PREVIEW THREAD: Round 2 Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hawks board are a cocky mob nothing new they think they just turn up and they win. Just like the last time we played at the G 2016 and we
know what the result was there.

Like last week I am pretty confident we win the midfield which gives us a good chance at grabbing a victory.

What do people want to do with Trengove or English when theyre not in the ruck? Clog up a forward line that for the first time in years was mobile and dangerous with plenty of space? No thanks.

Clog up a mobile defence who provided plenty of run and clean skills all game? Nope

Sit on the bench and waste a much needed small rotation? Nope.

Run English into the ground when he is coming off a foot stress injury and let him get brutalized by two mature rucks?

Nope

What do people want to do with Trengove or English when theyre not in the ruck? Clog up a forward line that for the first time in years was mobile and dangerous with plenty of space? No thanks.

Clog up a mobile defence who provided plenty of run and clean skills all game? Nope

Sit on the bench and waste a much needed small rotation? Nope.

Spot on. Neither offer enough up fwd to warrant playing both. We essentially play a man down. Much rather have the extra runner, fwd or defender.
Our mids are strong enough to negate Hawks’ stronger ruck situation so playing one ruck is an advantage imo.

Run English into the ground when he is coming off a foot stress injury and let him get brutalized by two mature rucks?

Nope

Seems a bit dramatic to suggest playing him as the lead ruck two weeks in a row is running him into the ground.

Wouldn’t Trengove take Schache’s turns in the ruck anyway?

Nope

Play Trengove instead then. If we had a Ceglar type that could impact in other areas of the ground then the two ruckman may work. It won’t with our current situation though.
Having said that Trengove had an outstanding VFL hitout going by his numbers so they may play both as Bevo not the type to drop players that played ok in a strong win which is the case with English.

Seems a bit dramatic to suggest playing him as the lead ruck two weeks in a row is running him into the ground.

Wouldn’t Trengove take Schache’s turns in the ruck anyway?

With our record of managing players workloads and injuries, id say it was common sense to question the strategy of playing a young underdeveloped ruck solo.

But each to their own

Play Trengove instead then. If we had a Ceglar type that could impact in other areas of the ground then the two ruckman may work. It won’t with our current situation though.
Having said that Trengove had an outstanding VFL hitout going by his numbers so they may play both as Bevo not the type to drop players that played ok in a strong win which is the case with English.

I think Trengove could follow a ruck back and English could have some more bench time..Doubt we will go that way though. Would prefer Trengove to English when ppl aying teams with two genuine rucks as you say.

The hawks board are a cocky mob nothing new they think they just turn up and they win. Just like the last time we played at the G 2016 and we
know what the result was there.

Like last week I am pretty confident we win the midfield which gives us a good chance at grabbing a victory.
Surely you sisn't expect anything else .. they beat Adelaide and suddenly the premiership is on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't hurt to give him two more. He gets another tough one against the Hawks, then a much easier game against the Suns to hopefully bring him some confidence and keep the hunger alive, then if Lipinski is still performing in the VFL we swap them out (or reshuffle positions and bring JJ back by that point)
If he happens to line up on Isaac Smith he will get one of the best lessons in how an expert wingman operates. Smith (Haw) runs very fast all day, one of the best in the business.

Maybe you have to align with the perceptions of the coach. He did not rate TC or Rough and both are gone. We won the clearances comfortably 41-32, stoppages 30-22 and the centre bounces 11-10. So how important are hit outs in Bevo's overall game plan? McEvoy will no doubt win the hit outs but who will get the ball out? Libba was an absolute dynamo and his presence alters the clearance dynamics unbelievably.
Let me rewind you back to 2015, Bevo's first year in charge and the year we broke out as a team. Do you know who played the first half of the season as our #1 ruck? Ayce Cordy. We got smashed in the ruck every week, but our mids were still good enough to be competitive at the stoppages. Eventually it still got to a point where we lost 3 in a row and Beveridge had to swallow his pride and return Minson to the team and we started winning again.

Today, the ruck is even more important because of the new rules. Yes, our midfielders showed they still don't necessarily need a ruck to dominate, but when Sydney's midfield got on top in the last quarter, it made our problems in the ruck all the more glaring.
Also, how do you know what Beveridge's "overall game plan" is? For all we know, he'd love to have a high quality ruckman, but simply hasn't had one for years. English looks like he could be the solution, but as things stand, he's not ready yet.
English was excellent in following up the ruck contests and will become more competitive, just give him time.
I wouldn't call 8 disposals "excellent" follow up work. This is what I mean by warped perceptions: he got a clearance in a big moment near the end of the 4th quarter, which lead to a goal. That moment alone, maybe with a couple of others seems to have convinced people he played amazing.

McEvoy just picked up a lazy 8 marks, 5 contested, 2 goals, and is arguably Hawthorn's best player right now. If we send English alone to compete with him, he will get destroyed.

Bevo tends not to just give rookies 1 game then drop them if I remember correctly. I expect us to go in unchanged, save for a Suckling or similar forced injury change.

38,000 predicted at the G. Surely it’ll nudge 50K?

I thought it would be more but maybe Hawthorn fans more effected by ongoing train work around Melbourne lines or this timeslot is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back