Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad

They won't be the Waratahs. Regardless of legalities, Sydney people would be
too ignorant to understand that it was originally the name of an
Aussie Rules football that played in Sydney and in fact RU stole the name .

:mad:

And they can have it. You just cant name footy teams after flowers. Its not right. And the abreviated 'tahs is even worse.

And they can have it. You just cant name footy teams after flowers. Its not right. And the abreviated 'tahs is even worse.

:D

south-africa-cricket-board-logo.gif
waratahs.jpg

There is no AFL team called the GC Dolphins so it can be used .

Trademarks are registered in classes relating to sport, not relating to types of football codes.

The Dolphins have ambitions to get into the NRL and if they got into the NRL, the Gold Coast AFL team would be a competitor. They would most definately stop the AFL from using it. Even if they don't get into the NRL, any other sporting team, in any code, is still a competitor.

Trademarks are registered in classes relating to sport, not relating to types of football codes.

The Dolphins have ambitions to get into the NRL and if they got into the NRL, the Gold Coast AFL team would be a competitor. They would most definately stop the AFL from using it. Even if they don't get into the NRL, any other sporting team, in any code, is still a competitor.

There was also a baseball team in the now defunct Australian Baseball League (ABL); in the early 1990's called The 'Daikyo Dolphins' (later became The 'Gold Coast Dolphins'.) This club was a bit of a financial basket case.

Usually in sports that are franchised (like the AFL has sadly become); they tend to avoid any nickname that could be associated with defunct teams, especially ones that were financially dubious and/or unsuccessful. This normally applies to different sporting codes as well because they prefer to avoid any possible future slurs on the new club.

Absolutely . It depends on the name .
The "GC Dolpins" are different to the "Dolphins"
Fremantle AFC has to be called the "Fremantle Dockers" not the "Dockers"
in any official presentation .

No. The Recliffe Dolphins was different name to the Gold Coast Dolphins that wanted to enter the NRL. It wasn't the NRL that said that the Titans couldn't use the Dolphin's name, it was the threat of leal action from Redcliffe that persuaded the change.

All it needs to be is similar to existing and a case can be made that the existing business will suffer damage as a result.

No
And so the the GC Dophins AFC is available .

:eek:

Well, this why lawyers exist. Since you obviously know something about the law, you will be looking for some kind of precedent to predict how things would go. From history, we can see that the Redcliffe Dolphins have prevented the Gold Coast NRL team using the name. Admitedly, a court case was never necessary but there is probaly a message in that.

Well the NFL have the Patriots, Redskins, Yankees, Indians, Cowboys and Chiefs and they don't have any problems so I don't know what your talking about. You don't not follow the Kansas City Chiefs if that's your team because your a redneck American do you. It is an Australian club isn't it, or are we just siuting this team name to New Australians and Aboriginies? And what does it matter that if the Swans have been there for 30 years. Pioneers relates to the City and it's rich History unlike the cougars which has nothing to do with the Sydney. It works for the New England Patriots! So your saying that the Patriots wouldn't have one supporter that isn't a pure yank. You can't be serious. You would think the Dallas Cowboys would be a Redneck side despite the entire team being BLACK! The time's they are a Changin.

Great another Cat!

Lions
Tigers
Cats
and now the Cougars?
Why not?

We have alot of birds already.

Ie Eagles, Swans, Magpies, Hawks, It would even it up just a tad.

I think the West Sydney Cougars sounds ok, But I think the West Sydney Panthers would sound better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Sydney Panthers would be a great name. Theres been myths and the occasional dubious sighting of a big black cat in the blue mountains surrounding sydney's west for many decades.

Sadly, thats exactly why the Penrith NRL team are called the Panthers. No chances whatsoever they'd let an AFL team set up on their turf using the same name. I think they'd put up a pretty serious legal fight if the AFL team called themselves something so obviously close to panthers as 'cougars' too.

Yes ,

And so the the GC Dophins AFC is available .

:)

Maybe you are talking about company names, not trademarks. But again, you need to use some precedent here. I believe the Brisbane-Fitzroy Lions Football club (or whatever its trading name is) had to give the Brisbane Lions soccer club compensation to use the name even though the names were quite different.

And again, the Redcliffe Dolphins were able to stop the Gold Coast Dolphins from using the name even though the names are obviously quite different.

But this is all very pointless discussion. If the new team is called the Dolphins, and Redcliffe doesn't protest, you can bump this thread and I will humble concede your wisdom was greater than mine. Lets wait and see.

West Sydney Panthers would be a great name. Theres been myths and the occasional dubious sighting of a big black cat in the blue mountains surrounding sydney's west for many decades.

Sadly, thats exactly why the Penrith NRL team are called the Panthers. No chances whatsoever they'd let an AFL team set up on their turf using the same name. I think they'd put up a pretty serious legal fight if the AFL team called themselves something so obviously close to panthers as 'cougars' too.

NO way.

Penrith would not have a leg to stand on in this argument. A cougar is not a panther, doesn't matter how similar it is or otherwise - it simply won't stack up.

Panther means different things to different people apparently, but it can definitely mean cougar.

I wont argue cause I don't know the legal system. I'll just say that if it really can't be legally challenged I am surprised.

This would be like the NRL starting a team in fremantle called the wharfies. It would be blatantly trying to latch on to another teams heritage without their permission.

Panther means different things to different people apparently, but it can definitely mean cougar.

I wont argue cause I don't know the legal system. I'll just say that if it really can't be legally challenged I am surprised.

This would be like the NRL starting a team in fremantle called the wharfies. It would be blatantly trying to latch on to another teams heritage without their permission.

let them.

if they call them the fremantle wharfies, they may have a problem.

However, as long as a possible new AFL team is not called the Penrith Cougars - there won't be a problem.

West Sydney Cougars is sufficiently different. Also, how many different types of big cats are there? Many more than synonyms for dockers.

too.
And there's absolutely no chance of the Penrith Panthers RLFC
objecting to the West Sydney Panthers AFC name .

Just look at the number of companies called "Ace" .
they'll all different .
Trademarks are different , they have to appear different .
That's all . not too hard to do that .

There mighn't be grounds for a legal objection, but I think there's no chance of the new West Sydney club adopting the name of one of the existing Western suburbs rugby league clubs - unless there was some sort of partnership involved. Which isn't impossible, but unlikely, as it would limit the appeal of any new club to the broader Sydney West (just like the soccer clubs attached to Collingwood and Carlton failed to attract any supporters outside those 2 clubs in the 1990's).

The Blacktown Bogons

• guernsey is a flannelette shirt with the sleeves cut off
  • emblem is a big brown moth
  • mullets are mandatory
  • sponsored by Super Cheap Auto.

The Gold Coast Gamblers

• guernsey is a gold lamee vest with matching shorts
  • emblem is a pair of dice
  • sponsored by Jupiters

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Propose A Name

Remove this Banner Ad