PREVIEW THREAD: Round 2 Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question...if it rains and we are struggling to find room for both Wingard and Scully, maybe we sit Ceglar for a week?

I can’t imagine Scully coming straight in, he would need a stint in the VFL I would have thought.

okl punch the glory be out of sicily. can't stand the shait head. he is ffflllooooggggg!!!! same as greene, though i would be happy if he played for us.
If Greene played for us the MRP would suddenly find all his antics actionable and he would spend most of his time on suspension.

If Greene played for us the MRP would suddenly find all his antics actionable and he would spend most of his time on suspension.
No doubting your true colours, Floridog. That's authentic WB paranoia! :eek:
I like it.
:thumbsu:

Hawthorn are not that good, and we are very capable of beating them right now. People reading too much into their win over Adelaide, who played disgracefully and lost their best interceptor before half time.

The problem that could potentially mess us up is the rain. In case anyone has forgotten, last season we had a great chance to establish our top 8 credentials by beating Adelaide with half their team out. It was pouring rain, but they had no Sloane and no Crouch brothers, so they should've been weak at the stoppages. What transpired was one of the most frustrating and stupid performances ever seen; no matter how wet the conditions were, our players were driven to stick to the gameplan of executing fast, quick handballs all game, only for the ball kept slipping out of everyone's hands. Only managed to score 26 points.

Ahhhh bigfooty never fails to amuse

Dismiss the Hawks great win in SA and the crows were useless while our win was monumental and the swans played really well

Hahahahaha do you people actually see the hypocrisy or is it above you?

50/50 game with hawks as slight fav. Any win interstate is a good win regardless how the oppo play.

I dunno why everyones so worried about hawthorn tbh. Were the better side

How can you say that? Who actually knows who is the better side after one game?

The hawks have the best coach in the league by a street with him they are capable of anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our strength is in the packs - much as it was in the 2016 semi final. They are weaker in that area now than they were with Mitchell, Lewis, hodge and a younger Burgoyne - back then.

On the other hand, the hawks have become even better at retaining the ball once they’ve got it.

I am often astonished - during the last 2 years - how often they defeat sides who appear to be much stronger. To the eye it can appear the opposition is dominating all the major contests but the hawks keep getting simple goals.

the more chaos, the more packs, the more inside contests the better for us.

Short handballs on the inside - long kicks to congested areas -

just don’t let them mark it -

the more crunches, tackles and pressure, the less composure they have, the less they can precision pass and get those easy goals.

That’s my take on it

I can’t imagine Scully coming straight in, he would need a stint in the VFL I would have thought.
A guy on our board (who leaked that Stratton was going to be captain a few weeks before it was announced) has said that Scully will be straight into the senior team this weekend. Wingard won't play until Round 3 though.

A guy on our board (who leaked that Stratton was going to be captain a few weeks before it was announced) has said that Scully will be straight into the senior team this weekend. Wingard won't play until Round 3 though.
Thats a great result for the Dogs. Can't imagine Scully will be match fit. We saw last weekend with Buddy that underdone players don't help

Had a good look last night at the replay Hawks vs Crows and they play a very similar game plan to us just without the midfield dominance.
Their pressure around the ground was pretty high forcing crows to try pinpoint passes that were hard to hit. Thats where most of their turnovers came from.
They also had high inside 50 tackles which made it hard for Crows to exit def 50 cleanly giving Hawks a better chance to score.

For most of the game Hawks were able to create an extra in defence, it being Sicily or sometimes Impey, this meant marking options and clean shots on goals hard for the Crows and rebound opportunities more often for the Hawks.

I paused on the replays of the Hawks goals and a lot of the time they had an extra inside their 50 at the time of scoring. I put it down to the lower work rate of the Crows and the the fact the Hawks were running hard between both 50’s. Pretty much they worked harder to create the loose down back and also the other way sometimes creating an extra up fwd.

Another thing I noticed was they often kicked long out of defence clearing the space that Crows can be dangerous in when in possession, around the wings and middle of ground. With the higher work rate by Hawks’ fwds that had pushed up the ground they were able to sometimes outnumber the Crows defence when those long balls hit the ground once they’d pushed back towards their own goal.

For me, the Hawks are well drilled and implement what’s needed to beat the opposition each week.
They play a style similar to us with high work rate and pressure game. They play a team defence with the help of an extra defender at times and they produce scoring opps with fwd 50 pressure/ tackles.

I think we have the advantage with our stronger midfield and the fact we play a far tougher brand of football ( when we’re on ie last week ) than what Hawks played against last week.

It’ll be a tough hit out for both teams and I’m tipping the first team to blink will lose. Just hope it’s not us.

It will be hard to back up a 68 inside 50s effort considering our average last year was 51.
If we can find a way to be more efficient in attack we should do well. Schache needs to lead hard to shake Frawley who is slowing down because Sicily will surely go to Naughton.

It will be hard to back up a 68 inside 50s effort considering our average last year was 51.
If we can find a way to be more efficient in attack we should do well. Schache needs to lead hard to shake Frawley who is slowing down because Sicily will surely go to Naughton.

Yeah, agree. We had repeat entries last week due to swans not handling our def set up and bad decision making.
Once they started running and linking up the repeat entries stopped.
Can’t see the Hawks making the same mistakes. You’re right about the fwd efficiency, it’ll need to be higher if the Hawks can do a better job exiting def 50.

Bulldogs Versus Sydney (Round 4 2018) 7 point loss:

Players 1 to 6- 638
Players 7 to 12- 468
Players 13 to 18- 372
Players 19 to 22- 203

Bulldogs Versus Sydney (Round 1 2019) 17 point win:

Players 1 to 6- 600
Players 7 to 12- 451
Players 13 to 18- 300
Players 19 to 22- 120

Sydney were the easiest game of the year, people.
Keep your eyes on your fries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back