Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Today's Training Session Observations:
A spirited intra-club match at full tilt with umpires. The temperature was matched by the heat that our players brought, with slick movement, aggressive tackling and intense guarding of the mark. I have said it before during this pre-season, but this has been the best quality footy I have seen in my years of watching pre-Christmas footy.

*To see VIDEOS from training today, click the link at the bottom of the summary, which will take you to my Bulldog youtube channel. Be sure to click subscribe (PLEASE) so you can have ongoing free access and alerts:

1. Libba was best on ground in our intra-club match. His clearance work was off the charts.
2. Bedendo played forward and was phenomenal. He took a mark of the year contender and another three contested marks in the 30 minute match simulation. He kicked two goals in that time and missed two others (narrowly) from within 15 metres out, which would have been the cherry on top of a first-class performance.
3. Richards' run and carry was again elite. Metres gained would have been the most on the field.
4. For the respective teams, the midfield for most centre bounces was: Sweet/Bontempelli/Daniel/Weightman Vs English/Liberatore/Macrael/Garcia
5. Our wings were Vandermeer and Baker Vs Bailey Smith and McNeil
6. Hannan's aerobic capacity is next level. He moved from contest to contest with intensity and strength. Rohan Smith could be heard repeatedly lauding his efforts.
7. We loaded up with our forwards on the "white team", with Naughton/Lobb/Ugle-Hagan directly matching up against what appears to be our preferred defensive structure of Jones/Bruce/Keath respectively. All six players had an impact and was an enthralling battle. Lobb covered more territory than one would expect and took a few lead-up marks. Ugle-Hagan looks more nimble and kicked a classy goal from deep in the pocket. Naughton was given a great workout on Jones, with Liam narrowly taking the chocolates. Keath found a lot of the footy and Bruce looks at home in defence.
8. Bont continued his silky form on the track, with an uncanny ability to control time and space, the highlight being a shimmy to evade three opponents and launch a long shot for goal, that narrowly missed.
9. Bailey Dale was vocal and some of his drilling passes were like precision darts.
10. Garcia was dominant and looked Libba-like
11. Khamis was again at full forward and took several marks. He reads the ball so well in the air and finished with a nice goal also.
12. Daniel looks like he is firming for a midfield role. One handball to Weightman in heavy traffic over his head was like Hunter to Picken in the 2016 GF. Bevo was applauding on the sidelines and seems like he loves CD.
13. Darcy, Treloar and Gardner did repeated run throughs again. Treloar then did some extended kicking and must be close to a return. West and Roarke sat out the session, while Busslinger and Gallagher ran slower laps.
14. Charlie Clarke was spirited and looks like a find.
15. McLean was in the thick of the action and rotated onto the wing. His hands were clean and composure elite. As good as a new recruit following his absence last season.
16. Tyler Brown kicked a goal and had a few involvements. Other noticable newcomers include Poulter (quiet) and Joel Garner (not the West Indian cricketer).
17. Matt Spangher was again our most vocal coach. He was urging the players to "stay in the moment" and was instructional and assertive throughout. Like what I've seen from him this year.
18. Sweet went head to head with English. Tim was again dominant around the ground, while Sweet's tapwork was impressive.
19. Bailey Smith and Vandermeer combined well. Laith feeding Smith on several occasions to allow Bailey to run and deliver deep to our dangerous talls.
20. Bevo was stalking the boundary like a hyena and looks like a man with his eye on the prize.
*We have over 31,000 members currently. If you're not one of them, buy yourself and a family member a Christmas membership to be part of what I predict will be our Premiership year!
Thanks as always for this. Interested in your thoughts/observations on some of the other fringe types - Crozier, A. Jones, Duryea, Cleary, Williams?

Also, interesting to see you say Jones/Bruce/Keath is our preferred defensive setup but I notice Gardner was running laps. Has there been anything to suggest that Bruce is outperforming Gardner, or is it just that he's injured/not in full training?

Thanks as always for this. Interested in your thoughts/observations on some of the other fringe types - Crozier, A. Jones, Duryea, Cleary, Williams?

Also, interesting to see you say Jones/Bruce/Keath is our preferred defensive setup but I notice Gardner was running laps. Has there been anything to suggest that Bruce is outperforming Gardner, or is it just that he's injured/not in full training?
Gardner is a lock when fit. He has had a calf niggle and will replace one of that trio. But its pretty neck and neck stuff. A lot will hinge on fitness, but if they are all healthy, it will be an intriguing match committee conundrum.

Crozier and Williams were solid with setting the world on fire. Croz was no fuss and reliable. Truck played off half back and launched some deep clearances. Doc was fumbly today. Some uncharacteristic moments. Jones had some exciting moments and one huge leap where he cleaned up his teammate (Buku). Was zippy and lively, without accumulating many stats. Cleary has been building back from injury and limited minutes and impact.

Gardner is a lock when fit. He has had a calf niggle and will replace one of that trio. But its pretty neck and neck stuff. A lot will hinge on fitness, but if they are all healthy, it will be an intriguing match committee conundrum.

