Primus gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Harvey? Surprised he hasn't been mentioned much. Surely he could do alright? It is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment (just like Neeld and the Melbourne job).
That would be a massive step backwards. Primus is twice the coach Harvey is.

Scott Burns name will get a massive run I reckon.

Robert Harvey has aspirations to be a senior coach, not convinced he is senior coaching material, but he'll probably throw his hat in the ring.

Sure he couldn't coach.....but they are the laziest group of players in the comp.

A lot of the players should thinking about their responsibility in this. Whoever comes in would do well to cull as many of the.players as he can and shake up the list.

the problem with that is who will they replace them with ? its ok to opt for the youth policy but port are not only struggling onfield but off field as well, with sponsorship dollars very hard to come by for them. the last thing they need is to make it clear they are rebuilding and headed for more years down the bottom of the ladder.

I don't think this is fair on Primus at all. Yes they lost to the two new teams but that shouldn't disregard the fact they beat teams like Carlton, St Kilda and had a fantastic comeback against North Melbourne. There's a lot to like about the way he coaches but he just needs more time.
Removing him won't solve anything.. they need to fix most of the administration before sacking the coach. Port will just go further downhill, I feel bad for the supporters.

the problem with that is who will they replace them with ? its ok to opt for the youth policy but port are not only struggling onfield but off field as well, with sponsorship dollars very hard to come by for them. the last thing they need is to make it clear they are rebuilding and headed for more years down the bottom of the ladder.

My club did this in Hardwicks first year, cut something like 13 players in his first year, and went deep into the draft, taking players such as Ben Nason and Webberley at picks 70+ and others such as Relton Roberts and a bunch of other rookies.

I know Nason got de-listed and a few others will as well, but the point is that you can't keep playing the same players who are getting you nowhere, cut who see is not up to it and give the new kids a chance, Ports list is just trash, they need a deep deep culling of the list.

Feel for Primus. The board clearly has delusions of granduer. They've improved on last year, losing to GWS is embarrassing but it was going to happen sometime. This smacks of a massive over reaction.

2 effing years! No FD spend, recruiting & it would seem he was hamstrung on list mgmt issues too.

Disgusted with the media, they smelt blood in the water & circled like hungry sharks, the idiotic Port board didn't let them down & their handling of the media through this has been piss poor. It would seem their CEO's position is almost untenable too, reports suggest he was to present to the board that MP was the man to lead the club forward with a beefed up FD. Looks like Keith Thomas could be the next victim.

I really feel for Port fans, it's miserable when pathetic admin ruins your football club & you feel utterly helpless to stop it. Not to mention when the players play with little to no passion week in, week out.

I don't wish to troll but I don't know if Port will get the quality replacement they're after... The board has sacked a rookie coach & club legend 5 minutes into his tenure because they expected him to make chicken salad out of their chicken shit. It smells of a rabble, you'd have to wonder about the campaigner who would want that job.

The next bloke to walk through the door at Alberton needs to be given license to cull the list, surround himself with top notch assistant coaches, beefed up recruiting dept & be given a 3 year contract to try & turn this mess around.

I don't think this is fair on Primus at all. Yes they lost to the two new teams but that shouldn't disregard the fact they beat teams like Carlton, St Kilda and had a fantastic comeback against North Melbourne. There's a lot to like about the way he coaches but he just needs more time.
Removing him won't solve anything.. they need to fix most of the administration before sacking the coach. Port will just go further downhill, I feel bad for the supporters.

Yeah I think it's harsh to sack Primus after just one bad loss, I know losing to a new team like GWS isn't good and is embarrassing for them but Port have improved on last year and had wins against some pretty good teams. They were competitive up until the last couple of weeks.

I don't see the point in clubs sacking a coach with only a few games left in the season, just seems like grandstanding to keep supporters and the media vultures happy. Why can't they be left to just coach out the year with some dignity still intact.

Are Port supporters that upset with Primus that they couldn't tolerate him coaching out the season? It's not like he's an outsider either, he is a Port legend so surely he would still be owed some respect from their supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel for Primus. The board clearly has delusions of granduer. They've improved on last year, losing to GWS is embarrassing but it was going to happen sometime. This smacks of a massive over reaction.

2 effing years! No FD spend, recruiting & it would seem he was hamstrung on list mgmt issues too.

Disgusted with the media, they smelt blood in the water & circled like hungry sharks, the idiotic Port board didn't let them down & their handling of the media through this has been piss poor. It would seem their CEO's position is almost untenable too, reports suggest he was to present to the board that MP was the man to lead the club forward with a beefed up FD. Looks like Keith Thomas could be the next victim.

I really feel for Port fans, it's miserable when pathetic admin ruins your football club & you feel utterly helpless to stop it. Not to mention when the players play with little to no passion week in, week out.

I don't wish to troll but I don't know if Port will get the quality replacement they're after... The board has sacked a rookie coach & club legend 5 minutes into his tenure because they expected him to make chicken salad out of their chicken shit. It smells of a rabble, you'd have to wonder about the silly who would want that job.

The next bloke to walk through the door at Alberton needs to be given license to cull the list, surround himself with top notch assistant coaches, beefed up recruiting dept & be given a 3 year contract to try & turn this mess around.

And if they could afford to this would be a good strategy.

I'm not under the illusion that Port are sitting on a goldmine. However, surely they to break the cycle of living off pocket lint & sacking coaches for it?
its been suggested (on here at least) that they move to adelaide oval early to attempt to re-energise their brand and get more supporters through the gates, not a bad idea imo

Spot on. Very early call to make on a coach that has had so little time and resources.

Absolutely. But its about power. Primus tried to wield some and failed. Had no respect from that moment onwards.

Doesn't help when Peter Rohde - he of the 2003 wooden spoon and the Veale Deal - signed him to a 3-year deal while the search for Williams' replacement was ongoing.

I'm not under the illusion that Port are sitting on a goldmine. However, surely they to break the cycle of living off pocket lint & sacking coaches for it?
Someone like a Laidley would be a handy get with a view to setup a succession plan with another coach. He has experience coaching under-funded teams and pushing average players. He wouldn't win you a premiership, that's what the successor coach would be for, but he'd help guide the side though the turmoil.

Considering he was with Port and wanted to escape back to Melbourne, it would never happen though.

Someone like a Laidley would be a handy get with a view to setup a succession plan with another coach. He has experience coaching under-funded teams and pushing average players. He wouldn't win you a premiership, that's what the successor coach would be for, but he'd help guide the side though the turmoil.

Considering he was with Port and wanted to escape back to Melbourne, it would never happen though.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

Would love to give Gary Ayres his long overdue/deserved third tilt at it.

Despite failing twice already?

Depends on how you define failure.

Elite player. 54% career win-loss record and 6 finals campaigns out of 9 and a half at AFL level, has since done some wonderful things at Port Melbourne including an undefeated season last year.

Could do far worse on the budget we're on, would shake the place up and have every individual playing the right way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Primus gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back