Review Preliminary Final vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck guys.

You had a superb season, you should be really proud of how much you improved.

It was a terrific game last night, you were just on the wrong end of it at the end and few bad calls away. You guys can hold your heads high though. Can't really say the same for Richmond - not very humble at all, wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the comp was rooting for you guys. It's a shame we have to endure their arrogance for another week.

Hats off to Brad Ebert too on a fantastic career and super performance tonight. When he went down I was worried for him that he would miss a GF with concussion, but then to see Richmond win and he retire was quite sad actually.

Best of luck next year. I noticed a lot of in-fighting on your board post game which is understandable given the frustration but hold your heads high guys - you have been brilliant in a very challenging year. Well done!
True, anyone but arrogant and bloody Hardwick and Tigers, my bro in law loves them, hes unbearable last few yrs. Go Lions now.!

Consistent theme in all our losses this year is the centre square clearances. Lose that and our forward half lock cant be put into effect. Maybe Crouches mid value to us has just increased.

Done us a favour with his recent indiscretion. Price lower, value unchanged :/

We could adjust the midfield mix, right now we rely on bulls to be well up on clearance and to generate repeat I50, or we lose, because just often enough they’re that tiniest bit too slow to switch to defend. A deliberate risk we choose to take.

Trying to take one part of our game from good to perfect though... last night showed again teams that win finals regularly don’t rely on everything going “perfectly” right... I just think a higher priority for us is to work on the serial inconsistencies in Dixon’s and Marshall’s outputs, and on the quality of inputs to them rather than the bloody quantity. A better return on the high number of I50 we already get.

It feels like we’re now, finally, at a second generation working version of Ken’s 2013-2014 type chaos ball plan but still not nailing the scoreboard with it.

Duursma and Rozee more time in the midfield will be a more productive long term *structural* change but not against slotting Brouch straight in for a few years.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

Hats off to Richmond. They deserved the win. Seasoned team for big finals. Our midfield was beaten tonight. Marshall and Burton hurt us tonight given injuries and track record. Marshall deserves patience, but mine running out. Our young talent shined. Our experience failed us. Again. Ebert the exception. Thought that courageous effort would spark us....but no. Our consistent bombing into forward line was infuriating but Tigers structured perfectly. Dixon, game to forget, was rag dolled tonight. Ladhams....meh, step up Hayes.

All in all proud of boys. We did well 2020. Not like some of the opposition flogs trolling this board.

Goodbye 2020

Definitely do NOT want a repeat of 2014/15, MUST make a GF next year especially if we have another good run with injuries. Tonight really hurt
Injuries (or lack of them) is a very big key to success. We got lucky with them this year, but we can't expect that to continue next year. It's an opportunity lost.

Spent the post game wondering why we lost but at the end of night they were to polished when it mattered, and won the midfield battle which in the end decided the game. A lot of what ifs but they deserved it and we didn't, end of story for me.

Can't blame the umpires, or anything else when the moment came they stood up and we didn't.

I don't want to hear the usual we'll be back next year crap cause it took 6 years and one final to get back to tonight.

Well that hurts and hurts big time but for the older guys it will burn as it may have been thier last chance.
Our younger players who will be taking this club through this decade rozee,butters,dursma, houston byrne-jones, Ladhams, georgiades etc. These guys will be the leaders of the club like ebo,boak, grey,rocky and westy are now.
They need to soak it in how gutted these older players are and how hollow they will feel when they retire without a flag and have a determination for it not to happen to them. So when they get to a prelim again the result will be different.
As for Richmond they basically did what hawthorn used to do get it done in a prelim by a whisker and I expect them to belt whoever they play next week
So history will not be unkind to port 2020 because we lost to Richmond, but the hurt for port players and fans will last until we get another chance.
I think ken coached well this year and I won't bag the guy today, he has 4-4 record in finals 3 of those losses by less than a kick.
But unless he can go the next step next year or 2 he may end up with the same feeling of the older players and be watching from the stands as someone else in charge leads us to our second flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s probably no words for how you’re feeling and nothing I can really say to make it better, but I want to make a point that you can incredibly proud of your club for year. When Ken said that the goal was to win the premiership I laughed it was off. Just keep your eyes on R1 and go from there. But he was absolutely right to say it. Your lot gave absolutely everything last night and would have been deserving winners, if you play that game 100 times we win it 50 times each. There is absolutely no shame in going down like that.
Your club set the standard in the hub at the start of the season, despite (I felt anyway) only having to go there due to the actions of some Crows players and staff. You embraced it for what it was and came away with fantastic results. I have no doubt my club took some inspiration from that. The way you play is fantastic. It’s not a copy but it reminds me of how we play and it is everything you could possibly ask for. It’s unrelenting.

Congratulations on a fantastic season, albeit with a bitter finish. You will be a force in years to come.

(I hope we still have some brownie points for 2017)

Consistent theme in all our losses this year is the centre square clearances. Lose that and our forward half lock cant be put into effect. Maybe Crouches mid value to us has just increased.
We need a Plan B, can't put all the eggs in one basket.
This loss is like so many over the last 6 years. A real opportunity blown.

His game will be remembered for the dropped mark which is fair but Duurs was amazing in my eyes. That was an incredible game by a second year player.

The composure of these guys compared to the hack kicks some of our senior guys were doing was incredible.

Butters early on was great, made one little mistake waiting too long before passing it inside 50 and seemed to lose a bit of confidence.

Rozee was back to something like his 2019 form. If he can get his body right we have a lot to look forward to.

Duursma's running was epic. One minute at fullback then the next minute at full forward. Clutch goal too. Unfortunate dropped mark but it happens.

I have a feeling giorgiades is going to overtake Marshall next year

Let's start with Hartletts comments about lynch maybe?

Didn't see a problem with them. Lynch has proven to be a dirty flog and is pretty much hated by everyone except Richmond fans. It's not an unrealistic suggestion that people wanted his season over last night.

Go celebrate being in another grand final instead of trolling here

The composure of these guys compared to the hack kicks some of our senior guys were doing was incredible.

Butters early on was great, made one little mistake waiting too long before passing it inside 50 and seemed to lose a bit of confidence.

Rozee was back to something like his 2019 form. If he can get his body right we have a lot to look forward to.

Duursma's running was epic. One minute at fullback then the next minute at full forward. Clutch goal too. Unfortunate dropped mark but it happens.

I have a feeling giorgiades is going to overtake Marshall next year

apart from getting in Lynch’s face then dropping a sitter and losing the game. Port are going to contend for sometime but don’t become Essendon and over celebrate!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back