Crozier and Williams were solid with setting the world on fire. Croz was no fuss and reliable. Truck played off half back and launched some deep clearances. Doc was fumbly today. Some uncharacteristic moments. Jones had some exciting moments and one huge leap where he cleaned up his teammate (Buku). Was zippy and lively, without accumulating many stats. Cleary has been building back from injury and limited minutes and impact.
Someone on Woof mentioned it was clear how far behind the pack Jones & Marra are in the running drills - would you agree with that? Jones I can understand as he’s never been an endurance athlete and coming back from the year off too but I’d be disappointed if Marra was still that far off fitness wise. Not concerning long term as he looks to be putting in the work and is still a baby whilst also trying to bulk up at the same time wouldn’t be easy, but just would be disappointing in regards to this year as I’m expecting big things from him and he needs to get his fitness levels up to a high enough state to compete all game/season

Someone on Woof mentioned it was clear how far behind the pack Jones & Marra are in the running drills - would you agree with that? Jones I can understand as he’s never been an endurance athlete and coming back from the year off too but I’d be disappointed if Marra was still that far off fitness wise. Not concerning long term as he looks to be putting in the work and is still a baby whilst also trying to bulk up at the same time wouldn’t be easy, but just would be disappointing in regards to this year as I’m expecting big things from him and he needs to get his fitness levels up to a high enough state to compete all game/season
Liam actually worked Naughton over quite a few times, dashing off and providing an extra number. Marra has never looked fitter. I spoke with him earlier in the week and he has been doing extended boxing sessions so I am not sure what the WOOF poster was looking at. Marra looks like a specimen and has clearly worked his socks off over summer. He got to a contest today that he had no right to reach and forced a turnover goal that delighted Spangher.

A spirited intra-club match at full tilt with umpires. The temperature was matched by the heat that our players brought, with slick movement, aggressive tackling and intense guarding of the mark. I have said it before during this pre-season, but this has been the best quality footy I have seen in my years of watching pre-Christmas footy.

*To see VIDEOS from training today, click the link at the bottom of the summary, which will take you to my Bulldog youtube channel. Be sure to click subscribe (PLEASE) so you can have ongoing free access and alerts:

1. Libba was best on ground in our intra-club match. His clearance work was off the charts.
2. Bedendo played forward and was phenomenal. He took a mark of the year contender and another three contested marks in the 30 minute match simulation. He kicked two goals in that time and missed two others (narrowly) from within 15 metres out, which would have been the cherry on top of a first-class performance.
3. Richards' run and carry was again elite. Metres gained would have been the most on the field.
4. For the respective teams, the midfield for most centre bounces was: Sweet/Bontempelli/Daniel/Weightman Vs English/Liberatore/Macrael/Garcia
6. Hannan's aerobic capacity is next level. He moved from contest to contest with intensity and strength. Rohan Smith could be heard repeatedly lauding his efforts.
7. We loaded up with our forwards on the "white team", with Naughton/Lobb/Ugle-Hagan directly matching up against what appears to be our preferred defensive structure of Jones/Bruce/Keath respectively. All six players had an impact and was an enthralling battle. Lobb covered more territory than one would expect and took a few lead-up marks. Ugle-Hagan looks more nimble and kicked a classy goal from deep in the pocket. Naughton was given a great workout on Jones, with Liam narrowly taking the chocolates. Keath found a lot of the footy and Bruce looks at home in defence.
8. Bont continued his silky form on the track, with an uncanny ability to control time and space, the highlight being a shimmy to evade three opponents and launch a long shot for goal, that narrowly missed.
9. Bailey Dale was vocal and some of his drilling passes were like precision darts.
11. Khamis was again at full forward and took several marks. He reads the ball so well in the air and finished with a nice goal also.
12. Daniel looks like he is firming for a midfield role. One handball to Weightman in heavy traffic over his head was like Hunter to Picken in the 2016 GF. Bevo was applauding on the sidelines and seems like he loves CD.
13. Darcy, Treloar and Gardner did repeated run throughs again. Treloar then did some extended kicking and must be close to a return. West and Roarke sat out the session, while Busslinger and Gallagher ran slower laps.
15. McLean was in the thick of the action and rotated onto the wing. His hands were clean and composure elite. As good as a new recruit following his absence last season.
16. Tyler Brown kicked a goal and had a few involvements. Other noticable newcomers include Poulter (quiet) and Joel Garner (not the West Indian cricketer).
17. Matt Spangher was again our most vocal coach. He was urging the players to "stay in the moment" and was instructional and assertive throughout. Like what I've seen from him this year.
18. Sweet went head to head with English. Tim was again dominant around the ground, while Sweet's tapwork was impressive.
19. Bailey Smith and Vandermeer combined well. Laith feeding Smith on several occasions to allow Bailey to run and deliver deep to our dangerous talls.
20. Bevo was stalking the boundary like a hyena and looks like a man with his eye on the prize.
*We have over 31,000 members currently. If you're not one of them, buy yourself and a family member a Christmas membership to be part of what I predict will be our Premiership year!

