B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Attention C grade, C/O VAFA headquarters it is.

From favourites to join the Snowdogs last year in being promoted, now headed to C on the final day of the season - amazing what can happen in the space of 12 months.
Did you get to the Bell yesterday God Yeah? OGs look like our bogey side. Think that’s 3 in row to the hoops. Bizarre game. OGs got it out to beyond 70 points in the 2nd Q before a rally of sorts from the home side before half time. In the 3rd the lead again extended to around 12 goals but DLS dominated the next 30-40 minutes and pulled to back to around 3 goals. Too little too late and continues a pattern of being ice cold and red hot all within the same game. Having stitched up 2nd place they did rest a couple who had some niggles but still put a good team out on the park. OGs too good and have impressed both times I have seen them this year.

Massive fall from grace for Beaumaris. Looked destined for A grade last years and entered 2024 as one of the pre-season fancies.

Did you get to the Bell yesterday God Yeah? OGs look like our bogey side. Think that’s 3 in row to the hoops. Bizarre game. OGs got it out to beyond 70 points in the 2nd Q before a rally of sorts from the home side before half time. In the 3rd the lead again extended to around 12 goals but DLS dominated the next 30-40 minutes and pulled to back to around 3 goals. Too little too late and continues a pattern of being ice cold and red hot all within the same game. Having stitched up 2nd place they did rest a couple who had some niggles but still put a good team out on the park. OGs too good and have impressed both times I have seen them this year.

Massive fall from grace for Beaumaris. Looked destined for A grade last years and entered 2024 as one of the pre-season fancies.

Couldn't make it down on Saturday, I had prior engagements at the amateur turf club up the road. This I spoke to did point out that a number of players were rested (probably explains the 2's result as well).

Personally I'm not resting anyone, but full credit to OG's. They needed a win and now a finals campaign awaits.

Hopefully all this wind dies down and we get some football friendly conditions so all teams can showcase their potential.

Which big-brained idiot down at VAFA HQ thought it was a good idea to have a Women’s reserves SF scheduled between the Men's snrs & reserves SFs?

Long day for the DLS crowd.
Happened in Prem C last year. Very long day.

Also why is Prem C at Elsternwick and Prem B at TBO. OI are happy, haven’t played at for over 10 years (Excluding Women and Under 19’s)

It’s alway been the other way round.

Happened in Prem C last year. Very long day.

Also why is Prem C at Elsternwick and Prem B at TBO. OI are happy, haven’t played at for over 10 years (Excluding Women and Under 19’s)

It’s alway been the other way round.
Couldn't give Rovers an advantage as it was they're home ground this year

Last Sunday 9.20am ladies D2 grand final at Elsternwick Park. No respect for women’s footy. It was a GF. Made it hard to get supporters to turn up at that time.
A lot of clubs had to play at 9 20 last week .
The girls certainly celebrated well and looked to be behaving well at MM

Feel very sorry for the young Boundary Umpire from Saturday’s game.

Bill Burr will never need to buy a tatts ticket, coz he will never win.

Edit. Deleted actual post

Max “Had to stop myself” Leader

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone shed some light on the haileybury player cleared for head butting at the tribunal. Surely you don’t get off head butting unless a frivolous report.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Premier B Report Card (Non Finalists).

The marks may be hard, most teams gave themselves the grade they received. Anything I missed? Any hidden gem that could stand out in 25? Love to hear your thoughts.

Old Ivanhoe - B+
A very good season after being promoted, fell away towards the back half of the season but that can be expected when coming up a grade. Good wins against some of the top 4 has them in good stead for season 2025. Injuries played a small part in their form dropping off but they have uncovered a few coming through the junior ranks who look cherry ripe for senior football. With Pine Lodge being redeveloped and a senior side playing great footy finals will be in the clubs plans going forward.

Old Camberwell - B+
Not often both promoted sides fare so well, I congratulated OC on a fine season last week in my preview. Some really encouraging football that showed they are more than capable of playing finals in 2025. Expectations would have been to merely stay up and have too have crack in 25', the style of football the club played caught some seasoned teams napping and they will be fast tracking expectations to experience finals footy.

Williamstown - D
Williamstown would be disappointed with their season, a slow start put them behind the 8-ball immediately and extinguished any chance of finals football. A brilliant effort to rebound late and see them avoid the drop to C. For a side that would have projected themselves to compete for a finals tilt they would be understandably upset with 5.5 wins. Re-group in 2025 and those plans for a higher finish will be a dust off.

Caulfield - F
You don't lose 12 on the bounce and expect to get anything other than a fail. 2024 was a failure of a season and took an effort Houdini would have been proud of just to stay in B. A new coach will arrive at the racecourse over the pre-season and hopefully they find a few in the unders to play senior football. Another re-building year presents itself, consistency of performance will be the benchmark for the Fields' in 2025.

