Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's hope Rhylee West really can be a worthy replacement for Dunkley in our midfield. If his application, as mentioned in this article is any guide, then he could be well on the way to achieving just that.

This was telling:

“We’ve had a bit of change around the footy club at the end of this year, so hopefully this builds closer relationships and we can have a stable group that brings everyone together and helps team chemistry.”

It was discernible, the lack of chemistry this year.

Let's hope Rhylee West really can be a worthy replacement for Dunkley in our midfield. If his application, as mentioned in this article is any guide, then he could be well on the way to achieving just that.

Love this, fitness is the only thing holding Westy back - if he can run all day this year he’s going to do big things whether forward or midfield.

How good an influence is our captain though? The blokes genuinely a living AFL saint - just the aura around him, people just gravitate to him and he has probably had more of an influence on so many young blokes careers at the club than anyone else. Marra last year West this year, I’d suggest Dunks wouldn’t be half the player he currently is if he didn’t shadow the great man over the past 8 years.

And people still question his leadership on here?

Buku seems like he’s made the transition to full time forward this preseason - it’s an interesting call as I see more space for him in the backline as a 3rd tall tbh where I just can’t really see a spot up forward with the likely 3 tall setup. But he does look very natural there from day 1 when he moved. He could be a weapon alongside two genuine talls - really excited to see what’s in store for him, he’s really close to being a pretty damn handy player

Buku seems like he’s made the transition to full time forward this preseason - it’s an interesting call as I see more space for him in the backline as a 3rd tall tbh where I just can’t really see a spot up forward with the likely 3 tall setup. But he does look very natural there from day 1 when he moved. He could be a weapon alongside two genuine talls - really excited to see what’s in store for him, he’s really close to being a pretty damn handy player

Similar principle to training Bruce in defence, possibly. Already know what he can do at the other end.

We’ve moved Raak forward since drafting as well. Maybe we think good marks around that height will be better forwards than defenders.

Similar principle to training Bruce in defence, possibly. Already know what he can do at the other end.
Yeah possibly, but a little bit different in that Bukus still finding his feet whereas Bruce is experienced and what you see is what you get now. Considering Bukus a bit of a project and still probably a long shot to make it I’d prefer him to settle somewhere and get a good run at it at this stage of his career.

I’d say he probably will get thrown around a little bit throughout the season though, it’s hard to decide which end of the ground he will settle at. I’d love him to come on in a big way in defence as 3rd or even 4th tall but there’s just something about him forward too that just seems to click when he’s up there.

The kid kicks goals and that’s nothing to sneeze at, he’s as athletic & quick as anyone on the list if he gets his tank up to scratch and his defensive pressure follows then maybe he could sneak in as a 4th tall (that could be thrown back too) - would be a pretty bloody ridiculous amount of marking power forward of the ball 😳 Lobb, Naughty, Marra & Buku with Cody, Clarke & JJ at their feet! 👀

With the sub now too so maybe Buku could be the tall utility you can probably afford to carry with the sub back.

Does anyone know what the Christmas break dates are for our players? What is the last day of training during this current block, and when do they resume training next year?

This was telling:

“We’ve had a bit of change around the footy club at the end of this year, so hopefully this builds closer relationships and we can have a stable group that brings everyone together and helps team chemistry.”

It was discernible, the lack of chemistry this year.
Anyone know why Cordy left, was he pushed or was there something more to his departure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know why Cordy left, was he pushed or was there something more to his departure?
Cordy is a similar story to Lewis Young and Lipinski. We were only prepared to offer a modest contract extension and another club offered significantly better terms.

As professionals with a limited lifespan, they really had to take the alternate offer.

We rated him as a peripheral/depth option. Not exactly pushed out but we were happy enough to move him on with best wishes.

Geez English is just a massive unit these days.
His shoulders are ridiculous, I dunno if it’s his tiny little head but **** me is he broad. No excuses anymore because of size, just has to compete in the contest this year. Obviously the rest of his game is elite but needs to take a big step forward in the contest

Buku’s traits are so exciting up forward.

Having Marra, Naughton and Lobb up forward with Khamis / Darcy floating around would be insane fire power.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This would be a really unbalanced forward line that would struggle to keep the ball in the forward line.

This would be a really unbalanced forward line that would struggle to keep the ball in the forward line.
I agree with Darcy but not necessarily Buku - providing his tank improves (which it’s not currently at the level required) he’s super quick and defensively minded at ground level.

Plus it’s not like they’d all be on the field at the same time. Lobb will be taking ruck minutes, Marra & Naughty can play super high up the field and there will always be one to two on the pine. Keep them fresh to make the most of their on field minutes.

Plus Naughty is elite with his defensive pressure and if Marras tank is improved he will be pretty bloody close behind too with his pace & intent.

I’d love to see Marra and especially Naughty spend considerable time up field this year as high flankers up onto the wing to help us transition the footy better.

I’m all about height across the field this year, surrounded by pace. I think it’s the way forward for us - buku could fit in their nicely

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back