Pros and Cons of hosting Soccer World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest "superpower" country in the world, the USA hosted the World Cup in 1994, and are again bidding for this event in 2022. In world cup terms, this is a short time between bids.

Would they, as a country who has experienced this event, bid for it again if it left a bad legacy, economic destruction etc etc?

This whole argument of taxpayer fund waste is a ridiculous smokescreen used by AFL fans that are worried about football..

Let's be real guys seriously....

The USA have the stadiums, and they are vacant at the right time. Right now is the off-season in the NFL. They don't need to build any more, nor do they have to worry about displacing and compensating other codes.

Plus, their bids are self-funded. Sure they get government support (political and diplomatic) but not funding. The UK for example are funding the bid through commercial sponsorship, not taxpayer funds.

Nothing really new here, just the normal rantings.
yeah, nothing new from the afl zealot side of the fence...

Except many of them will not. Basically the whole of Australia will be subsidising entertainment for those who enjoy watching Soccer, a much lesser percentage of the public than that which would enjoy at least some of the aspects of the Olympic games for example.

you honestly beleive that only football fans will go? if thats the case your either deluded or ignorant (possibly both) Obviously football fans would goto some games, but so would general sports fans in general aswell as just event goers. dont forget that david beckhams travelling us circus filled homebush for an 'exhibition', of which around 15-20% of the crowd were event goers. Also remember the circus of media, fans, ect that followed him around (and also follow the socceroos around while they are home) and thats the sort of scenes the world cup would bring.

May recoup a small portion of the costs

So you admit that the influx of tourism opportunites and spending directly linked to both the 2021 confederations cup, and the 2022 world cup would be beneficial? It would go a long way to recouping a significat portion of the costs imo.

Not sure that this will happen unless someone throws a heap more $$$ into the pot.

this is tough to gauge, as it depends on the final choice of cities (possibly 1 or 2 stadiums to be cut) and the infrastructre surrounding those cities.

this includes things such as

highways connecting city to other world cup cities
public transportation
airports, and airport links

an example of 1 such thing could be a high speed train system linking sydney>canberra>melbourne (with a geelong link to?) which would service cities of upto 6 (7 if you count newcaslte) wc venues.

Good cred for those going backpacking in the couple of years afterwoods , but otherwise??? Cmon Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin have put us there before, without COSTING money.

its widely reported that sydney 2000 olympics have painted australians and australia in a positive light, and somewhere around 10-15 % (cant remember the exact %) have returned to australia since then for another visit.

THere are whole threads regarding the white elephants that may be built.

quiet aware of the numerous threads on the cost of big stadiums, and ive said my piece on that issue in them so will keep it brief, multipurpose stadiums are important, almost essential for australia given we have 5 prominant sporting codes in this country. the proposed adelaide and perth venues may be expensive, but are important for the future imo. another point some people around here need to get their heads around OVAL STADIUMS ARE NOT AN ISSUE. there have been countless oval stadia used in recent world cups (rustenburg in 2010) aswell as the 1998, 2002 and 2006 deciders all being played at oval stadiums, so they arnt an issue.

training venues is an issue that has largly gone undiscussed, and before people start pannicking ffa already came out last year and said NO AFL/NRL TRAINING VENEUS WILL BE USED. so thats upgrades to 32 other smaller training bases quiet possibly schools like the socceroos used in 2010.

Once again it seems the soccer supporters think it is OK that the rest of Australia should finance their personal intersts.

its got nothing about my personal interests, its about providing something for australia that everyone can enjoy which all australians will enjoy ....unless your a bitter, delduded or ignorant afl fan on this forum who critises anything that threatens them.

yeah, nothing new from the afl zealot side of the fence...
I think a WC would be OK but not at the expense of everything else.
I certainly do not consider that a world cup should be opposed at any cost.

you honestly beleive that only football fans will go? if thats the case your either deluded or ignorant (possibly both) Obviously football fans would goto some games, but so would general sports fans in general aswell as just event goers. dont forget that david beckhams travelling us circus filled homebush for an 'exhibition', of which around 15-20% of the crowd were event goers. Also remember the circus of media, fans, ect that followed him around (and also follow the socceroos around while they are home) and thats the sort of scenes the world cup would bring.

