Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that the club has gone out of its way to blow wind up the arse of honest toilers, it's no surprise that theres lots of supporters who don't understand the value of brilliant players. We had a number of them in those flags but it seems the message that we took out of it was that average players played as well, so you don't need the elite to be successful. And we've not yet wised up, even though we're a quarter of a century down the track. If our current philosophies and strategies had walked into the door between '96 and '97, we'd be on zero premierships.

We had 7-8 absolute stars in those premiership teams but there were also blokes in there that probably wouldn’t be a walk up start in our team last year. Probably 6 at least over the two years. And even good players like Koster and Theissen would ranked below Keays.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I managed to get out the today, amazing effort to capture so much big man. I'll provide my take from what I caught. Hopefully a few different things.

Probables and possibles confuse me, so I'm using the terminology:
AFL side = Blue tops
SANFL side = yellow tops.

First half afl vs sanfl
Blue team - AFL SIDE
Yellow Team - SANFL SIDE

Second half - best fwd vs best defence
Blue team - AFL FWD line, AFL Mids, SANFL Backline
Yellow Team - SANFL FWD line, SANFL MIDs, AFL Backline

Injuries
Butts, not sure if I missed something but he was getting worked extremely hard on the side lines running almost like a beep test in front of me while the game was on and in quater time breaks he was made to kick and mark under what looked like fatigue. Thought potentially, it was a work on for him, not an injury.
He was wearing blue top.

Mcadam and Worrell both running laps, I did not notice them in play at all. Big man mentioned that they played. Both in Yellow tops. Would like to see them in our best 22.

Bond and McPherson running laps. Bond is a big boy.

FWD - a lot of shots on goal missed today, with the conditions being fine.

Blues- Walker, Pedlar, Himmelberg, Rachelle, Rankine, Soligo, keays.

Thilthorpe was in the Yellow Team until half time he went into the blue team as the ruck and Rob was moved to the yellow team.

Looked to me like Rachelle, rankine, soligo, Pedlar and keays all got their time in the midfield and up fwd.

Yellow team Murphy, mchenry, Gollant, Newchurch
Newchurch looks bigger, did some nice things and tackled a lot on the wing in front of me, worked hard, and didn't seem unfit to me. He's also actually a bit bigger than he was last year. Be interested to see if he's grown.

Mid
Blue team
our perfered midfield mix looks like Laird, berry, shoenberg. Sloan on a wing, seem like extra midfielder wing and hinge on the other wing. Think thsts the wing we will rotate half back through.

Stand out for me also was Berry, had some zip about him. I knew he had a great vertical leap, so that's a great indicator of powerful legs. But he seemed noticeable faster. I saw a few clean takes at pace. His kicking is improving and definitely not a concern. One kick was slightly off to Pedlar. Pedlar went for it anyway, only to not be able to mark it. Then the next play, the kick was silk and I think Tex kicked a goal from it. synergy building with Laird and Berry. Also, as bigs said Soligo in the mix added to it. I didn't notice much from shoenberg. Sloan had some good moments and some rusty ones. His voice is why he will be still be captain, was very vocal.

Hinge on the wing is interesting, I'm a fan as his kick is a weapon, just not Dawson precision. Think he's a player we should be getting get game into. I wonder with his size why we aren't giving him a run on the inside.

Yellow Team
Perfered midfield Crouch, hately, Taylor.
Holding their own, won their share of clearances. Crouch looked alot bette, and he gave Smith a spray in the second half for just giving up on Sloan and applying no pressure. Sloane out ran Smith by the way..... I'm not impressed with Smith tbh. "We just going to give it to them" "no pressure" Matt said to him.

The Jedi Knight Nankervis, did some nice things but was let down by his kicking at times. Yellow team

Back line
Blue team
Our perfered back line without butts was
Smith, Milera, Hamill, Doedee (no contact cap) Murray, dawson, and Michalanney.

Murray fog battle in front of me was interesting. Both had their moments but one wrestling contest fog threw Murray to the floor and marked the ball. I think fog is going pick up were he left off at the end of the year.
Michalanney did some nice things, few defensive fist out of bounds. Reads the ball well. Milera looked alright from what I saw. Was involved it a few good transitions from defensive to fwd that ending in goals.

Yellow team
Parnell was in the Yellow Team playing hb.
Dowling playing hb, just saw a few missed kicks. Keene had a few nice kicks, I like that pick up.

Ruck
Rob was replaced with Thilthorpe in the second half, I might be going early but the Thilthorpe, Himmelberg ruck compo could be a thing with Thilthorpe being the main man. I get why when I watch Thilthorpe run and carry up the wing, 3-4 bounces to an inside 50. He's like another midfielder.

