Preview Preliminary Final - Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Fri 16/10 7.50pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised no discussion of JR8... I believe he is carrying an injury: wasn’t able to carry the forward line against Bris- (ok there are some mitigating reasons for that- but they don’t account for lack of leap and chase)... and against the saints the lack of leap, playing deep and not doing his usual runs up to the flank and wing- and the number of times he’s bent over double and unable to chase in a second effort reminded me of Dusty in 2018. I sat injuslry because I don’t think it’s form (he was brilliant against Geelong) or his ability has suddenly tapered with age overnight. Either way- he did appear hampered and I think this takes a real edge off our forward half entry and pressure- Which gives the opposition more opportunity to come off him and double team lynch. (Doesn’t help with Bolton flying for species over him either!)

90% ferals yes. But Port have travelled the most of any team this season. Unless you mean “recently” (last few weeks).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Key difference is that since round 6 when you travelled you got to go home and sleep in your own beds and train at your club for weeks before you had another state to go too

On average not as close as pacific pines hotel to pacific pines gym to metricon - bear in mind Port Adelaide itself is not the... doesn’t match the socioeconomic status that most AFL players enjoy.

Pacific Pines is similar to a backpackers, its completely different, like chalk and cheese to the luxury Port stay at (Royal Pines)
From the start the Tiges are there to do a job, the luxury is for the rest of the competition (especially Geelong),

Key difference is that since round 6 when you travelled you got to go home and sleep in your own beds and train at your club for weeks before you had another state to go too

Yes that is the difference, which has not been disputed.

I would dispute that it is an overall advantage, given players have family in QLD with them and everyone is restricted by AFL covid protocol in both QLD and SA, but realise I am probably in the minority in thinking that.

I would dispute that it is an overall advantage, given players have family in QLD with them and everyone is restricted by AFL covid protocol in both QLD and SA, but realise I am probably in the minority in thinking that.

Have you ever been in an hotel, stuck there with strict guidelines so you can't go outside, then stack your family and kids naturally getting frustrated as the weeks bleed into months while all your relatives at home are going through extreme lockdown?

Dude you can't even compare. It's not like there on holiday

I live in Adelaide. We’ve been living our normal lives for months now. Even at its worst, it wasn’t that bad here.

Must be boring on your own board to be posting here. Just imagine if you lose the unlosable prelim. Listening to Tom Jonas the club is shitting bricks

it’s all a bit of an unknown really.
It would have to be tested over many seasons and clubs and even then it wouldn’t be conclusive with all the other factors that come in to play.
I’m not worried about it. This season is what it is.
I’d rather be in the hub than be in Melbourne, that’s for sure.

Let's get back to the footy and ignore the Port nuffie.

It's a shame these two meet now as I think this would made for an absolutely cracking grand final. I expect the winning side (provided no injuries) to take it home in 2020.

Port worry me a lot, so will need to get off to a good start as we don't like playing catch up football (especially in shorter games).

Midfield is the biggest worry for me as they are a good contested footy side with some solid mids in Pepper Powell & Wines. We really need to put the pressure onto their delivery inside 50 to make it easier for Grimes, Astbury & co who will be up against a very solid forward line. If Charlie gets fast, clean inside 50's in a one on one battle then he is likely to win a few of those which provided he's got his kicking boots on will be easy goals for Port.

The pressure they brought to the game last time we met was very Richmond-like so it will come down to two things for me:

- Who can sustain the intensity for longer
- Who can capitalize (kick straight etc) when they have the momentum.

I expect a real arm wrestle, and taking my Richmond rose coloured glasses off think this will be a genuine 50/50 up for grabs, crash and bash final.

I've got the pizza order lined up, beers will be cold.

How good is footy!!!

GO TIGES

Must be boring on your own board to be posting here. Just imagine if you lose the unlosable prelim. Listening to Tom Jonas the club is shitting bricks

Two weeks between games and the board loses momentum for sure.

If you listened to Jonas interview in full instead of reading clickbait snippets you might have a different opinion but then again, as one eyed supporters we all see what we want to, I can’t blame anyone for that.

