traded. However I don't want him to be

Ellard has earnt a spot on the list. If Buckley is that highly rated, we'll deal with 2011 when it comes. Win/win for the CFC I say guys.

i'm sorry but ellard's field kicking is nowhere near as bad as your making it out to be. I remember reading one of your posts the day before our final regarding his kicking, and I paid close attention to it during the match. Not once did I see ellard fluff a kick. One time in aprticular when he was coming out of the back 50 under pressure from a swan and put it right on the tit of waite, who had an opponent right on his back.

amidoingitright? using one example to back up a point, thus making my argument credible?

not to mention that his kicking for goal isn't too shabby.

fact is ellard has taken his chances at AFL level and browne hasn't. stop all the bias.

i'm sorry but ellard's field kicking is nowhere near as bad as your making it out to be. I remember reading one of your posts the day before our final regarding his kicking, and I paid close attention to it during the match. Not once did I see ellard fluff a kick. One time in aprticular when he was coming out of the back 50 under pressure from a swan and put it right on the tit of waite, who had an opponent right on his back.

amidoingitright? using one example to back up a point, thus making my argument credible?

not to mention that his kicking for goal isn't too shabby.

fact is ellard has taken his chances at AFL level and browne hasn't. stop all the bias.
no point putting up a credible argument champ. You just will not make any progress. But General is entitled to his opinion and I am sure he would be the first to acknowledge Ellard earnt his place this year due to circumstances initially and then by deeds. We all know his limitations and it would be nice if we had a team filled with 22 AA.

Consecutive grand finals is a good effort. Must be some talent & good coaching to get those results.

Kerr, Dare,Casboult,Touhy all look to have something to offer.

Saad & Arrowsmith could also have clubs thinking about them.

I hope we don't give Jacobs up without a really good deal.

I wonder if Teague has aspirations to coach in the AFL?

I thought his run last year was impressive, but this year he has really taken that team and moulded them into something of his likeness. He has them playing out of their skin, and I'm sure some of the development of our younger players is very much due to his influence.

Whatever happens next week, congratulations Teaguey!

The Ants have found some respectable VFL talent during the off-season which is why they're looking much better than they did last year.

The Roosters will be heavy favourites - they're a great VFL side (as we learnt last year), and we'll be fighting history to win the premiership. No-one has ever won from sixth.

However you cut it, that was a great win over the Seagulls, who have been every bit as dominant as the Roosters have. The Ants have done very well to get this far, but it would be fantastic for the likes of Dare, Casboult, Kerr and Touhy to get over the line and win a flag.

Any chance of 206 playing, or is he in cotton wool for the summer?

Any chance of 206 playing, or is he in cotton wool for the summer?

He had surgery last week so I thoroughly doubt it.

The ants have really missed Brent Bransgrove this year. He is amazing. Luckily for them they were able to use McLean for a few matches..

I can't believe were in the granny that is just brilliant. And to knock off Willy. I had goosebumps all afternoon on Saturday Ash and Levi tearing up the forward line. Man... jizz worthy.

That was by FAR Levi's best game. Really stepped up when the pressure was on. Got reaaaally high hopes for this kid!

AND ROHAN. holey moley. the shape of things to come.

Austin needs to step up. He was unbelievably bad last week.

Last year was really heartbreaking and hopefully the boys who were there use it and really take advantage of the underdog tag we'll get again this week. The spirit was just unbelievable. If all the boys step up, there is no reason we can't win.

*****keep an eye on the progress of my sig :p *****

For those at the game, how was Kerr's workrate?? Sounds like the penny may be dropping?? (Will make an AFL player if he works hard enough).

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Preliminary Final Northern Bullants v Williamstown Seagulls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back