PREVIEW THREAD: Round 2 Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me rewind you back to 2015, Bevo's first year in charge and the year we broke out as a team. Do you know who played the first half of the season as our #1 ruck? Ayce Cordy. We got smashed in the ruck every week, but our mids were still good enough to be competitive at the stoppages. Eventually it still got to a point where we lost 3 in a row and Beveridge had to swallow his pride and return Minson to the team and we started winning again.

Today, the ruck is even more important because of the new rules. Yes, our midfielders showed they still don't necessarily need a ruck to dominate, but when Sydney's midfield got on top in the last quarter, it made our problems in the ruck all the more glaring.
Also, how do you know what Beveridge's "overall game plan" is? For all we know, he'd love to have a high quality ruckman, but simply hasn't had one for years. English looks like he could be the solution, but as things stand, he's not ready yet.

I wouldn't call 8 disposals "excellent" follow up work. This is what I mean by warped perceptions: he got a clearance in a big moment near the end of the 4th quarter, which lead to a goal. That moment alone, maybe with a couple of others seems to have convinced people he played amazing.

McEvoy just picked up a lazy 8 marks, 5 contested, 2 goals, and is arguably Hawthorn's best player right now. If we send English alone to compete with him, he will get destroyed.

Yes this a tough one I am sure Clarkson is going to try to exploit us for height with McEvoy and Ceglar. Maybe we should employ the power tactics they used on Gawn on McEvoy. Also do we need Trengove all to we go smaller and use run and gun ? Difficult question happy to leave to Bevo but you not beat the hawks at their own game of precision kicking so maybe the we go run and gun.

Let me rewind you back to 2015, Bevo's first year in charge and the year we broke out as a team. Do you know who played the first half of the season as our #1 ruck? Ayce Cordy. We got smashed in the ruck every week, but our mids were still good enough to be competitive at the stoppages. Eventually it still got to a point where we lost 3 in a row and Beveridge had to swallow his pride and return Minson to the team and we started winning again.

Today, the ruck is even more important because of the new rules. Yes, our midfielders showed they still don't necessarily need a ruck to dominate, but when Sydney's midfield got on top in the last quarter, it made our problems in the ruck all the more glaring.
Also, how do you know what Beveridge's "overall game plan" is? For all we know, he'd love to have a high quality ruckman, but simply hasn't had one for years. English looks like he could be the solution, but as things stand, he's not ready yet.

I wouldn't call 8 disposals "excellent" follow up work. This is what I mean by warped perceptions: he got a clearance in a big moment near the end of the 4th quarter, which lead to a goal. That moment alone, maybe with a couple of others seems to have convinced people he played amazing.

McEvoy just picked up a lazy 8 marks, 5 contested, 2 goals, and is arguably Hawthorn's best player right now. If we send English alone to compete with him, he will get destroyed.

Let's go back to the first half of 2015. Do you know who played in the ruck? Minson, rounds 1-3, Cordy in for games 3-8, so if you think cordy played for half of the year i have some land for you at paradise beach. In rounds 5&8, Rough was the leading ruckman in hit outs so it must have been in tandem with Cordy; at best, Cordy was #1 ruck for games 4,6 & 7 and you equate Tim English with Ayce. They were both first round picks but after that who knows where they will be at the end of their careers.

Excellent follow up work doesn't mean that English got possessions, it was observing his contesting after landing and trying to help others move the ball on or hold it in for another contest. We were discussing this at half time not after looking at the last quarter clearance. Maybe my perceptions were warped by ageing eyesight but it was a conclusion from just being there.

Did you see Libba was off the ground for some of the time when Sideny's midfield got on top? When he returned, we steadied, were hit outs a decisive factor in their comeback or did we tire as the coach suggested? Thanks for the smart arse suggestion about knowing Beveridge's game plan; of course I wouldn't know, he considered snow white for the back line in round 1 and won the game with his choices, leaving out talls that i would have thought were a necessity.

As you say, English is a couple of years off being the player we all hope he turns out to be. Does Beveridge rates rucks after his years in the system? Dunkley and Jong say hi. Have followed McEvoy closely as wanted us to draft him in 2007, he has had a good career and will no doubt dominate in some aspects of the game and work in tandem with Ceglar to run English ragged. Will our selectors match their two rucks?

As you say, English is a couple of years off being the player we all hope he turns out to be. Does Beveridge rates rucks after his years in the system? Dunkley and Jong say hi. Have followed McEvoy closely as wanted us to draft him in 2007, he has had a good career and will no doubt dominate in some aspects of the game and work in tandem with Ceglar to run English ragged. Will our selectors match their two rucks?
The post match presser seemed to indicate we'll go in again with English as sole ruck.

McEvoy is a genuine target up forward when he goes there, Ceglar not so much. With Roughy and Gunston I actually rate Hawthorn's marking capacity forward higher than Sydney's with a half-fit Buddy and a Sam Reid who is three blades of grass away from injury at any point in time, but Beo seemed unlike to change the team balance. I suggest we will keep to the same strategy as round 1 until we lose, then reassess. If only we had a tall(ish) intercept type player who can use the ball well. A Lachie Plowman type.

The post match presser seemed to indicate we'll go in again with English as sole ruck.