Positive
No Murphy and Ned in the AFL side. Upgrade our small fwds.
Rob finished in the Yellow side. May have Upgrade our ruck
Midfield looks more settled. Midfield looks better.
Drive off half back. Milera back and Hamill back from injury provides that drive.

Negative
If Butts is injured we look small in our back line.
Don't think our wings are settled yet.
No Cook or Jones.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know laird had the 6th most contested possessions in the afl last year.... and in 2021....

but that's not the point you were making. Re-read what you wrote. Firstly, Laird got to 20 contested possessions, total, only 3 times last year, let alone 20 from the bottom of a pack. Check his ratio to see how he actually gets his touches, it's about 1:2 contested:uncontested. And your claim that macca was being fed simply proves that you don't have the foggiest idea about how he played the game either.

Last edited:

I managed to get out the today, amazing effort to capture so much big man. I'll provide my take from what I caught. Hopefully a few different things.

AFL side = Blue tops

First half afl vs sanfl
Blue team - AFL SIDE
Yellow Team - SANFL SIDE

Injuries
Butts, not sure if I missed something but he was getting worked extremely hard on the side lines running almost like a beep test in front of me while the game was on and in quater time breaks he was made to kick and mark under what looked like fatigue. Thought potentially, it was a work on for him, not an injury.
He was wearing blue top.

Mcadam and Worrell both running laps, I did not notice them in play at all. Big man mentioned that they played. Both in Yellow tops. Would like to see them in our best 22.

Thilthorpe was in the Yellow Team until half time he went into the blue team as the ruck and Rob was moved to the yellow team.

Looked to me like Rachelle, rankine, soligo, Pedlar and keays all got their time in the midfield and up fwd.

Newchurch looks bigger, did some nice things and tackled a lot on the wing in front of me, worked hard, and didn't seem unfit to me. He's also actually a bit bigger than he was last year. Be interested to see if he's grown.

Mid
Blue team
our perfered midfield mix looks like Laird, berry, shoenberg. Sloan on a wing, seem like extra midfielder wing and hinge on the other wing. Think thsts the wing we will rotate half back through.

Stand out for me also was Berry, had some zip about him. I knew he had a great vertical leap, so that's a great indicator of powerful legs. But he seemed noticeable faster. I saw a few clean takes at pace. His kicking is improving and definitely not a concern. One kick was slightly off to Pedlar. Pedlar went for it anyway, only to not be able to mark it. Then the next play, the kick was silk and I think Tex kicked a goal from it. synergy building with Laird and Berry. Also, as bigs said Soligo in the mix added to it. I didn't notice much from shoenberg. Sloan had some good moments and some rusty ones. His voice is why he will be still be captain, was very vocal.

Hinge on the wing is interesting, I'm a fan as his kick is a weapon, just not Dawson precision. Think he's a player we should be getting get game into. I wonder with his size why we aren't giving him a run on the inside.

Yellow Team
Holding their own, won their share of clearances. Crouch looked alot bette, and he gave Smith a spray in the second half for just giving up on Sloan and applying no pressure. Sloane out ran Smith by the way..... I'm not impressed with Smith tbh. "We just going to give it to them" "no pressure" Matt said to him.

The Jedi Knight Nankervis, did some nice things but was let down by his kicking at times. Yellow team

Back line
Blue team

Murray fog battle in front of me was interesting. Both had their moments but one wrestling contest fog threw Murray to the floor and marked the ball. I think fog is going pick up were he left off at the end of the year.
Michalanney did some nice things, few defensive fist out of bounds. Reads the ball well. Milera looked alright from what I saw. Was involved it a few good transitions from defensive to fwd that ending in goals.

Yellow team
Dowling playing hb, just saw a few missed kicks. Keene had a few nice kicks, I like that pick up.

Ruck
Rob was replaced with Thilthorpe in the second half, I might be going early but the Thilthorpe, Himmelberg ruck compo could be a thing with Thilthorpe being the main man. I get why when I watch Thilthorpe run and carry up the wing, 3-4 bounces to an inside 50. He's like another midfielder.

Positive
Drive off half back. Milera back and Hamill back from injury provides that drive.

Negative
No Cook or Jones.

great job

bigman during the match sims and when Dawson has been playing freely out of defence, have we practiced any defensive curtailment moves on him? Or have they let him run freely?

You’d hope they would practise this to help him break it and also for us to stop opposition defenders running amok against us.

AFL side = Blue tops

First half afl vs sanfl
Blue team - AFL SIDE
Yellow Team - SANFL SIDE

Injuries
He was wearing blue top.

Mid
Blue team

Yellow Team

Back line
Blue team

Yellow team

Ruck

Positive

Negative
No Cook or Jones.

Excellent thoughts kick it to me

Did u like the altercation between fog and worrell

bigman during the match sims and when Dawson has been playing freely out of defence, have we practiced any defensive curtailment moves on him? Or have they let him run freely?