You are talking about an expense that will affect the whole country.
Consider the Olympics, only a small percentage of the population would have gone, but a huge proportion of the population would have watched various events. It has the opening closing ceremonies that appeal to some people more than the sports. It has a variety of different events that can be taken in, where if it was just a single sport many people would become bored with it and lose interest after a couple of days.

Thats the problem with the WC. People will watch a couple of games and then it's just more of the same.

So you admit that the influx of tourism opportunites and spending directly linked to both the 2021 confederations cup, and the 2022 world cup would be beneficial? It would go a long way to recouping a significat portion of the costs imo.
No it would go some way towards recouping the costs. How many tourists do you expect?

this is tough to gauge, as it depends on the final choice of cities (possibly 1 or 2 stadiums to be cut) and the infrastructre surrounding those cities.

this includes things such as

highways connecting city to other world cup cities
public transportation
airports, and airport links

an example of 1 such thing could be a high speed train system linking sydney>canberra>melbourne (with a geelong link to?) which would service cities of upto 6 (7 if you count newcaslte) wc venues.

If a high speed train system doesn't make sense without the world cup, it doesn't suddenly make sense with one.
If you think it makes sense to build new highways and infrasturcture for the W.C. bid .... how many tourists did you say you expected?
All these things will make the cup bid even more expensive, and you would have to consider them unlikely after the high costs of stadiums hits the fan.

its widely reported that sydney 2000 olympics have painted australians and australia in a positive light, and somewhere around 10-15 % (cant remember the exact %) have returned to australia since then for another visit.
Woo hoo.

quiet aware of the numerous threads on the cost of big stadiums, and ive said my piece on that issue in them so will keep it brief, multipurpose stadiums are important, almost essential for australia given we have 5 prominant sporting codes in this country. the proposed adelaide and perth venues may be expensive, but are important for the future imo. another point some people around here need to get their heads around OVAL STADIUMS ARE NOT AN ISSUE. there have been countless oval stadia used in recent world cups (rustenburg in 2010) aswell as the 1998, 2002 and 2006 deciders all being played at oval stadiums, so they arnt an issue.

training venues is an issue that has largly gone undiscussed, and before people start pannicking ffa already came out last year and said NO AFL/NRL TRAINING VENEUS WILL BE USED. so thats upgrades to 32 other smaller training bases quiet possibly schools like the socceroos used in 2010.

its got nothing about my personal interests, its about providing something for australia that everyone can enjoy which all australians will enjoy ....unless your a bitter, delduded or ignorant afl fan on this forum who critises anything that threatens them.

So all Australians can enjoy watching multiple games of Soccer. I suggest that some form of mass hypnotheropy is required, as my limit seems to be 3 or 4 games and my wife didn't make it through 1 ( Vezuvela headache ).
Pretty sure we arent the only ones. Pretty much reeks of Zealotry - YOU WILL ENJOY IT.

You know what, I don't mind it, but I'd enjoy a rugby 7's world cup more , or hockey world cup just as much.
And all the party in the street stuff doesnt appeal to me ( and I'd speculate a lot of other Australians) all that much now, and i'd say it will be less so in another 10 years.

And all the party in the street stuff doesnt appeal to me ( and I'd speculate a lot of other Australians) all that much now, and i'd say it will be less so in another 10 years.

I agree with that.

If the teens want a party in the street, let them pay for it.

$26 billion seems a lot to pay so that a handful of teens can have a party.

I agree with that.

If the teens want a party in the street, let them pay for it.

$26 billion seems a lot to pay so that a handful of teens can have a party.

Lighten up folks, time to stop mumbling and being so miserable.

Put a smile on your face, I think you need the WC more than you realise so you can get away from the pc and enjoy a community party.

negative negative negative...

Lighten up folks, time to stop mumbling and being so miserable.

Put a smile on your face, I think you need the WC more than you realise so you can get away from the pc and enjoy a community party.

negative negative negative...

I'll organise you a ripper street party for half price. $13 billion OK. :D
For your money you get live entertainment in each capital city, cheap booze (almost bottleshop price ) , hell you can even have Brazilian girls in body paint if you want.

But surely you, as a mad Hawkers fan would name the '89 Grand Final or several others that YOUR team have won. Surely it's not another piece of BS that you are a Hawks fan.

And really we don't have to go too far back to think of a tense , close, tough Grand Final do we? What about last year?