McEvoy is a genuine target up forward when he goes there, Ceglar not so much. With Roughy and Gunston I actually rate Hawthorn's marking capacity forward higher than Sydney's with a half-fit Buddy and a Sam Reid who is three blades of grass away from injury at any point in time, but Beo seemed unlike to change the team balance. I suggest we will keep to the same strategy as round 1 until we lose, then reassess. If only we had a tall(ish) intercept type player who can use the ball well. A Lachie Plowman type.

Williams can become that intercept player eventually. He’s not overly tall but reads the play well and takes a strong mark when floating across.
I even see him becoming the Wood replacement and with better skills he could become a very important player in the future.

It doesn’t help our lack of that kind of player for this week but it’s something to look at.

Buku and Lachie Young look likely types in that role. Its such an important role in our side no wonder we seem to put a big emphasis on it every draft

Williams can become that intercept player eventually. He’s not overly tall but reads the play well and takes a strong mark when floating across.
I even see him becoming the Wood replacement and with better skills he could become a very important player in the future.

It doesn’t help our lack of that kind of player for this week but it’s something to look at.
TBH I rate Crozier's intercept capacity highly and think he's an outstanding pick up. Bailey trained with the mids all summer and if we can keep him (I hope we do) he seems set to be more of a mid than anything.

Buku and Lachie Young look likely types in that role. Its such an important role in our side no wonder we seem to put a big emphasis on it every draft
Yeah Young is the surprise, Vandermeer was drafted for the role too. Bukes has a lot fo work to do to get his tank near AFL standard, he's got the tools but his running capacity out of the u18s was not even VFL level and he's losing months with his knee injury.

Yes this a tough one I am sure Clarkson is going to try to exploit us for height with McEvoy and Ceglar. Maybe we should employ the power tactics they used on Gawn on McEvoy. Also do we need Trengove all to we go smaller and use run and gun ? Difficult question happy to leave to Bevo but you not beat the hawks at their own game of precision kicking so maybe the we go run and gun.
Rain predicted and MCG may by soaked. Good luck with their tall forwards - Daniel, Suckling, Williams, Wood, Richards, Dureya, Crozier and the mids will have a field day...

Segmentation a look in the rear view mirror.

Segment 1: Players 1 to 6 = 600, Better 16 times in 2018.

Segment 2: Players 7 to 12 = 451, Better 11 times in 2018.

Segment 3: Players 13 to 18 = 300, Better 19 times in 2018.

Segment 4: Players 19 to 22 = 120, Better 15 times in 2018.

TBH I rate Crozier's intercept capacity highly and think he's an outstanding pick up. Bailey trained with the mids all summer and if we can keep him (I hope we do) he seems set to be more of a mid than anything.

Fair call on Crozier.

Do you think with the unknown surrounding Libba and Wallis and the possibility Dunkley not going on with his 2018 form it’s possible that Williams was being prepared in that role during the pre season as back up ?

They know what he can do down back and may have been confident that if he wasn’t needed in the midfield he’d slot back in to defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call on Crozier.

Do you think with the unknown surrounding Libba and Wallis and the possibility Dunkley not going on with his 2018 form it’s possible that Williams was being prepared in that role during the pre season as back up ?

They know what he can do down back and may have been confident that if he wasn’t needed in the midfield he’d slot back in to defence.
TBH not really as after an outstanding month last year he ran with the mids in a few games towards the back end of last year. His JLT form and round 1 performance were not up to what he was doing last year but I still rate him longer term.

I think we'll need to hope we have that hybrid tallish defender from somewhere sooner rather than later. Suckling's close to starting his NFL career and Wood I suspect won't play into his 30s given his injury history, so hopefully one of the Youngs and/or Vandermeer develop well.

Rather see Naughton back this week against Roughy.

FB: Crozier - Naughton - Duryea
HB: Daniel - Wood - Richards
C: Hunter - Bontempelli - Suckling
HF: McLean - Cordy - Lloyd
FF: Wallis - Schache - Gowers
R: English - Macrae - Liberatore
I: Dunkley - Smith - Dickson

Is this a troll post 😮 ?

Cordy offers near to nothing up fwd compared to Naughts.
Essentially we go in with a significantly weaker fwd line and a backline that’s still a kpp short.
Not keen at all.

I feel as though our high possession high risk game style won’t be as effective in the rain.
Will have to maintain a higher fwd pressure than hawks and control the territory for most the game to win I reckon.

I’d like to see Cordy start on Sicily and use his knees....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Like Bevo said, they want to go out and try win the game first before trying to save it. Naughton back and Cordy fwd would be the ultimate step back + try save the game move instead of being aggressive and trying to win.

Segmentation a look in the rear view mirror.

Segment 1: Players 1 to 6 = 600, Better 16 times in 2018.

Segment 2: Players 7 to 12 = 451, Better 11 times in 2018.

Segment 3: Players 13 to 18 = 300, Better 19 times in 2018.

Segment 4: Players 19 to 22 = 120, Better 15 times in 2018.
So Yojimbo what you are saying is despite winning on Saturday night our volume and spread of performance
was worse than our disastrous season of 2018.

That is correct Yojimbo there are stats and facts and the numbers don't lie, but I expect our volumes to
improve when we get some key personnel back like JJ and Lipinski and stiffen up our defence with the
inclusion of Lewis Young so Wood and Crozier can assume their normal roles.

What did you think of the game of James Sicily on the weekend ?

Over 900 metres gained is quite staggering and I could see Bevo sending Easton Wood to him to quell his
influence on the game.

Nice chatting, I like the cut of your jib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back