Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I couldn't see a relevant thread to post the following in so I created one. I hope I didn't miss an appropriate thread and if I did, I apologise.

The following was written by John Hanscombe of The Echidna and I hope it prompts people to view what is happening in Australia in a level headed manner. Some will seek to use the tragedies unfolding in the Middle East for political gain by trying to divide and sow discord in Australia.

No place for flags of war at protests for peace

Thursday October 3, 2024

The flags were held aloft as the chants grew louder and angrier. "Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh. The NLF is going to win."

For some who'd joined the march, it caused great discomfort. The National Liberation Front and its guerilla army, the Viet Cong, had a lot of blood on their hands, just as the Americans and the Army of the Republic of South Vietnam did. For those who only wanted peace and were happy to march under the Moratorium or the peace symbols, the appearance of the blue and red VC flag with its yellow star was taking things too far. They were people who knew of the massacre carried out by the Viet Cong when it briefly occupied the city of Hue during the 1968 Tet Offensive, knew of the other atrocities committed in the name of "liberation". They now had second thoughts about joining future demonstrations.

No doubt some who joined recent gatherings to protest the Israeli assault on Lebanon had similar misgivings when they saw Hezbollah flags being held aloft, along with portraits of the slain terrorist leader Hassan Nasrallah. I know I felt uncomfortable seeing them on the TV screen. Not here, I grumbled, not in Australia.

There was anguish the day after, when I found myself almost agreeing with Matt Canavan, who said banning the flag didn't sit well with his understanding of freedom of speech. (Don't worry, a mate reassured me, even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

It's almost a reflex to call for a ban on symbols and flags which offend us. But where does it start? And where does it end?

Nazi gestures and flags are now outlawed across the land. Under federal law, as a symbol of a listed terrorist organisation, the Hezbollah flag is also prohibited. That raises the question of whether we should also ban other flags and symbols. The Israeli flag? The Russian flag? It's a slippery slope.

In 2005, our own Australian flag was hijacked by drunken thugs rioting in Cronulla. For many, it became an ugly symbol of racism and bigotry. All these years later, a ute bedecked in the national flag on Australia Day is a statement of aggressive jingoism, the driver seen by most as a dickhead.

Perhaps that's how we should view these clowns who turn up to demonstrations with Hezbollah flags. Dickheads promoting war when the people around them are calling for peace. We should also remember a very small minority of protestors carried the yellow flags. Six possible offences in Victoria, according to police.

Most Australians are rightly appalled at the violence in the Middle East. The October 7 Hamas atrocity. The retribution on Gaza, with 40,000 lives lost. The bloodshed in the West Bank. The Hezbollah rocket attacks. The retribution visited on Lebanon. The whole endless bloody cycle.

The Hezbollah flag, with its upheld Kalashnikov rifle, symbolises violence. It's long been associated with bombings and assassinations. It does nothing to advance the cause of peace. And its appearance at protest is more likely to deter people than attract them.

Only a dickhead would think it a good idea to wave one around.

it's an interesting and challenging discussion. Last thing we want to do is limit freedom to express concern about government action or non action like the dictatorships run by Xi and Putin.

However we shouldn't accept support of terrorism or treason. Maybe the rule could be:
  • not allowed to wave the banners of or call for support of a prescribed terrorist group (eg. Hamas)
  • not allowed to wave the banners of a country whose forces are in armed conflict with Australia.

So waving the Israeli or Palestinian flag or calling for an end to attacks is fine. Waving Hamas flag bad.

Ukrainian or Russian flag are fine as we are not involved but say a certain big country attacked one of its smaller independent democratic neighbours and we join a coalition to help defend them then waving the flag or supporting the big country should be illegal with severe punishment.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

There should not be Palestinian protests/vigils on October 7. It is distasteful and unnecessary. And a very easy target for the media to exploit.

And despite how ever many assurances organisers give that it will be done tastefully and peacefully you just know someone is going to screw it up by doing something stupid.

There should not be Palestinian protests/vigils on October 7. It is distasteful and unnecessary. And a very easy target for the media to exploit.

