Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Rooster 24

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mark Passador new coach at Scotch. Without knowing much about his potential as a coach he is a highly respected player in the VAFA. Still a very handy player who kicked plenty of goals in recent seasons. Will leave a big hole in the cards forward line.

Any other ‘A’ grade news? Surprised to see Uni Blacks premiership coach depart.

http://www.vafa.com.au/index.php?id...]=1576&cHash=2db0d8a7489a2e08b9c1fc7b6694289e

Big on-field loss if he has taken the role as non-playing coach.

Agree. Still a real handful as a player and a tough match up. Strong as an ox, good hands and a very reliable kick for goal. I’m led to believe he will be a non-playing coach.

Um! Guy Martyn. Coach of Hampton Rovers. Kicked 6 in the Grand Final.;)
Must have special dispensation.

Watts from Uni Blues had to stop coaching when he came back to play in 2013.

Imagine paying Fev $50,000 to coach OX, while having him set next to Chopper in the forward line.

Don't think it would work.

Must have special dispensation.

Watts from Uni Blues had to stop coaching when he came back to play in 2013.

Imagine paying Fev $50,000 to coach OX, while having him set next to Chopper in the forward line.

Don't think it would work.

Rules apply to remuneration, Maxie. Doubt there are any hard and fast rules relating to coaches playing providing all is hunky-dory remuneration wise.

Guy has been coaching for a couple of years and played a number of games this year. Clark also coached and played at Beaumaris after Lawrence departed. Think Loewe did a little while back when he was co-coaching at Haileybury too.

Be very surprised if Passador doesn't pull on the boots at some stage. Particularly if things go pear shaped during the year.

Rules apply to remuneration, Maxie. Doubt there are any hard and fast rules relating to coaches playing providing all is hunky-dory remuneration wise.

Guy has been coaching for a couple of years and played a number of games this year. Clark also coached and played at Beaumaris after Lawrence departed. Think Loewe did a little while back when he was co-coaching at Haileybury too.

Be very surprised if Passador doesn't pull on the boots at some stage. Particularly if things go pear shaped during the year.

Its not that easy to just "pull the boots on". Is he going to do a full pre season as any other player would be expected to do. Remember, he is another year older. Coaching is a tough enough "gig" in A grade. Throw in playing, where people expect you to also kick 3 to 4 goals every match, makes it doubly tough.

Do they plan on having 2 coaches as last year?

Its not that easy to just "pull the boots on". Is he going to do a full pre season as any other player would be expected to do. Remember, he is another year older. Coaching is a tough enough "gig" in A grade. Throw in playing, where people expect you to also kick 3 to 4 goals every match, makes it doubly tough.

While it does happen and Guy Martyn is a good example my understanding is that playing coaches in the ammos are only entitled to very modest remuneration, certainly when compared to non playing coaches. Story goes that Fergus Watts had to pay back what he earnt as coach in the first half of the season before being allowed to return to the playing field.

Having said that and despite his age Passador is still in pretty good nick. Vastly experienced with a good footy brain and being pretty much a stay at home FF I’m sure he could make the transition from coach to player pretty quickly if absolutely required.

Not entirley sure but the way I read it is that Passador is a stand alone coach.

While it does happen and Guy Martyn is a good example my understanding is that playing coaches in the ammos are only entitled to very modest remuneration, certainly when compared to non playing coaches. Story goes that Fergus Watts had to pay back what he earnt as coach in the first half of the season before being allowed to return to the playing field.

Having said that and despite his age Passador is still in pretty good nick. Vastly experienced with a good footy brain and being pretty much a stay at home FF I’m sure he could make the transition from coach to player pretty quickly if absolutely required.

Not entirley sure but the way I read it is that Passador is a stand alone coach.

FWIW - you are right, can be paid as a playing coach - a modest amount around $1.5k to cover expenses.
Be interesting to see if the other 2 bob up anywhere, cannot see many opportunities in the top 2 grades.

Don't disagree that in the best of all possible worlds it is preferable to commit for the whole year and in so doing do all the preparatory work.

My guess is that Pass isn't planning on playing. However, if things turn pear shaped and he could help turn the clubs fortunes around my feeling is he would go around again. From what I know of him he keeps himself in good shape. He's not a midfielder so wouldn't require that level of fitness. And because he is a class player with all the attributes that go with that he is likely to make an immediate impact if he chooses to pull-em-on again. Given, as I mentioned, that he falls within the VAFA guidelines fee wise

Back to Maxie's claim that there is a rule precluding playing coaches which is where I came in. Don't believe there is such a rule providing it's not outside the remuneration guidelines.

Also, not sure it would only apply to the top three grades as Maxie put. Surely, if it were ever to be so, it would be across the board.

The VAFA has announced that the VAFA Premier Grand Final is on Sunday-yes, read that again, Sunday-20th September 2015. Now that we know when it will be on, the question is:where will it be held at? Hopefully not at Sportscover Arena.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least the VAFA has listened and now are going back to its traditional Sunday timeslot-which it should have done in the first place.

A final (I hope) word on playing coaches...

The only restrictions are in regards to remuneration. If they are playing, then the total amount that they can be paid is very small, just for expenses (1-2k i believe). So if Passador at any stage wants to "throw on the boots", then he would have to disclose to the Ammo's what he has already been paid, and then pay it all back to the club before the Ammos then decide if he were to be allowed to actually play or not (it wasn't a sure thing that Fergus was going to be allowed to play in 2013 when he requested to).

I can't imagine that in an era of increasing demands on coaching, that a playing coach is the way to go these days unless as has been previously mentioned, it is a shared role. It's the only way I could see it possibly working.

It's tough, but understandable that money is a draw card for some good players. Sure it's no G Ablett, T Boyd type coin, but its pretty good.
Guessing for those type of guys to go it ain't just a couple of hundy a game.

It's tough, but understandable that money is a draw card for some good players. Sure it's no G Ablett, T Boyd type coin, but its pretty good.
Guessing for those type of guys to go it ain't just a couple of hundy a game.

On their upside, they are getting another Ball.

Xavs have lost Waller to Balwyn, Ambrose to Norwood and Goss to another EFL club. Unfortunate that

All quality players but I am absolutely sure they will have a host of suitable replacements already lined up. Xavs reporting the return of Marcus Carroll who is a very good player. Thought Goss was having a crack at VFL next year. Which EFL club is he heading to?

All quality players but I am absolutely sure they will have a host of suitable replacements already lined up. Xavs reporting the return of Marcus Carroll who is a very good player. Thought Goss was having a crack at VFL next year. Which EFL club is he heading to?

I have no doubt Xavs have lost that "aura" they once had....Outside money is hotting up for their better players and quality kids from the school teams have dried up to some extent

On their upside, they are getting another Ball.
Is Luke confirmed as a starter? I know the brothers wanted to play together but the last I heard Luke had decided to hang 'em up permanently.

The 3 player losses are significant. Can't blame them as the money being offered around the traps is very attractive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier A - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back