PREVIEW THREAD: Round 2 Vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we still should beat them up in the midfield withoit Mitchell
As alluded to above, they may well plan for it.
Clarkson would know Bevo well (and vice versa) and if we go small in the backline again I'm sure Clarko has a plan to exploit it.

Apologies for the intrusion fellas. Just thought I'd add some context around this, whilst only a small sample size (8 games I believe), after Ceglar returned from his ACL last year he averaged more goals per game as a ruck than any other ruck in the comp. He did a chunk of this whilst playing as the first ruck when McEvoy went down with the broken cheek bone as well, and not as a resting forward ruck.

I doubt we'd back in 2 ruckman to play week in week out if both weren't able to contribute up forward. In saying that Ceglar didn't hit the scoreboard last week against Adelaide.

Good luck on the weekend and lets hope there are no injuries.
All good, from the eyeball test I see McEvoy as having some real presence forward and he's in the top 3 players in AFL history for goal kicking accuracy (minimum 50 goals)

Segmentation a look in the rear view mirror.

Segment 1: Players 1 to 6 = 600, Better 16 times in 2018.

Segment 2: Players 7 to 12 = 451, Better 11 times in 2018.

Segment 3: Players 13 to 18 = 300, Better 19 times in 2018.

Segment 4: Players 19 to 22 = 120, Better 15 times in 2018.

As alluded to above, they may well plan for it.
Clarkson would know Bevo well (and vice versa) and if we go small in the backline again I'm sure Clarko has a plan to exploit it.
Tactics and planning will be fascinating to dissect in hindsigbt.
Left field Im saying we send Naughts back fron the get go and tag sicily...with gowers.

Worse Hawthorn teams than this on have made us look easybeats. They pressure teams into mistakes, then cut them apart with movement and accurate delivery. It doesn't look like a complex gameplan, I think the key is in the execution. We need to bring our own heat manic pressure.

Sunday arvo at the G, one of my favourite times & places in the world. I've never sat in the seat I watched the GF in again. I might stay behind after to bring back some golden memories.

Anyone else watch Hawthorn play on the weekend and worried that the way they set up is specifically to counter being beaten in the midfield?

If we’re going to win this it won’t be just by overwhelming them in the midfield. We’ll need our mid/fwd connection to be functioning like it did at its best moments against Sydney.

If we win the midfield but the result is rushed kicks inside 50 or missed connections, we’ll have more trouble overcoming that than we would against any other non-top 4 side.

IMO no way can Dickson come out and we can’t afford to bring Trengove in at the expense of a non-KPD.

I rate our midfield much higher than the Crows so we shall see. We need to play to our strengths.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember going to a game v hawks 2011ish cant remember exactly. Sam Reid was still in the RW&B.
We got murdered by uncontested possossions against. It was f@#%i g dismal.
Pretty sure Cooney the muppet played the loyalty card (poor attendance because people were sick of watching the shit he and others dished up) tbat day while going at 11% by foot and other shit happened.
One day I want us to dismantle them in the same fashion. Sunday would be good....

Surely no need for another tall defender. Cordy goes to Roughead and Wood to Gunston. Need someone to do a job on Breust - maybe Duryea??

It does which is why it came with the left field rider. Would put the heat on the midfield to not only dominate but score also.
Granted its probably unlikely and Im not even sure im advocating it.
More that as a cat and mouse, master and apprentice proposition with Bevo and Clarkson, this one shapes as a doozy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember going to a game v hawks 2011ish cant remember exactly. Sam Reid was still in the RW&B.
Pretty sure Cooney the muppet played the loyalty card (poor attendance because people were sick of watching the shit he and others dished up) tbat day while going at 11% by foot and other shit happened.
One day I want us to dismantle them in the same fashion. Sunday would be good....

2016 Finals wasn’t too bad!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember a Hawks game when we were nearly 100 points up at half time. That one was fun.

I remember a Hawks game when we were nearly 100 points up at half time. That one was fun.
Yeah went to that one too. 2009??? They had a hangover then, we were just shite in 11 and were for another 3 years.
16 finals was great, 16 round 2 or 3 bobs acl.
Dunno where Im going with this. Just a feeling that if we've been clinically dismantled its usually been by Hawthorn. Weve beaten them now and then over the years, and sometimes convincingly, but not sure we've ever subjected them to the sort of ruthless deconstrucion and dismemberment that theyve inflicted on us from time to time..

Yeah went to that one too. 2009??? They had a hangover then, we were just shite in 11 and were for another 3 years.
16 finals was great, 16 round 2 or 3 bobs acl.
Dunno where Im going with this. Just a feeling that if we've been clinically dismantled its usually been by Hawthorn. Weve beaten them now and then over the years, and sometimes convincingly, but not sure we've ever subjected them to the sort of ruthless deconstrucion and dismemberment that theyve inflicted on us from time to time..

They may well chop us up but I’m not convinced they are much good yet. I’m not convinced we are any good either though so this is an interesting game.

Apologies for the intrusion fellas. Just thought I'd add some context around this, whilst only a small sample size (8 games I believe), after Ceglar returned from his ACL last year he averaged more goals per game as a ruck than any other ruck in the comp. He did a chunk of this whilst playing as the first ruck when McEvoy went down with the broken cheek bone as well, and not as a resting forward ruck.

I doubt we'd back in 2 ruckman to play week in week out if both weren't able to contribute up forward. In saying that Ceglar didn't hit the scoreboard last week against Adelaide.

Good luck on the weekend and lets hope there are no injuries.

If it rains will you still play two rucks?

Good question...if it rains and we are struggling to find room for both Wingard and Scully, maybe we sit Ceglar for a week?

All good, from the eyeball test I see McEvoy as having some real presence forward and he's in the top 3 players in AFL history for goal kicking accuracy (minimum 50 goals)

Thats an interesting stat. No wonder i always feel confident when he's lining up. looking forward to this weeks game. Both sides have their doubters and are in a bit of transition, exciting to see them go head to head and see how it goes down.

I reckon we will. The option for a ruck chop out would be Tim O'Brien who'd have to play back and i think we're pretty happy with the back six as it stands.

only other option i could see would be Connor Nash who'd probably be annihilated and may make way for Scully or someone else anyway

Definitely an intriguing match coming up, looking how the numbers from last week, I can see us nearly mirroring Crows stats (more disposals, cont poss, clearances, inside 50s) and also experiencing the same fate. All about being clinical and efficient when we create the inside 50 opportunities, if not their back six will carve us up and as most have said on here, we dont have the cattle to stop their counter gameplan.

If we get up, it will be another nail biter, if they get up I think they do it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back