Not open for further replies.
Got this from my mate who works at club:
AFL Prelim v Port Adelaide
Squad to travel Thursday: team from last week plus 22, 31, 39, 41
Thursday
8.30-9.30am: Rehab/Non playing X-training/strength at hotel
9.20am: Bus departs for Gold Coast Airport
2.45pm: Captain's run at Adelaide Oval

No change only possibility is Caddy for Pickett although Markov has been flying but they would have to drop a backman like Noah which is very unlikely.
I would be happy if it was Caddy for Pickett by most likely will be unchanged.

I would rather see Balta, Astbury and Broad rotating through the 2nd ruck role than have Chol included. I think we need to shore up our defense and with our resting ruckman also a tall defender, used to our defensive structure, it will go a long way in allowing us to take more incept marks and rebound better. Nank often drops back to help in the D50 or up the wings so there is no reason Balta and co. couldn't do the same when needed.

Also, with the shorter quarters, Nank does not need the full time support he would normally in a game of 20min quarters.

Chol could stretch them forward but an extra tall back would help us in defense. So, when it all comes down to it, it really depends on whether we truly believe we will win the center clearances or whether we will not. If we genuinely think we will, Chol up forward could be a way to stretch their shorter defense. If we are unsure though, I'd rather take in the extra tall defender and move him forward if required.

Also, with the shorter quarters, Nank does not need the full time support he would normally in a game of 20min quarters.

Its no coincidence the only three tigers this year that average under 70% TOG are Nank 68.5%, Soldo
67.5% and Chol 64.4% All rucks.

Dimma said today Nanks more dynamic when fresh.

Soldo/Chol in 2019, with Soldo 66%, Chol 60% with Nank just hitting 70.2%

2018 and it was the Nank/Grigg show and both were 82%

2017 Nank 83% Soldo 60.7%

Nank was 77% last week and his highest for the year agains the Lions in the QF at 91%.
The 91% way, way to much, in a Prelim he needs support.

Last edited:

Oppo nuffies already started on the Cotchin to kick against the wind thing again. Have we not learnt that 10 goal finals thumpings have very little to do with the wind direction? Lol

Still the craziest decision ever to come home with the wind against the best running team of the year who were known for running over teams in the last quarter. Can’t blame anyone but Cotchin for the contested ball and clearance numbers in the first quarter. Without the wind it wouldn’t have happened lol yawn

I just can’t see Chol standing up in finals pressure and intensity. Hope I’m wrong but he simply doesn’t strike me as that type of player. When he wasn’t squibbin it up and providing weak aerial contests in his last couple of outings he wasn’t even taking those relatively simple marks either.

Not against Chol this week as 3rd tall. Port are very tall up forward and very small down back.
As long as he doesn't get in the way of Jack & Lynch then it's fine. If Port let him roam on his own then the boys can kick it to him. He's a great shot on goal and that must be a huge contributing factor for him potentially being selected. If he can just bring out his mongrel (however much is got) then he would keep his spot.

In a game like this...playing Chol absolutely scares me. Has shown nothing of recent times and can't see him all of a sudden matching it with the competition.
Does Chol really make that much difference in the ruck?
Just watched Dimma's press conference and there's nothing in there that suggests Chol will be picked. He just answered a question about Chol and Astbury. I reckon there's a fair chance that Balta will be the second ruck when Ports 2nd ruck is in the middle.

One thing he did mention was Broads name so I can't see broad getting dropped. Don't know who else would get dropped if Chol came in

David King frothing at the mouth over Port beating us.

Let’s use this negative energy from the media to drive us.

Richmond versus the World like 1974 when everyone hated us.

Take no prisoners.

So I’ve been doing a little research and I’ve come to the conclusion that weather will play a massive part. The trend I noticed is big forwards (whether their ‘shit’ or not) can feast against them if their teammates get them the ball (not to say smalls cant also feast). Here is a list of the most likely tall defenders we will face:

Jonas 188cm 92kg
Burton 191cm 90kg
McKenzie 191cm 88kg
Lienert 195cm 87kg (unlikely he plays)
Pasini 193cm 82kg (also unlikely)
Then a couple of guys in the 180’s

Our potential forward line

Riewoldt 193cm 92kg
Lynch 199cm 99kg
Chol 200cm 91kg second ruck
Dusty is also 187cm

If McKenzie goes to Lynch, Lynch will monster him. Need to play it smart and isolate our mismatches.

Now their likely forward line

Dixon 200cm 107kg
Ladhams 202cm 101kg second ruck
Marshall 198cm 90kg
Georgiades 191cm 78kg
Westoff 199cm 94kg (unlikely)

Our backline

Grimes 193cm 90kg
Astbury 195cm 96kg
Balta 194cm 100kg
Broad 192cm 89kg
Miller 195cm 95kg (unlikely)
Vlastuin 187cm 88kg

They will have height and weight on our guys, need to try and support each other which we know they can. Astbury vs Dixon with our guys coming in third up to support him. Ditto whoever Balta takes Ladhams/Marshall.

The rucks

Nank 199cm 102kg
Lycett 203cm 102kg

If we can break even or better in the middle I think it will come down to which teams defence comes out on top, will win the game. Very interesting match now we are almost full strength (Soldo 😭). Gotta take our opportunities in front of goal (like every game lol).

All heights and weights taken from each clubs sites. Yes I did do that 🤦‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port game thread has 865 comments.
This is Richmond game thread comment #337.

Port supporters are heavily invested in this one. If it the game doesn't go their way this site could get ugly.