And despite how ever many assurances organisers give that it will be done tastefully and peacefully you just know someone is going to screw it up by doing something stupid.
The media doesn't need to exploit anything. The message is loud and clear.

First Hezbollah flags, then planning an Oct 7 protest. These aren't the good guys.

The idea of blocking protests in the courts or needing pre-approval to stage one is so anti-democratic it's not funny. If the protest turns from peaceful to violent, by all means throw the book at them, but the right to protest without approval is the point of the right.

I don't think certain flags and so on should be banned outright. Call them out for what they are - hate flags.

The media doesn't need to exploit anything. The message is loud and clear.

First Hezbollah flags, then planning an Oct 7 protest. These aren't the good guys.
Agree 100%. I saw one of the protest organisers on tv, and she was lying through her teeth saying that these weren't protests supporting the attack, but were about oppression of Palestinians. The evidence she used was that these protests have been going for 52 weeks, not just on the anniversary.

If they had been going for 53 or 54 weeks, or more than that, then it might be believable. The fact that these 'protesters' (terrorist sympathisers???) started the day after 1200 innocents were murdered says it all.

Have to agree.

The same way that the Moira deeming 'woman's march' was just a neo-Nazi rally, because of marching with neo-Nazis.
The same way it means every anti-trans protest is a neo-Nazi rally.
The same way the anti-Andrews protests were all actually violent criminals, because of marching with a noose, and asking where his kids and wife were.
The same way that every 'anti-lockdown/excuse' activist is just an anti-vaxxer QAnon supporter.

It's the same way that all marches that support Palestine are actually Hamas/Hezbollah supporting terrorists anti-Semites, because that one(?) 19(?) year old joined one march with the Hezbollah flag.

At least we are all consistent on this!

The idea of blocking protests in the courts or needing pre-approval to stage one is so anti-democratic it's not funny. If the protest turns from peaceful to violent, by all means throw the book at them, but the right to protest without approval is the point of the right.

I don't think certain flags and so on should be banned outright. Call them out for what they are - hate flags.
I think it's fair to say that most people wouldn't recognise the Hezbollah flag. But it's distinct enough to deserve questions raised by those around you. It isn't a peaceful flag.

And sure call out the flag. But you don't accidentally purchase and march with that kind of flag. A person like that and the groups they are with should be investigated.

Hezbollah are a dangerous terrorist organisation. If you're supporting them or their ideology, you've been radicalised.
We should be concerned that there is any public display of support for them. Because it underlies the private support.

Have to agree.

The same way that the Moira deeming 'woman's march' was just a neo-Nazi rally, because of marching with neo-Nazis.
The same way the anti-Andrews protests were all actually violent criminals, because of marching with a noose, and asking where his kids and wife were.
The same way that every 'anti-lockdown/excuse' activist is just an anti-vaxxer QAnon supporter.

It's the same way that all marches that support Palestine are actually Hamas/Hezbollah supporting terrorists anti-Semites, because that one(?) 19(?) year old joined one march with the Hezbollah flag.

If those protests also commenced the day after the slaughter of 1200 innocents, and the taking of many more hostage, then yes..... Somewhat equivalent.

If those protests also commenced the day after the slaughter of 1200 innocents, and the taking of many more hostage, then yes..... Somewhat equivalent.
Of course, of course.

Just for my clarity. The 'protest organiser on tv' you were talking about, the one with 11 years of advocate work for Palestinians, that the terrorist sympathiser you were talking about?

How long have these people been marching for women's rights? The one's who marched with neo-Nazis?

Well, at least the rest of us are consistent, right? Even if you aren't.

Of course, of course.

Just for my clarity. The 'protest organiser on tv' you were talking about, the one with 11 years of advocate work for Palestinians, that the terrorist sympathiser you were talking about?
I couldn't tell you.

There are probably a few who genuinely cared about the cause.... But they would be a very small minority of those who now fly the Palestine, Hamas or Hezbollah flag.

