Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t fathom this talk of Hunter’s great ball use. I must have watching a different player . He’s completely left sided & thus predictable. He constantly kicked across his body when he could have gone on the right.

He improved as he went on , but was far from elite.

One of my criticisms of our midfield over the last few seasons is that we don’t get enough goals from them. Hunter kicked 73 goals across 10 seasons , with 84 behinds. I know this isn’t the fairest metric by which to judge him , but he pushed forward more than some of our other mids. He ran hard and found the space . But he rarely trusted himself enough to finish it off.

Whatever we think about Hunter's kicking skills, I'll wager Melbourne recruiters are slapping themselves on the back for gaining a former B&F, premiership player for a future pick in the 50's.
This is all true + we are paying a portion of his salary.

If you just look at photos of him he looks the fittest I've ever seen him.

But letting him go was still the right decision. Culture + standards is by far the most important thing at football club. Too many times he broke the trust of players + club. A real shame.

Cordy had his best year with us at CHF 2016 especially the final series.
I think that’s a bit of revisionist history. He filled in a very specific role for a handful of games and did a solid job but he was hardly productive, just a pure role player.

He had some very solid seasons in 2017 & 2018 as a key defender but for whatever reason his development stalled and actually went backwards.

Hunter looks in great nick. Will be a good pick up for the Dees. Shame he couldn't get it together at the Dogs. I'm not convinced he would have managed without the change of clubs as a kick up the arse.

Hopefully a guy like Bedendo can have a breakout year. He brings a pretty good skill set to the best 22 that we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Bedendo our version of the 90s KPF "great white hope"?

I know Baker has his fans, surely he's ahead of Bedendo but still misses out to our first choice wing pair of Williams and Scott. McLean can take a wing rotation for coverage.

Maybe we will see a Bedendo / Arty wing pairing in time but I don't it's this year. Both kids need time (which is ok)

Did Oskar Baker even play yesterday?

I think that’s a bit of revisionist history. He filled in a very specific role for a handful of games and did a solid job but he was hardly productive, just a pure role player.

He had some very solid seasons in 2017 & 2018 as a key defender but for whatever reason his development stalled and actually went backwards.
He kicked 2 very important goals in the prelim, that's very productive in my book, when goals were priceless in that game. His other games in that final series were better than solid too, you're selling him short.

Maybe we will see a Bedendo / Arty wing pairing in time but I don't it's this year. Both kids need time (which is ok)

I’ve been around this board for around 20 years so I’ve seen many a young player rated as “I’m just not seeing it with him,” in his early 20s to “he’s a shoo in for the All Australian this year” in his mid 20s.

The club is pretty good with developing talent & finding the best role for mid range draft picks.

Bedendo is our next star (who is medium sized that is). I think we can all see he has the raw tools to be very damaging on the wing and a hard matchup when forward. An exciting talent. It should click for him in the next two years.
Thought he played well in the two games he got last year. Just looking forward to him adding to that at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Asked Chat GPT the following question: "What is the chance that the Western Bulldogs will win the 2023 AFL premiership? What are your reasons?"
Answer: "There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including how well the Bulldogs perform in the upcoming season. However, given their recent history and the strength of their roster, it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Bulldogs have a good chance of winning the premiership in the next year or two."
So much for AI !!!

Thought he did quite well defensively, I think I remember him catching two players holding the ball. There was a couple times where he looked in trouble, but showed great speed to burn off his opponent. Didn't have much impact I agree though.

I don't know about you, but I have pretty low expectations. If he can play a role for us then I think that's a win. He was never going to be a star.

Asked Chat GPT the following question: "What is the chance that the Western Bulldogs will win the 2023 AFL premiership? What are your reasons?"
Answer: "There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including how well the Bulldogs perform in the upcoming season. However, given their recent history and the strength of their roster, it is not unreasonable to suggest that the Bulldogs have a good chance of winning the premiership in the next year or two."
So much for AI !!!

It only has access to data as recent as two years ago; it doesn't know we got Oskar Baker who makes us a certainty for the flag

Thought he did quite well defensively, I think I remember him catching two players holding the ball. There was a couple times where he looked in trouble, but showed great speed to burn off his opponent. Didn't have much impact I agree though.

I don't know about you, but I have pretty low expectations. If he can play a role for us then I think that's a win. He was never going to be a star.
I think it's clear from looking at our gamestyle and the way we set up yesterday that our offence is going to be very direct, with ball use through the corridor our mode A, B, and C. I think our philosophy with wings is therefore going to be making sure we don't get beaten going back the other way with strong spread - I'm not convinced accumulation or hurt factor are high priorities for us in that portion of the ground.

Last edited:

Theres a type of player that gets the ball, sprints 20m and sprays a kick. Is Baker one of those?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back