Review Preliminary Final vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Flat . Dejected . Spent
No sleep. Kept going over the 'what ifs' from that game. DON'T YOU JUST HATE THOSE F*****G WHAT IFS?
I am still incredibly proud of our boys and the club during this trying season. We tried . We just lacked the polish at crucial times in this game.
Anyway I am going to choose to forget the 'what ifs' and remember that last magnificent courageous effort from Ebo. We really missed his influence in those dying minutes. We are REALLY going to miss his courage going forward. He gave it all. Thanks mate for representing this magnificent football club with absolute honour.
That's it folks. Couldn't give a stuff who wins from here on. Bring on 2021

Watched the replay last night. The umpiring was alright.

We just didnt lift a gear when Richmond did. Bad habits in the last quarter.

Im really proud of our club and how well they adapted to this season. I strangely feel ok today. I dunno if watching the replay helped with that, but im not as depressed as i was after 14.

I do genuinely think we’ll have another crack next year. Will be different to 15.

I could tell early in the last we didn’t have it in us to win, momentum or energy just wasn’t there.

Watched the replay last night. The umpiring was alright.

We just didnt lift a gear when Richmond did. Bad habits in the last quarter.

Im really proud of our club and how well they adapted to this season. I strangely feel ok today. I dunno if watching the replay helped with that, but im not as depressed as i was after 14.

I do genuinely think we’ll have another crack next year. Will be different to 15.
The second half Richmond were just that bit more composed with ball in hand. Unfortunately I don't feel ok today but time heals all wounds.

From a Lions supporter, if we beat Geelong tomorrow, we'll do our very best to flog the sh*t out of Richmond and shut up their feral supporters.

Will flatten Lynch out too, for extra measure!

The Broncos are stuffed and a Lions Premiership, if you get there, will certainly push the 'Aussie Rules rules' cause in Queensland. Good luck.

I'm not that proud of the club, I'm pissed off.. Top all year, home prelim, lost a close final which is all we do under the current mob. It's a fail, it's a huge fail. This oh I'm proud after losing the same way in the same fashion and blowing another golden opportunity isn't anything to be proud of. It's a completely ****ed glenelg / st kilda mentality.

I was sitting in the rain almost all night.

It was not a night for talls, for either side.
I hear you and I was sitting out there too.
I probably didn’t explain myself that well.
When I looked at the direct opponents of those players I listed I thought they won those contests and took more marks than out guys.
When I looked down the other end I thought the tall forwards for Richmond whilst they didn’t necessarily take marks and beat their direct opponents they didn’t necessarily lose that contest. I thought they broke even:

I'm not that proud of the club, I'm pissed off.. Top all year, home prelim, lost a close final which is all we do under the current mob. It's a fail, it's a huge fail. This oh I'm proud after losing the same way in the same fashion and blowing another golden opportunity isn't anything to be proud of. It's a completely f’ed glenelg / st kilda mentality.
Thought you guys did great. Only lost by a goal. Disappointed for you and all of us who now have to put up with tiggers in a GF.

Every game we struggled in this year we were beaten in the centre of the park. Our failure to win the ball out of the middle & take advantage of 6 vs 6 match up was our undoing.

The Tigers defensive unit are very hard to break when they are given time to organise & structure up.

Thought you guys did great. Only lost by a goal. Disappointed for you and all of us who now have to put up with tiggers in a GF.
While I appreciate the sentiments, that's the difference between port and Carlton supporters.. We should be tearing the place down demanding change..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well played guys was a nail biter all game and you guys have had a fantastic season

Port play a very similar brand to Richmond and also have an amazing crop of young guns coming up that will be sustainable in the long term

Looking forward to our clash next season

While I appreciate the sentiments, that's the difference between port and Carlton supporters.. We should be tearing the place down demanding change..
One goal! Boak kicks straight...a bit tough on your team? Thought you were awesome all season.

It isn’t good enough.
This was an unbelievably good opportunity to add a second flag after such a long drought.
To not play our best brand of footy and resort to old weaknesses irrespective of the conditions hurts a lot.

It honestly could be a very long time before we have a chance that good again. Look at Freo, GWS, the Saints through the last 10y.