Fabulous report. We had 35k members this time last year so that figure is disappointing. Perhaps, the uncertainty of when the AFLW season will be next year has a bit to do with it.

AFL and VFL flags both in the bag by the sound of it! :)

Love your work mate!

Thanks for sharing.

Did you get to see what Lades role was at the breaks? Did he just take a line or was he in there with the whole group? He’s the mids coach, but would be interested to see how much he’s being used during training considering his experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Did you get to see what Lades role was at the breaks? Did he just take a line or was he in there with the whole group? He’s the mids coach, but would be interested to see how much he’s being used during training considering his experience.
The group stayed as a collective - Bevo addressed them. During play, the coaches were dotted on the boundary separately around the ground, offering constant feedback and instruction. Bevo and Lade were more mobile and constantly repositioning themselves, while Spangher and Rohan Smith were anchored at their respective ends and the loudest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The group stayed as a collective - Bevo addressed them. During play, the coaches were dotted on the boundary separately around the ground, offering constant feedback and instruction. Bevo and Lade were more mobile and constantly repositioning themselves, while Spangher and Rohan Smith were anchored at their respective ends and the loudest.
Great reports, ITK. Thank you 😀

I like the idea of trying guys in the midfield. Caleb, Dale, Truck, West, Garcia all have the potential to play well there.

We have enough talent to improve significantly from within. there were many guys who had down years last year.

Look at Sydney last year. They were clearly a good midfielder short of the best teams for most of the year, but rather than waiting and addressing it post season, they threw Papley in there and it got them to a grand final.

I wouldn't say he's a lock. If we're heading into the season with Jones, Keath, Gardner & Bruce as our KPD options then realistically any combination of 2-3 of guys could be in the round 1 side. They all could be very capable options but at the same time all carry individuals issues with injury, form and age.

I wouldn't say he's a lock. If we're heading into the season with Jones, Keath, Gardner & Bruce as our KPD options then realistically any combination of 2-3 of guys could be in the round 1 side. They all could be very capable options but at the same time all carry individuals issues with injury, form and age.
That is a fair call. Based on Gardner's top 10 finish in the B&F, I have him as a certainty. But, as you have pointed out, there are no certainties in footy and all four players mentioned are capable. It makes for a competitive lead-up to round one.

I get the feeling Garcia could be the one that steps up in a part time on ball role - he really is good in there and I don’t really love him forward of the ball tbh. Whereas West could be good enough to play as a genuine forward for a whole season IMO.

Garcia could add a nice little point of difference in there

I get the feeling Garcia could be the one that steps up in a part time on ball role - he really is good in there and I don’t really love him forward of the ball tbh. Whereas West could be good enough to play as a genuine forward for a whole season IMO.

Garcia could add a nice little point of difference in there
It was interesting that Garcia was playing on ball and Baz was on the wing. I might be reading into it a bit too much and they might have just been easing Baz back into match sim in a less physical role.

It was interesting that Garcia was playing on ball and Baz was on the wing. I might be reading into it a bit too much and they might have just been easing Baz back into match sim in a less physical role.
Baz rolled through there too, but mainly stalked the perimeters where his dash, carry and long inside 50's were always explosive and dangerous.

Baz rolled through there too, but mainly stalked the perimeters where his dash, carry and long inside 50's were always explosive and dangerous.

Thanks for all your work ITK.

Just on Baz I have no issues with his running capacity, burst and dash BUT with him it all comes down to how well he uses the ball with his foot skills.

His foot skills so far in his career is a real issue for him IMO.

He needs to address it as he has far too many really good attributes to waste with bad foot skills.

Thanks for all your work ITK.

Just on Baz I have no issues with his running capacity, burst and dash BUT with him it all comes down to how well he uses the ball with his foot skills.

His foot skills so far in his career is a real issue for him IMO.

He needs to address it as he has far too many really good attributes to waste with bad foot skills.
When he hits them well, it is poetry in motion. The flipside can be hard to watch, so hopefully he becomes more consistent, as he is an incredible weapon if this part of his game improves. Yesterday, his long kicking was a feature. Not unlike my putting on fast greens, his short game came undone on one occasion yesterday with a low pass missing its target resulting in Rohan Smith screaming out "How did that happen? We should never mess it up from there".

I also heard Lade call out to Baz after an awesome dash along the wing "That's the way you do it". Clearly a Dire Straits fan.

I like Garcia but he needs to work on his fitness and endurance. He seems to play well for 2-3 weeks, then drops away not to be seen again. The season is a long one and he needs to work on how to get through the whole thing and not just impact a game or two.

workrate unquestionable. kicking and decision making needs a lot of work, but that is the 'only' thing what is stopping him from being a dangerous player. The worry is that a lot of his bad decisions and wonky kicks come after he has worked very hard to have the time and space where bad decisions and woinky kicks shouldnt be an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back