You’d hope they would practise this to help him break it and also for us to stop opposition defenders running amok against us.
Did not notice this George but they did use a board with times on it eg 4 minutes to go to play scenarios when there were playing each qr

Did not notice this George but they did use a board with times on it eg 4 minutes to go to play scenarios when there were playing each qr
You would have hoped they would have, that’s what they are going to confront rd 1. Opposition coaches aren’t going to allow Dawson to do what he wants and we’ve struggled stopping opposition defenders

are you kidding?

he has not scored (0.0) from a set shot in the middle of the goal square.... his kick is an abomination
You're talking about things that happened years ago.

It's always going to be a bit weird looking, but he's now got his little stab passes working and they're mostly effective. He works within his limitations, and has worked to fix his kicking issues.

)

It's always going to be a bit weird looking, but he's now got his little stab passes working and they're mostly effective. He works within his limitations, and has worked to fix his kicking issues.

I've always thought his field kicking in general play was fine. It seems he tightens up a lot with a set shot, I think he's better off a single step than with a run up.

Excellent thoughts kick it to me

Did u like the altercation between fog and worrell
I didn't pick up that. I had my son with me so might have been when was giving him some attention. I was scanning for him in the second half and he ran past with Mcadam in the Yellow top and later with butts.

For people saying he's to under size to be a key position player, I think he's pretty close to it tbh. I've seen photos and thought he didn't have enough size, but in person next to butts I would have thought he big enough to play on most talls.

I like that they have a bit of that in their game. Iron sharpens Iron, so if fog is getting better Worrell will get better, shows they are taking it serious if they are getting into a scuffle.

We had 7-8 absolute stars in those premiership teams but there were also blokes in there that probably wouldn’t be a walk up start in our team last year. Probably 6 at least over the two years. And even good players like Koster and Theissen would ranked below Keays.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Did we have that many?
Modra during the year but injured so didnt play in GF
McLeod - Though he was only 21 but did win the Best and Fairest that year
Hart - Legend. 23 years old so also still young but had 2 AA's already so he belongs
Rehn - Coming back from 2 x ACL and slowly got back to his best come finals but not during season so dont count him.
Jarman - Yes
Smart - Yes
So 6 Guns but Rehn coming back from ACL. Mods didnt evern play in GF.

In 1998 really it was the same players except Mods was out for most of the year and not picked for the finals and Rehn was back to his absolute best and McLeod turned into a freak and Goody stepped up. The grand final also has lesser lights of Johnson, Eccles and Theissen have great second halfs.

Did we have that many?
Hart - Legend. 23 years old so also still young but had 2 AA's already so he belongs
Rehn - Coming back from 2 x ACL and slowly got back to his best come finals but not during season so dont count him.
Jarman - Yes
Smart - Yes

In 1998 really it was the same players except Mods was out for most of the year and not picked for the finals and Rehn was back to his absolute best and McLeod turned into a freak and Goody stepped up. The grand final also has lesser lights of Johnson, Eccles and Theissen have great second halfs.

Goodwin, Johnson, Edwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most effective training performances over season:

1 berry
2 Rankine
3 Laird
4 Pedlar
5 Milera
6. Hammil
7 Dawson
8. Shoenberg
9. Walker
10 Dragon

Special mentions
Worrell until injured

Also Parnell Murray scholl very even over season to date

Pleasing to see so few boys injured at this time
No jones?
Surprising 🫤

Agreed. His goalkicking has improved out of sight, small as it is. He got 3:8 in his first 3 years, 5:2 in the last 2. His unopposed field kicking is OK. The big problem, noted before by others, is that it takes an age for the ball to reach his foot in a contested situation, resulting in a fluffed kick more often than not: his composure has not improved. Perhaps, he is being harrassed more by the oppo these days?

It's interesting, looking at his stats, that last year it was his marking and uncontested possessions that were way down on normal.

Yep, no worse than a lot of AFL rucks, awkward looking but more generally goes where he wants it. Set shot goal kicking still iffy however.

Did we have that many?
Jarman - Yes
Smart - Yes

Brett James a star and don’t forget Kane Johnson.

That kick by Soligo in the first clip that doesn't go higher than a metre off the ground is

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

Last edited:

I remember Burton when he first started ....was so nervous with his goal kicking, he couldn't hit the side of a barn

Said something about his nervous disposition ....as that same nervousness was obvious in his role as Footy Manager ....still couldn't hit the side of a barn with his lips

TBF though, Burton became quite a reliable kick for goal ......can't see that with ROB

In field kicking ROB needs to take too many steps to balance ....which is why he ends up rushing or getting smothered

His kicking for goal is fine, now. As I said above, he has 5:2 for the last two years, following 3:8 for the previous three.
That doesn't count shots that he doesn't even register a score!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back