Shattered.

What's particularly galling is that we've won 4 minor premierships in the past 19 years and converted them to a total of 1 grand final appearance.

Our club's inability to perform when it matters most has cost us untold respect and achievement in this league.

I'm not that proud of the club, I'm pissed off.. Top all year, home prelim, lost a close final which is all we do under the current mob. It's a fail, it's a huge fail. This oh I'm proud after losing the same way in the same fashion and blowing another golden opportunity isn't anything to be proud of. It's a completely f’ed glenelg / st kilda mentality.
This. Proud, nope. Proud of throwing away probably the best shot at winning a flag we will have for a long time? Nope. Angry at them choking it away. Yes. This team mirrors the coach. Not quite good enough when it counts.

I don't think being proud of the boys efforts and considering losing a home prelim as a failure are mutually exclusive.

You can be proud of failure. Use it as a drive to get better. The worse failure would be to lose our shit now when we have at least one more season out of this list.

Every game we struggled in this year we were beaten in the centre of the park. Our failure to win the ball out of the middle & take advantage of 6 vs 6 match up was our undoing.

The Tigers defensive unit are very hard to break when they are given time to organise & structure up.

Which is why bringing in Crouch should be a priority, as well as finding someone to get Drew on the park

To paraphrase Clarkson we weren’t the better team for long enough. They missed some chances too but created more opportunities. We kicked some pressure goals (Lycett, Duursma, Dixon) but it wasn’t enough. We just weren’t good enough. To win that game we had to win the clearances in the second half and that didn’t happen because the guys in there at the pointy end probably aren’t good enough.

This one hurts no matter how you try to spin it. The hurt it always going to be there. Reality is that there are only two scenarios in which your season ends as a winner, and one of those is when you win the final round of the home and away season but miss the finals anyway. And yet, come round 1 next year, optimism will no doubt ensue and the majority of people who have been irrationally (though understandably) melting on here over the last 10 hours will be front and centre for it.

If there's one thing that I was happy about this season, it was our consistency. That is, you knew what you were gonna get from us each and every week. Effort was always there, and i saw us as the best team in the comp for periods of the year.

All year we consistently won clearances and centre clearances. This allowed us to get the ball into our forward 50 quicker where we can have a bit more open space, and then set up our defensive wall to get repeat entries. I have also been impressed by the evolution throughout the season in terms of not solely relying on Dixon to be dominant for us to win games.

Where we faltered this year was our inability to move the ball consistently from defensive 50 to forward 50 to generate scoring opportunities. Simply put, if you aren't winning clearances, you need to be able to get a turnover a move the ball in transition. Richmond are clearly the masters of it, and i feel like we are a way off in that space. I do have little doubt that it will be a focus of the summer though. I am still perplexed as to how we got dominated in the clearance battle by a team who was #17 for clearances over the season. In many ways I have to credit our defensive structures because had we seen such a smashing in clearances earlier in the season this game wouldn't have even been a contest.

I don't buy into the idea that we are falling off a cliff, though it is obvious we need to bring in some more talent, though I'm not going to suggest who right now given the heightened emotions going on.

After our run in 2014 I expected nothing short of a flag in 2015. That was the expectation, not just of me but of the club. I believe a large portion of our success in 2013 and then a further leap in 2014 was fitness based. At the time, AFL clubs did not have beefy high performance departments and the analytics of the game were no where near as in depth as they are now. It was a market inefficiency that our club tapped into, and we flogged our players to ensure that when teams were knackered at 3/4 time, we were just getting started. Problem was that come 2015, we were not only cooked, but other teams had identified the inefficiency - remember that the off season going into 2015 was "how does everyone stop Port Adelaide?" Despite Hawthorn having just gone back to back.

This time our success (for lack of a better word) in 2020 was not built off such a market inefficiency. It was gameplan and execution based, and we firmly deserved our top spot heading into the finals. In that respect, it is much easier to project us being able to translate that going into next season. However, if we are unable to come up with a counter punch transition attack from D50 to F50, we once again will be forced to rely on winning the clearance battle decisively 100% of the time. And that would no doubt be a recipe to feel the exact same way we do right now in a little under 12 months time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back