Agree, they are super sensitive, its like they are forcing themselves to believe the hype in the media about them. They ignore, if Hawkins kicked straight they lose. They ignore the outs we had as there in's like Rozze and Motlop are superior to there side then Cotchin, Prestia and the others lol. They also believe being locked up in a hotel for 100 days means nothing, actually its an advantage to us due to being at a 5 star resort :drunk:.

At the start of the week, I seriously could not care if we won or loss. I always had a soft spot for them. Now though, with there utter disgusting and hostile shit directed at our club, its players and even pathetically the players wives, I want us to come out and bury them by 8 goals in the first quarter. That will allow me to slowly stroke myself as I watch them implode in the last 3 quarters while reading the port board with one hand.

Make it happen tigers

So I’ve been doing a little research and I’ve come to the conclusion that weather will play a massive part. The trend I noticed is big forwards (whether their ‘sh*t’ or not) can feast against them if their teammates get them the ball (not to say smalls cant also feast). Here is a list of the most likely tall defenders we will face:

Jonas 188cm 92kg
Burton 191cm 90kg
McKenzie 191cm 88kg

Riewoldt 193cm 92kg
Lynch 199cm 99kg
Dusty is also 187cm

If McKenzie goes to Lynch, Lynch will monster him. Need to play it smart and isolate our mismatches.

Dixon 200cm 107kg
Marshall 198cm 90kg
Georgiades 191cm 78kg

Our backline

Grimes 193cm 90kg
Astbury 195cm 96kg
Balta 194cm 100kg
Broad 192cm 89kg
Vlastuin 187cm 88kg

They will have height and weight on our guys, need to try and support each other which we know they can. Astbury vs Dixon with our guys coming in third up to support him. Ditto whoever Balta takes Ladhams/Marshall.

The rucks

Nank 199cm 102kg
Lycett 203cm 102kg

If we can break even or better in the middle I think it will come down to which teams defence comes out on top, will win the game. Very interesting match now we are almost full strength (Soldo 😭). Gotta take our opportunities in front of goal (like every game lol).

Balta now is taller the Astbury I think unless my eyes are playing tricks lol

Balta now is taller the Astbury I think unless my eyes are playing tricks lol
Same. I was surprised by some of the heights/weights listed on our and their official afl sanctioned sites lol.

So I’ve been doing a little research and I’ve come to the conclusion that weather will play a massive part. The trend I noticed is big forwards (whether their ‘sh*t’ or not) can feast against them if their teammates get them the ball (not to say smalls cant also feast). Here is a list of the most likely tall defenders we will face:

Jonas 188cm 92kg
Burton 191cm 90kg
McKenzie 191cm 88kg

Riewoldt 193cm 92kg
Lynch 199cm 99kg
Dusty is also 187cm

Dixon 200cm 107kg
Marshall 198cm 90kg
Georgiades 191cm 78kg

Our backline

Grimes 193cm 90kg
Astbury 195cm 96kg
Balta 194cm 100kg
Broad 192cm 89kg
Vlastuin 187cm 88kg

The rucks

Nank 199cm 102kg
Lycett 203cm 102kg

Got to isolate Lynch one on one in the square give him space the matchup we can expose Hawkins had 5 shots on goal against McKenzie .Make Jonas accountable so he has to make the decision intercept or man up.Jack I think can get under radar this game and have a impact.Then it's up to our smalls to pickup the crumbs.Bolton starts forward for me gives us class takes a good defender.Maybe we could see Nank resting up there to.

I will back our backline against there forwards.Force them wide and try to let them have groundball and we're off.Motlop is another one we can expose he doesn't like defence stuff so maybe Vlaustin to run off him.Got to watch Amon on the outside his dangerous.

Alot of hype about there ruck , but as mentioned before Stanley won the hit outs last game so there no guns. Nank on last week's form can take them with a chop out.Nank has the advantage around the ground over both.

I just think there win over cats was over hyped cats we're truly in the game bad kicking cost them and not taken advantage of there dominance at times.

All year I have been waiting for that “footy feeling” but still nothing, it’s so bloody weird.
Don’t get me wrong I’m still watching, and wanting to win and everything but there’s just no stress or joy either way.
Thought maybe finals would kick me up a gear but nothing!
I actually don’t mind it in some ways but I’d love to have that that sick feeling in the guts back.
If you're in Melbourne it's because you have been locked up like a prisoner for 7 months and are more stressed out about when you'll be able to go outside without worrying if cops will stomp your head.

Take out covid and shit government and you'd be into it like before

Oppo nuffies already started on the Cotchin to kick against the wind thing again. Have we not learnt that 10 goal finals thumpings have very little to do with the wind direction? Lol

Still the craziest decision ever to come home with the wind against the best running team of the year who were known for running over teams in the last quarter. Can’t blame anyone but Cotchin for the contested ball and clearance numbers in the first quarter. Without the wind it wouldn’t have happened lol yawn
Firstly doubtful how strong the wing really was that day, they kicked 6 goals to 2 into it in the second quarter.
Secondly, we kicked into the wind first quarter last Friday night. Had the game on a plate by quarter time.

If it’s wet, no way we pick another tall in Chol. Last year we played 1 game in three weeks and were incredibly rusty first half. If port start slow we need to take the opportunity to put the game away. Go tigers! Pumped for this one!!!

Tom brown and rest of the afl opportunity studying this as we speak looking for possible covid hub breaches.
Disgraceful bullying culture on display.
Richmond are imploding from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back