Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

I am jsut sick of the, another form of sport has it so can't..

What about the Wests Tigers and Richmond Tigers, does anyone really give two craps that they have the same name?

I like Redbacks
, so who cares that it's a name for a cricket team?

Same goes for sharks.

What color is the back of the Swans jersey?

West Sydney Warriors.

i find it odd while most SANFL teams have common mascots & colours that no-one ever snapped up the Green and Gold.

you cant rule out team names because other codes use them, unless ofcourse they are from the same area (eg you cant have gold coast titans playing in the afl as well as nrl)

West Sydney Warriors.

i find it odd while most SANFL teams have common mascots & colours that no-one ever snapped up the Green and Gold.

you cant rule out team names because other codes use them, unless ofcourse they are from the same area (eg you cant have gold coast titans playing in the afl as well as nrl)

The problem is confusing the brand - and also copyright issues.

Did you know the Los Angeles Lakers were able to sue the South Melbourne Lakers (NSL Soccer Club) to stop them using that name? Even though South Melbourne played out of a stadium next to a Lake, and the only reasons they're called the LA Lakers is because they used to be next to a lake in Upstate New York!

How crazy is that! Different sports, other side of the world - and yet copyright reached right in.

With the way things are now, blatantly copying the nickname of an already established club would be a little short-sighted given the possible legal issues that may arise. Best just to be original.

Legacy clubs, like Richmond Tigers and (werribee Tigers for that matter) and Balmain/Wests Tigers keep their names because they've had them for decades and they've been known as them from long before any of these issues came up. Its accepted. With new teams, it ain't as accepted.

So you dont like AFL, and you dont like gay's, and therefore your little brain somehow conjures up a connection.

Perhaps you dont like AFL because you are a little scared of it taking over RL, and perhaps you dont like gays because you're a little scared you might be one.

Pwnt

Here there the name I would like them to use for the 2nd Sydney team ........ WEST SYDNEY....LINX as in Centrelink as this is were most of their supporter base would get their pay from and they could also use Centrelinks colors of Orange and Green
p.s the LINX is a cat

I think there is some method in your madness. Replace the cat with a chain link, replace the centrelink colours with sky blue for NSW, black for Blacktown, and yellow because it looks nice with the other two colours, and you may have something like this:

20pon84.jpg

The problem is confusing the brand - and also copyright issues.

Did you know the Los Angeles Lakers were able to sue the South Melbourne Lakers (NSL Soccer Club) to stop them using that name? Even though South Melbourne played out of a stadium next to a Lake, and the only reasons they're called the LA Lakers is because they used to be next to a lake in Upstate New York!

you make a good point only to let yourself down with factual errors.
Minneapolis is in Minnesota not upstate New York.

as for the leagcy clubs & their nicknames....most of those nicknames developed from the supporters after the clubs had been around for a few years not from the marketing gurus choosing the names before the clubs were established. Melbourne didn't become the Demons until they had been around for almost 80 years. Likewise Hawthorn became the Hawks in the 1950s Geelong weren't the Cats until the 1930s and Essendon were only the Bombers from about the Second World War

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to love the PIONEERS. No team in the world has it, so it would be really unique.

It's similiar to the New England Patriots in the NFL in a way. But the PIONEERS has so much to do with Sydney's history with the whole captain cook expidition pulling into the harbour thing, don't you agree.

It sounds great too, as well as not being another animal name for an AFL team.

Sydney's history, what about the Northern Territory? With the CEO of the AFL making one years pay over 1 million. If they can afford to overpay that clown surely some of their pocket money could start a NT "kick everyones arse team". Maybe that's why.
NT Dingoe's ate my AFL :)

that mcdermott bloke on the back of the sunday sport in the sunday mail had

Southport sharks and the possible recruiting of nick riewoldt as this was where he grew up and also ben cousins.haha.

and the western sydney team was the blacktown bears didnt state the possible recruits but im sure ben cousins wud be took into consideration as he has no ties with the gold coast. he would fit in well with the western sydney lifestyle:D

Southport Sharks is good,

but I highly doubt Brisbane would want someone to have the Bears name, they will kick up a stink.

Gold Coast Dolphins wont work. The GC NRL side was going to be called the Dolphins but the Redcliffe Dolphins in the QRL threatened to sue because they have NRL ambitions. As McCrann said they could stop the GC AFL side from adopting that name. Even they couldn't there would be too much bad will against the GC AFL side if they were going to be called the Dolphins, which is the last thing they need.

West Sydney Eels :rolleyes:

Gold Coast Dolphins wont work. The GC NRL side was going to be called the Dolphins but the Redcliffe Dolphins in the QRL threatened to sue because they have NRL ambitions. As McCrann said they could stop the GC AFL side from adopting that name. Even they couldn't there would be too much bad will against the GC AFL side if they were going to be called the Dolphins, which is the last thing they need.

West Sydney Eels :rolleyes:

Dolphins is an extremely poor name for a football team :thumbsdown:
Yeah, that goes for Miami, too :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back