'Public image of me is wrong': Lance Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 30, 2005
in a house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
box hill
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g-lance-franklin/story-e6frf9lx-1226060001756

HAWTHORN'S Lance Franklin says the intense focus on his private life is suffocating at times but players at the club have helped him to deal with it.

"At times, yes (it was suffocating), but the club has been a great support for me and the leaders around the club have always been there for me," Franklin said.

a shy guy as i have said all along !!!

Personally, I couldn't give a stuff what non-Hawthorn people think about Buddy. Their problem, they can deal with it.

I am biased or course, but I've never quite understood the problem some people have with him. He looks to me like a talented young man who just enjoys playing football.

If you can't enjoy watching Buddy play footy, find something else to do.

a shy guy as i have said all along !!!
I have first hand experience that will go strongly against this from 2009 and 2010. I will not go into details as I know media peronel read this forum and best they do not know about it. Just all I will say is Buddy is as loud and arrogant in real life as his onfield persona and twice as annoying to those around him.

I have first hand experience that will go strongly against this from 2009 and 2010. I will not go into details as I know media peronel read this forum and best they do not know about it. Just all I will say is Buddy is as loud and arrogant in real life as his onfield persona and twice as annoying to those around him.
Only 2009 and 2010? And why don't you reveal the details? Don't let the media's supposed presence on BF hold you back. :rolleyes:

He has probably matured a bit since then.

this may well all be true Buddy.

However when people come to me and ask me about 1000 in 365 who am I to tell them santa doesnt exist.

The legend only grows more attractive with each denial.

you cant win...people believe what they want to believe.

And that's what makes Buddy Buddy.
Dermott had it, Carey had it, and I think it make them want to go out on the field and beat their opponent. Not all superstars in sport and business need to be loud and arrogant but some do. It pushes them to be their best. It can be a pain in the arse for the rest of us (except when they are hawks players) but this is what gives then thier extra 10%.
Best thing you can do is to say to these people that their opponent will beat them or that they are not as good as they think they are (Alan Jeans did this endlessly to Dermott. Pissed him off, fired him up and we all know the result).

Thanks for posting, Brian.

Hope you're back in the Doggies senior squad soon... :thumbsu:

ive also had first hand experience around lance. and my experience is that he was a genuinly nice guy, trying to live his life and appease the masses in the process.

of corse, hes human, so he may lose his cool from time to time, but that doesnt mean the public have it right.

I was at a night spot about a year ago in which lance was there with his mrs (really nice lookin lass), and he told a few people to "f*** off" because he wanted to be alone. that isnt being loud or rude, its being human!

ive also had first hand experience around lance. and my experience is that he was a genuinly nice guy, trying to live his life and appease the masses in the process.

of corse, hes human, so he may lose his cool from time to time, but that doesnt mean the public have it right.

I was at a night spot about a year ago in which lance was there with his mrs (really nice lookin lass), and he told a few people to "f*** off" because he wanted to be alone. that isnt being loud or rude, its being human!

I would say that even the "Hi Buddy" he gets from going to the supermarket must be annoying. It's like he can't buy bread and milk or go have a coffee in peace. If I ever see the boys around, I leave them alone. Deliberately. Unless it's a footy family day or whatever.

Leave people enjoy a few moments of peace ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my first hand experience is nothing like that , has joked with me and has been good to me never had a problem at all with him .

I would say that even the "Hi Buddy" he gets from going to the supermarket must be annoying. It's like he can't buy bread and milk or go have a coffee in peace. If I ever see the boys around, I leave them alone. Deliberately. Unless it's a footy family day or whatever.

only seen them at waverley after training or the stadium most i do maybe is a nod or a hi quite often they say hi to me i haven't bugged them for a sig while they are going for a coffee or meal i give them peace then now days even when leaving that door for their car i don't [used to but not now ] most times i will get my sigs at the best and fairest or family days or the after functions

Exactly, no need to have a go at me, i was merely supporting lance, due to a poster having a go at him.

Exactly, no need to have a go at me, i was merely supporting lance, due to a poster having a go at him.

Why do you have to go to his defense if somebody had a less than favorable experience with him?

I love my Hawks and love watching him play, however I met him around Christmas last year and the bloke was an arrogant prick. Sadly by contrast I seen Doggies players at the zoo a couple of weeks after, taking time out from chatting to their friends to pose for photos with kids. Were all class.

Yeh its a tough one, basically ROCK STAR STATUS in Melbourne akin to being an A list movie star. Basically has to be Mr Nice as much as possible. As I dont live in Melbourne, Ive never seen him away from footy but I would be in awe if I saw the guy in person and I would have to say hi, lol.

I do have trouble with the hating about him in the crowds though and thought the racial taunts were unfortunate from a few weeks back in the papers. He is such a super athlete I hope he stays at the Hawks until he retires. Watching the replay from the saints game, wow, what great contestied marks and leads he made on the day, I reckon that was his best game for some time. It seems we have some awesome low direct kickers in the team now to deliver to him, like savage, poppy, Breust. I will be so happy if we win against swans today but give us a BIG chance.

Why do you have to go to his defense if somebody had a less than favorable experience with him?

I love my Hawks and love watching him play, however I met him around Christmas last year and the bloke was an arrogant prick. Sadly by contrast I seen Doggies players at the zoo a couple of weeks after, taking time out from chatting to their friends to pose for photos with kids. Were all class.

i am sorry you had a bad experience with him i do hope the next time you meet him it will be a good one .
not knowing why he was like that when other times he has been good ?

maybe he had a bad day or just wanted to be left alone [only guessing ] players have off days like all people .

How much egg do the press have on their faces.

They wrote about him like he was going to become Gay Ablett, wayne carey, spider everitt rolled into one (I mean off-field)

Even got gratuitous advice from mr carey himself.

What a lot of twaddle !!!!!

My experiences with him always tend to be when Buddy is with his mates, non footy mates. They are just a bunch of tools of the highest order who all deserve a good kick in the pants. When I have seen Buddy with them you get the feeling he gets dragged down to their level a bit. Funny enough I have actually never seen him in a busy bar though as you have. They have always been pretty quiet.

Classic case of his biggest asset also being his biggest liability.

Buddy is no Saint, he is a God, a Hawthorn God....he is allowed to do anything as long as he keeps performing.

I'm such a fan of the Hawks. This team is so strong on offense and defense.
Buddy Franklin is certainly a powerhouse on the field.
I've only been able to view four Hawks games this Season, and all were stellar.

Classic case of his biggest asset also being his biggest liability.

Buddy is no Saint, he is a God, a Hawthorn God....he is allowed to do anything as long as he keeps performing.

Your latter proposition isn't sensible. This was the rationale that created the beast of Fevola.

You could have been making a joke, though...

Remove this Banner Ad

'Public image of me is wrong': Lance Franklin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back