I was at both the 91 & 2008 Grand Finals, both of which were good to watch as a Hawks fan but were poor games (Geelong's kicking for goal in 2008 won us the game, they were worse then an amateur team). I remember laughing hysterically at 2 West Coast players colliding in the 91 Granny chasing a Hawks player. You are right, last year's Granny was a good game - I always do the BBQ and piss up with mates on Grand Final day. In the last 20 years - only the Brisbane - Collingwood game where the Lions won by 9 points (can't remember if it was 01 or 02), both Sydney / West Coast GF's and last year's Granny have resembled good games of footy - all of the rest were ramshackle games, often over before 3 quarter time. Alastair Lynch & co turned the 2004 Granny into a farce.

Too young to have gone to the 89 Granny, you are right, it was a great game. It doesn't have anything on the Euro 2000 final though. Do yourself a favour - watch the entire game, a physical, skillful end to end battle between 2 supremely talented teams. You can't beat the ending where the French wipe the smile off the smug Italians who are already celebrating victory only to be denied in the last 30 seconds. Football at its best is simply better then the best that Aussie Rules can offer. I do agree that Aussie Rules is a better spectacle then the A League in its present form; I do believe that gap will close markedly in the next 20 years.

I'll check it out, thanks for the link. And you say, 15 out of the last 20 grand finals have been snorefests? Where do you get off posting crap like that?

If you call 10 goal plus thrashings, games that are over before three quarter time and footballers mindlessly fighting each other as entertainment, good on you. Collingwood vs Brisbane, Sydney vs West Coast (both 05/06) and last year's Grand Final are the only good Grand Finals in the last 20 years.

He was so keen he used to go to the games regularly back then. All the way from Gippsland if I remember the story correctly.

You betcha mate, all the way from good old Newborough. Went to games at Waverley regularly up until the age of 13, played for Newborough Bulldogs as a full forward until U13's levl. Only got into Soccer thanks to the 1993 World Cup campaign which fascinated me, and also out of curiosity, thanks to the disparaging remarks about soccer from my old U13 teammates. I then switched from playing footy to soccer and haven't looked back since. My old man is a footy fan and my brother is as big of an AFL zealot as any of you blokes on here (apart from the fact he can see the value in having the biggest & best sporting event in the world).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You betcha mate, all the way from good old Newborough. Went to games at Waverley regularly up until the age of 13, played for Newborough Bulldogs as a full forward until U13's levl. Only got into Soccer thanks to the 1993 World Cup campaign which fascinated me, and also out of curiosity, thanks to the disparaging remarks about soccer from my old U13 teammates. I then switched from playing footy to soccer and haven't looked back since. My old man is a footy fan and my brother is as big of an AFL zealot as any of you blokes on here (apart from the fact he can see the value in having the biggest & best sporting event in the world).

Sure thing

Here is what soccer people see as one of the pros:
''It's important to have it here because I see too many rugby league, rugby union and Aussie rules teams..."
Direct quote from Everton manager David Moyes, when asked about Australia's bid to host the World Cup. http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/moyes-pitches-in-on-etihad-surface-20100714-10b94.html
So much for enjoying multiple codes. He just sees it as an opportunity to wipe us out.

That is ridiculous.That quote is very similar to the agenda Johnny Warren pushed in his book. That sums up the majority of soccer zealots. They want soccer to grow at the expense of other sports.
Most football fans want football to grow as an alternative choice to other sports.

Football is a better game and the fans will flock to it.

I was at both the 91 & 2008 Grand Finals, both of which were good to watch as a Hawks fan but were poor games (Geelong's kicking for goal in 2008 won us the game, they were worse then an amateur team). I remember laughing hysterically at 2 West Coast players colliding in the 91 Granny chasing a Hawks player. You are right, last year's Granny was a good game - I always do the BBQ and piss up with mates on Grand Final day. In the last 20 years - only the Brisbane - Collingwood game where the Lions won by 9 points (can't remember if it was 01 or 02), both Sydney / West Coast GF's and last year's Granny have resembled good games of footy - all of the rest were ramshackle games, often over before 3 quarter time. Alastair Lynch & co turned the 2004 Granny into a farce.