Beaumaris - F
Round 2 Beaumaris 16.5 101 d Old Haileybury 8.10 58 - That is the only positive from season 2024. Exiting the B finals last year they were installed as premiership favs in pre-season. The club didn't fire a shot, their facebook page lamented on the loss of "premiership players, dragons players, rep players and a key forward who kicked 7 in that early season win" - Well guess what, other clubs dealt with adversity and managed to stick fat. Beaumaris had enough opportunities to put the relegation grim reaper to bed and paid the price for not doing so. The re-signing of the head coach earlier in the year raised a few eyebrows and I wonder internally if the blame is being placed on him and not the loss of players for various reasons.

St Bedes Mentone Tigers - E
The financial incentives offered to a number of players during pre-season and the exodus that ensured was always going to make it tough for SBMT. 2 wins in the final 3 rounds is the positive that club should be focussing on heading into 2025. They have given games to a number of young players who (if they don't get poached) will certainly be great assets to the senior team long term. A 'E' you ask? Well I think they did as well as they could with what they had, no point sticking the boots in as the final finish more than likely reflects the pre-season predictions on this thread.

The marks may be hard, most teams gave themselves the grade they received. Anything I missed? Any hidden gem that could stand out in 25? Love to hear your thoughts.

Old Ivanhoe - B+
A very good season after being promoted, fell away towards the back half of the season but that can be expected when coming up a grade. Good wins against some of the top 4 has them in good stead for season 2025. Injuries played a small part in their form dropping off but they have uncovered a few coming through the junior ranks who look cherry ripe for senior football. With Pine Lodge being redeveloped and a senior side playing great footy finals will be in the clubs plans going forward.

Old Camberwell - B+
Not often both promoted sides fare so well, I congratulated OC on a fine season last week in my preview. Some really encouraging football that showed they are more than capable of playing finals in 2025. Expectations would have been to merely stay up and have too have crack in 25', the style of football the club played caught some seasoned teams napping and they will be fast tracking expectations to experience finals footy.

Williamstown - D
Williamstown would be disappointed with their season, a slow start put them behind the 8-ball immediately and extinguished any chance of finals football. A brilliant effort to rebound late and see them avoid the drop to C. For a side that would have projected themselves to compete for a finals tilt they would be understandably upset with 5.5 wins. Re-group in 2025 and those plans for a higher finish will be a dust off.

Caulfield - F
You don't lose 12 on the bounce and expect to get anything other than a fail. 2024 was a failure of a season and took an effort Houdini would have been proud of just to stay in B. A new coach will arrive at the racecourse over the pre-season and hopefully they find a few in the unders to play senior football. Another re-building year presents itself, consistency of performance will be the benchmark for the Fields' in 2025.

Beaumaris - F
Round 2 Beaumaris 16.5 101 d Old Haileybury 8.10 58 - That is the only positive from season 2024. Exiting the B finals last year they were installed as premiership favs in pre-season. The club didn't fire a shot, their facebook page lamented on the loss of "premiership players, dragons players, rep players and a key forward who kicked 7 in that early season win" - Well guess what, other clubs dealt with adversity and managed to stick fat. Beaumaris had enough opportunities to put the relegation grim reaper to bed and paid the price for not doing so. The re-signing of the head coach earlier in the year raised a few eyebrows and I wonder internally if the blame is being placed on him and not the loss of players for various reasons.

The financial incentives offered to a number of players during pre-season and the exodus that ensured was always going to make it tough for SBMT. 2 wins in the final 3 rounds is the positive that club should be focussing on heading into 2025. They have given games to a number of young players who (if they don't get poached) will certainly be great assets to the senior team long term. A 'E' you ask? Well I think they did as well as they could with what they had, no point sticking the boots in as the final finish more than likely reflects the pre-season predictions on this thread.
Great review. Very accurate

Old Ivanhoe - B+

Old Camberwell - B+

Williamstown - D

Caulfield - F

Beaumaris - F

The Caulfield mark is largely fair. Wins & Losses define seasons. However the issue facing SBMT was the same at Caulfield, experienced players leaving for money (albeit the year before). For example the 22 that won the round 18 game had 9 players still U19 eligible and only 3 over 24 years of age. It is what it is and we have some really talented kids, but they take time to develop into the consistency required to challenge for finals/flags. I still think the upside at Caulfield is huge.

Again BS.

Crowd came after incident.

Good to hear. You would hope an umpire not influenced by a crowd. Much to it? Still struggling to see how a player gets off on such a serious charge. Kids a gun so Haileybury would be relieved.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back