Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd go for Seals, and play up the association with seaworld.

West Sydney Pioneers.

Unique and no team in the world has it. So lets stop going for names that are already taken in Australia especially.

Warriors- NO
Wolves- NO
Redbacks- NO

West Sydney Pioneers.

Unique and no team in the world has it. So lets stop going for names that are already taken in Australia especially.

Warriors- NO
Wolves- NO
Redbacks- NO

For seals, I was talking Gold Coast. I agree with you on the Warriors, Wolves, and Red Backs though. Red backs is especially bad because no sponsor would want to be associated with a spider. Sponsors are quite an important consideration. A good example was Parramatta trying to merge with Balmain to get the Tigers logo, because sponsors don't like the Eel.

I am not sure about Pioneers. Personally I have no problem with it, but knowing Sydney there would be lots of people who would. They would associate it with anglo-saxons, or Americans heading west on the pairie.

Sydney is pretty diverse. 30 per cent of the population are migrants, and I'd say these people would be the ones least likely to be rusted on to rugby league so the best ones to target. You need a name that will appeal to them, which is not easy because they are so diverse. That is the advantage of an abstract name.

The best one I've heard so far is 'links.' It is very abstract, but it also feeds into what many migrants want from sport - community linkage. They don't want to assimilate to Australian culture, or lose their own culture, but they do want some kind of connection to to their new land and fellow residents. Football can provide that.

It is also a name that is timeless. Whether you are the first link in the chain, or the fifth link, there is still a certain appeal.

West Sydney Pioneers.

Warriors- NO
Wolves- NO
Redbacks- NO

Get over the Pioneers. There's a footy club in Alice Springs that's had that name for many years. Personally, it belongs in the 1800s.

For seals, I was talking Gold Coast. I agree with you on the Warriors, Wolves, and Red Backs though. Red backs is especially bad because no sponsor would want to be associated with a spider. Sponsors are quite an important consideration. A good example was Parramatta trying to merge with Balmain to get the Tigers logo, because sponsors don't like the Eel.

Prove all that, prove Red Backs are unwanted, seems to be good enough for the SA Cricket side.

Not everyone is scared of spiders.

And as for your Eels comment, I'd like some proof for that as well seeing as the only person who wanted the Tigers emblem was Dennis the menace Fitzgerald, the Eels have been known with that name for half a century, Parramatta in Aboriginal means, "Where eels lie down".

So the name stays, the eels have no problem with sponsorship, and it's a proud Australian name unique around the world for Top flite football.

More Aussie than Bulldogs, Lions, Bombers, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Cats, Panthers, Bears, Titans, Dragons, Tigers, Cowboys, Broncos, Saints, Jets, Victory, Power and most other names Aussie sports teams have.

The only other names that come within a whisker out here for Aussie names are, Australian Kangaroos, North Mel Kangaroos, Western Suburbs Magpies, Collingwood Magpies, Cronulla sharks, Mel Demons, Sydney swans, Manly Sea Eagles, WC Eagles, Adelaide Crows.

Prove all that, prove Red Backs are unwanted, seems to be good enough for the SA Cricket side.

Not everyone is scared of spiders.

And as for your Eels comment, I'd like some proof for that as well seeing as the only person who wanted the Tigers emblem was Dennis the menace Fitzgerald, the Eels have been known with that name for half a century, Parramatta in Aboriginal means, "Where eels lie down".

So the name stays, the eels have no problem with sponsorship, and it's a proud Australian name unique around the world for Top flite football.

More Aussie than Bulldogs, Lions, Bombers, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Cats, Panthers, Bears, Titans, Dragons, Tigers, Cowboys, Broncos, Saints, Jets, Victory, Power and most other names Aussie sports teams have.

The only other names that come within a whisker out here for Aussie names are, Australian Kangaroos, North Mel Kangaroos, Western Suburbs Magpies, Collingwood Magpies, Cronulla sharks, Mel Demons, Sydney swans, Manly Sea Eagles, WC Eagles, Adelaide Crows.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eels. They were my first rugby league team when I was five years old. I also agree that it is good to have a name associated with the local area.

Unfortunately, sponsors have certain images that they try to cultivate and they prefer certain types of logos to build those images. The Tiger is very popular because it fits that "agressive" manta that business leaders love so much. In some ways it is sad that you must design logos with sponsors in mind, but that just is the way it is these days.

genghiskhan, you're a sensible BF poster and I admire what you did for the Mongols in 1206. But "Links"? C'mon! :mad:

Yeah, with the mongols we did well by crushing all dissent, but creating a new order that was inclusive. Then my boys got soft and the empire fell apart.

Anyway, we are never going to find a name that everyone likes. Sydney is too diverse for that. The quest is to find a name that is the least offensive. That is where these abstract come in. I used to think the Force is Perth was pretty stupid, but they seem to be making money with it. Likewise, I never liked Knicks, Jazz, Pistons etc, but again, if it is successful then I shouldn't be knocking them.

What about:
Gold Coast Heat
It could be both a reference to the weather in Queensland, and to the pace in which the team is (hopefully) expected to perform.

Not a bad name, but I think there is an American sporting team called Miami Heat and they would probably sue to stop the use.

That's right, the Miami Heat in the NBL.
Back in the mid 90's American sporting teams threatened to sue various teams from all over the world for using "their" nicknames. The LA Lakers wanted to sue the South Melbourne Lakers (as they were then known) in the old NSL, and it was one of the reasons why they reverted back to their "Hellas" nickname.
I also think the St Louis Saints of the NFL wanted to sue St Kilda, and Southampton in the EPL for using the same name.
I believe that all attempts to sue were thrown out due to their frivolous nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in the mid 90's American sporting teams threatened to sue various teams from all over the world for using "their" nicknames. The LA Lakers wanted to sue the South Melbourne Lakers (as they were then known) in the old NSL, and it was one of the reasons why they reverted back to their "Hellas" nickname.
I also think the St Louis Saints of the NFL wanted to sue St Kilda, and Southampton in the EPL for using the same name.
I believe that all attempts to sue were thrown out due to their frivolous nature.