Too young to have gone to the 89 Granny, you are right, it was a great game. It doesn't have anything on the Euro 2000 final though. Do yourself a favour - watch the entire game, a physical, skillful end to end battle between 2 supremely talented teams. You can't beat the ending where the French wipe the smile off the smug Italians who are already celebrating victory only to be denied in the last 30 seconds. Football at its best is simply better then the best that Aussie Rules can offer. I do agree that Aussie Rules is a better spectacle then the A League in its present form; I do believe that gap will close markedly in the next 20 years.

Football at its best is infinitely better than ANYTHING that soccer can offer.
Did you watch the Hawks vs Geelong match last weekend? Superb match. Skills abound, physical, close score, and high player intensity. Some players looked dead at half time.

That is ridiculous.That quote is very similar to the agenda Johnny Warren pushed in his book. That sums up the majority of soccer zealots. They want soccer to grow at the expense of other sports.
Most football fans want football to grow as an alternative choice to other sports.

Football is a better game and the fans will flock to it.

Aussie Rules is definitely a better spectacle then the A League we have downunder. Soccer at its best though is clearly far superior to Aussie Rules; the majority of footy fans I know agree this is the case.

That being said, I don't think that Soccer in this country needs to grow at footy's expense; Ireland are a good example, Gaelic football still thrives despite football overtaking it over there. I see Australia in 50 years time with football and Aussie Rules being the dominant codes, with Rugby League miles off in third, possibly behind Union.

Football at its best is infinitely better than ANYTHING that soccer can offer.
Did you watch the Hawks vs Geelong match last weekend? Superb match. Skills abound, physical, close score, and high player intensity. Some players looked dead at half time.

With all due respect, watch a game like Liverpool vs AC Milan in 2005 or Liverpool Vs West Ham in 2006, or Liverpool vs Arsenal last year - AFL is lightyears behind, sorry mate, its the facts and the main reason why more Australians watched the 2002 World Cup final then the 2002 AFL Grand Final.

You really need to get educated on football, have a watch of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3pZRuMaacI

There's nothing AFL offers that remotely comes close to that.

AFL is better then the A League, but when it comes to the best that Soccer can offer, it is light years behind mate. There aren't too many that will disagree with that, even in Australia.

AFL is better then the A League, but when it comes to the best that Soccer can offer, it is light years behind mate. There aren't too many that will disagree with that, even in Australia.

Geez you talk absolute shyte

Sorry mate, add me to the disagreers.

With so many claims about the value of the World Cup to the local economy its interesting to get some real numbers:
Visa spending up 70% during World Cup period
Average daily Visa transactions by international visitors in South Africa - from the start of June until the end of the day of the World Cup final - exceeded £204 million, up 70 per cent compared to the same period in 2009.

The number of transactions from June 1 to July 11 was 2.2 million (55,000 per day on average), up 79 per cent from approximately 1.2 million (30,000 a day on average) during the same 41 days in 2009.

Is that good? ?

Visa spending data indicated the greatest percentage of contributors came from the United States (19.05 per cent), followed by the United Kingdom (19.03 per cent), Australia (4.7 per cent), Brazil (4.2 per cent) and France (3.4 per cent).

Not a lot of interest from Europe?
The USA make up a big number.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/1...e=sbinsl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=july15

video of Zidane holding up the ball, no one putting any pressure on him, passing back to blokes in the back third with no opposition around them, scintillating stuff

let's not even discuss the opposition players kissing each other before the game

With so many claims about the value of the World Cup to the local economy its interesting to get some real numbers:
Visa spending up 70% during World Cup period
Average daily Visa transactions by international visitors in South Africa - from the start of June until the end of the day of the World Cup final - exceeded £204 million, up 70 per cent compared to the same period in 2009.

The number of transactions from June 1 to July 11 was 2.2 million (55,000 per day on average), up 79 per cent from approximately 1.2 million (30,000 a day on average) during the same 41 days in 2009.

Is that good? ?

Visa spending data indicated the greatest percentage of contributors came from the United States (19.05 per cent), followed by the United Kingdom (19.03 per cent), Australia (4.7 per cent), Brazil (4.2 per cent) and France (3.4 per cent).

Not a lot of interest from Europe?
The USA make up a big number.

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/1...e=sbinsl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=july15

To be fair though, its probably broken down to country rather than continent.
There is still around 50% which I guess must be largely made up from various European and South American countries.

Has anyone come up with a figure for how many tourists in total came for the world cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pros and Cons of hosting Soccer World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back