Most have moved from black lives matter, to #metoo, to the voice, to the Israel/Palestine conflict as a source of being outraged about the opinions of other people, to provide some comfort when they sleep at night that they are morally superior to everyone else.....

I couldn't tell you.
Of course, of course.
That explains why you can make such definitive statements. Your depth of knowledge.

It's not just your pre-existing position on these issues.
:moustache:

Palestine, Hamas or Hezbollah flag.
Basically the same flag, amirite?

Most have moved from black lives matter, to #metoo, to the voice, to the Israel/Palestine conflict as a source of being outraged about the opinions of other people, to provide some comfort when they sleep at night that they are morally superior to everyone else.....

From BLM and MeToo to Hamas and Hezbollah.

I mean. If you pause and rethink your position just for a moment, can you at least see how dishonest and borderline evil it comes across?

Does anyone else?
How ****ed up have we become as Australians, if the majority of us don't see the problem with this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, of course.
That explains why you can make such definitive statements. Your depth of knowledge.

I mean. If you pause and rethink your position just for a moment, can you at least see how dishonest and borderline evil it comes across?

Does anyone else?
How ****ed up have we become as Australians, if the majority of us don't see the problem with this?
Tired old tropes that get wheeled out at every progressive protest which help some rationalise their own indifference.

Of course, of course.

Does anyone else?
She introduced herself as one of the protest organisers.... She didn't give her life history. I didn't feel the need to research her individually, that would be a bit weird actually.

With regard to my statement being dishonest and borderline evil, what are you talking about? What about it was dishonest? How is it evil. It is 100% the truth, even if you don't like it. Left wing social media users have become sycophants for 'issues de jour'. Move on to the next shiny moral outrage when it gets enough media attention.... Rinse, repeat!

Have to agree.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen those arguments trotted out here by progressives...so yes, we are consistent!

If you're marching with haters of Jews and people carrying Hezbollah flags, you're guilty by association just as much as anyone marching with Nazis. Protesting on October 7 would be a massive slap in the face to the innocent people who suffered in that day - it's hard to believe anyone is dumb enough to think it was a good idea.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen those arguments trotted out here by progressives...so yes, we are consistent!

If you're marching with haters of Jews and people carrying Hezbollah flags, you're guilty by association just as much as anyone marching with Nazis. Protesting on October 7 would be a massive slap in the face to the innocent people who suffered in that day - it's hard to believe anyone is dumb enough to think it was a good idea.
So you're agreeing that all of these people ARE guilty by association?

Or are you saying you don't have a position, you're just calling out hypocrisy or whatever blah blah line?

She introduced herself as one of the protest organisers.... She didn't give her life history. I didn't feel the need to research her individually, that would be a bit weird actually.

With regard to my statement being dishonest and borderline evil, what are you talking about? What about it was dishonest? How is it evil. It is 100% the truth, even if you don't like it. Left wing social media users have become sycophants for 'issues de jour'. Move on to the next shiny moral outrage when it gets enough media attention.... Rinse, repeat!
I think you're overblowing the situation here, do people like this exist? Yeah certainly, but they ain't the majority.

Furthermore, using this topic as a platform to criticize these types (which I agree the criticism is warranted) only veers off the topic and discredits your own (valid) argument.

Yes, I agree it shouldn't, but the ones you criticize will definitely discredit your criticism because your criticism is not the subject topic.

I couldn't tell you.

There are probably a few who genuinely cared about the cause.... But they would be a very small minority of those who now fly the Palestine, Hamas or Hezbollah flag.

Can you prove this to be the case?

It's not the opinions of others that cause the disquiet/outrage (however you want to describe it), it is the actual treatment of, in order of how you have listed them -
*African Americans
*Women
*Aboriginals
*Palestinians and/or Israelis (depending on your view of the conflict)

Left wing social media users have become sycophants for 'issues de jour'. Move on to the next shiny moral outrage when it gets enough media attention.... Rinse, repeat!
I have a theory that it's just like a modern day religion to replace the old uncool ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Protest marches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back