I think the Townsville Crocodiles used to be called the "suns" but had to change due to the threat. There was also the South Melbourne Lakers. I think it is fair enough. I don't have much sympathy for mimics who lack the imagination or confidence to create their own names. If anything, I wish there was more suing to stop this king of mimimcry and insecurity.

Then imagine all the lawsuits the NRL teams would have on their hands!

Cowboys - Dallas Cowboys
Titans- Tennessee Titans
Broncos- Denver Broncos
Panthers- Carolina Panthers
Raiders- Oakland Raiders

What a rip off of the NFL. Not to metion pushing Monday night football as game of the week, cheerleaders and didn't players receive premiership medallions just a few years ago whilst these day's they get championship rings. C'mon that's just lame.

Cowboys - Dallas Cowboys
Titans- Tennessee Titans
Broncos- Denver Broncos
Raiders- Oakland Raiders

What a rip off of the NFL. Not to metion pushing Monday night football as game of the week, cheerleaders and didn't players receive premiership medallions just a few years ago whilst these day's they get championship rings. C'mon that's just lame.

Yeah. Personally I find it a bit embrassing. I've been living in China for a few years and got annoyed at the Chinese reluctance to be creative. instead, they just copy everything. Then I realise that Australia is almost as bad. These names are especially bad because there are Australian alternatives.

stockman = cowboy
brumbies - similar to broncos
Raiders = No exact equivalent but if you wanted a name based on theft or pillage you could have gone for bushrangers

Gold Coast Pirates
West Sydney Cyclones

In regards to cyclones, I like the idea of Sydney residents making a public statement that they are more intelligent than Wellington residents as they know Hurricans do not occur in the South Pacific. Even so, naming a team after a storm has already been done before and involves too much mimimcry for my liking.

In regards to cyclones, I like the idea of Sydney residents making a public statement that they are more intelligent than Wellington residents as they know Hurricans do not occur in the South Pacific. Even so, naming a team after a storm has already been done before and involves too much mimimcry for my liking.
Thats fair enough, but i like the pirates nickname though, has a nice ring to IMO

but also going by that logic how many tigers u seen roaming the aussie landscape? As long as a name sounds good and is marketable thats all that should count

but also going by that logic how many tigers u seen roaming the aussie landscape? As long as a name sounds good and is marketable thats all that should count

The Tigers are definately a successful name, and that is indeed what is what is most important. The use of the Tiger doesn't really bother me; however, because the teams in Australia that uses Tigers didn't first go on a fact finding mission to America see the Tiger in use, and decide to copy. To the contrary, they were the leaders.

Ultimately, there are two possible things which you would look for in a name.

1) Agression and power. You could get this by naming yourself after an aggressive and powerful animal.

2) Sense of community. You could get this by naming the team after something associated with the area.

The Tigers are definately a successful name, and that is indeed what is what is most important. The use of the Tiger doesn't really bother me; however, because the teams in Australia that uses Tigers didn't first go on a fact finding mission to America see the Tiger in use, and decide to copy. To the contrary, they were the leaders.

Ultimately, there are two possible things which you would look for in a name.

1) Agression and power. You could get this by naming yourself after an aggressive and powerful animal.

2) Sense of community. You could get this by naming the team after something associated with the area.
I agree I think an aggressive name whether it b animals, phenomenon, etc are always popular. With w/sydney its too damn hard to come up with a name that has a sense of community that will also sell merchandise.
P.S And no the pioneers dont count

I thought I'd give this a go. How about West Sydney Vampires (the Vamps). Colours Black, Orange and Mauve. would be a good contrast to Red and White in a crosstown rivalry.

Ahh, you may want to check some of your facts there.

The baseball team (and the former NFL team) were both called the St. Louis Cardinals. Then you have another former NFL team called the St. Louis Browns, and now you have the St. Louis Rams and St. Louis Blues in the NHL.

No Saints teams there, not that I recall anyway.

Cowboys - Dallas Cowboys
Titans- Tennessee Titans
Broncos- Denver Broncos
Raiders- Oakland Raiders

Don't dispute that the Cowboys are an obvious rip-off. Titans, quite obvious - although they did have the precedent of the NBL Team the Victoria Titans that had they still been around would no doubt have stopped the re-use of that name. Broncos are an obvious rip as well, as are the Raiders.

But I have to pull you up on the Carolina Panthers!

Carolina Panthers have only been in the NFL for 5 minutes! Since 1995 I believe!

You can hardly accuse Penrith of ripping their name when Penrith have been active at the top level since 1967, and were no doubt around in some form before then! Don't know when they got their nickname, but I know it was well before Carolina were even a twinkle in anybody's eye!

Just for the record, I'm fairly sure that my own club has at least the 2nd oldest nickname in Australian sport - the Saints. Just behind the Blues I'm guessing.

Can anybody confirm or refute that?

Carlton (Blues since 1864)
St. Kilda (Saints since 1873)

Melbourne (Demons since when? Weren't they the Fuchsias for awhile?)
Geelong (Cats since when? Weren't they the Pivotonians for awhile?)
Fitzroy (Used to be the Gorillas)
Collingwood (Started only in 1892)
South Melbourne (Bloods for awhile, when did the Swan come along? Probably about the time Albert Park Lake was built I'm guessing)
Essendon (Bombers post WWII)

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back