As usual the objective market has things about right, Port slight favourites as they are at home, but very much a flip. So I can’t imagine losing the unlosable, as that game does not exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see Macca’s video on Instagram for 100 days in the Hub. It’s so bloody hilarious and just what I needed to cheer me up this morning. I’m not sure how to share instagram video’s here but anyone who follows Macca, I suggest checking it out. :)

He posted it as a post and not as a story so it’s still there.

Anyone see Macca’s video on Instagram for 100 days in the Hub. It’s so bloody hilarious and just what I needed to cheer me up this morning. I’m not sure how to share instagram video’s here but anyone who follows Macca, I suggest checking it out. :)

He posted it as a post and not as a story so it’s still there.
You just click the 3 dots ... then select ‘copy link’ and paste it in here. Job done.

It's pretty annoying when opposition supporters pick up on some tiny, bullshit advantage your team has and turn it into the major reason for your success, huh.

Surprised no discussion of JR8... I believe he is carrying an injury: wasn’t able to carry the forward line against Bris- (ok there are some mitigating reasons for that- but they don’t account for lack of leap and chase)... and against the saints the lack of leap, playing deep and not doing his usual runs up to the flank and wing- and the number of times he’s bent over double and unable to chase in a second effort reminded me of Dusty in 2018. I sat injuslry because I don’t think it’s form (he was brilliant against Geelong) or his ability has suddenly tapered with age overnight. Either way- he did appear hampered and I think this takes a real edge off our forward half entry and pressure- Which gives the opposition more opportunity to come off him and double team lynch. (Doesn’t help with Bolton flying for species over him either!)

Riewoldt's output has been down, no doubt, but I thought his leap has been there. He nearly jumped over a pack in the fourth. Didn't notice the lack of chase. His registered 3 tackles, though.

IMO, his taking his turn to separate and leave Lynch as the target. He often ends up in the righthand pocket near the 50. Got a couple of shots from there against the Saints, IIRC, after standing all on his own.

Is Astbury right to play? Got a fair bandage on what I assume is his injured knee. Did he have an arthroscope or something?

Watched him closely last Friday night when running. His gait is affected by something that's for sure. Becomes more noticeable after a couple of strides and he loses power. I'd suspect he would be on painkillers just to get out there.

Watched him closely last Friday night when running. His gait is affected by something that's for sure. Becomes more noticeable after a couple of strides and he loses power. I'd suspect he would be on painkillers just to get out there.
Hasn't he always moved like that?

Have you ever been in an hotel, stuck there with strict guidelines so you can't go outside, then stack your family and kids naturally getting frustrated as the weeks bleed into months while all your relatives at home are going through extreme lockdown?

Dude you can't even compare. It's not like there on holiday

With you 100%. Have spent a large portion of my adult working life travelling interstate (as I am sure many others have). Even in a luxury hotel it becomes pretty ordinary after a week or so - helps a bit if you are single and just have mates with you perhaps (or a special someone), but it's actually hard work with family. You don't have so much of your stuff - even little things gets a bit harder the longer you are there.

Anyone comparing it to a holiday is just kidding themselves for the sake of an argument!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hasn't he always moved like that?

Yes, has had persistent knee issues, but looks as bad as it ever has - the power on one side just isn't there. I think he is a risk against Port, but we kind of need his chop out down back and in the Ruck.

They tend to play Wines as the pure centre mid, and the others fan out to the wing, like an outside receiver role.
Hit Wines hard.
The other three mids in order are obviously Rockliff, Boak and Gray.
They like to play Motlop out the back, the leading goalscorer in the past two games.
Dixon will try to "stretch" the defence by leading out and divert.
Need to be careful of Ebert too, scoring from outside 50.

Last edited:
Yes, has had persistent knee issues, but looks as bad as it ever has - the power on one side just isn't there. I think he is a risk against Port, but we kind of need his chop out down back and in the Ruck.
At least Dixon isn't the most agile opponent to be playing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back