QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

footyking has been quiet! mouthful of humble pie perhaps?

NP/Morro/Buzz - 2 weeks off in a row at this time of the year is pretty unusual - doing anything like a scratch match or will it be a good time to freshen everyone up?

footyking has been quiet! mouthful of humble pie perhaps?

NP/Morro/Buzz - 2 weeks off in a row at this time of the year is pretty unusual - doing anything like a scratch match or will it be a good time to freshen everyone up?
I am back to the retirement village for a freshen up, check in, see the local doctor, deal with my arthritis and hopefully a good run into finals.

3 games leading into finals is enough to make up for 2 weeks off at this unusual time off IMO.

The coach may have other ideas though.

so thats why the local robina physio, Chiro, osteo and thai massage joint is so hard to get into this week!

Was having a similar convo on the weekend around the week off in finals - if you have the week off you tell everyone its the best thing in the world to freshen up, if you play straight through you become the biggest advocate of consistently playing week in week out!

2 weeks off and then straight down to tansey park will be a good test.

Anyone see the game?

Saint's not as good as they pumped themselves up to be, Bond not as complacent as first assumed, or a combination of both?
A bit of both mate. Its obvious we didnt turn up to play and bond are very very good. Hopefully we learnt a valuable lesson from sunday and bounce back this weekend. GM and Bond are definitely the bench mark teams.
Good to see the redcliffe boys get up yesterday.

Are we all playing a make up round this week? From the round earlier in the year that was washed out?
I think we are set to play the suns two weeks in a row if that is right.

It would be very handy if 2 teams went up - 1 to QFA Nth and one to QFA sth - this would make both those comps 10 & 8 respectively and if one from QAFA B was to come up this would be a pretty good mix. Not sure who those clubs would be but there seems to be a bye every few weeks atm in Nth div and it is crap.

I think both Bond and GM could go up. They could both go south and pick another team to switch over to north group like Alex Hills. (that is what they were asking us to do last year).
Kedron are going through QAFA B undefeated so far this season, so if they could get the numbers for two teams then they would seem to be the logical choice to step up.

Are we all playing a make up round this week? From the round earlier in the year that was washed out?
I think we are set to play the suns two weeks in a row if that is right.

Correct. Everyone has their make up game, and the way the fixture has worked, each team will play the same team two weeks in a row

I think both Bond and GM could go up. They could both go south and pick another team to switch over to north group like Alex Hills. (that is what they were asking us to do last year).
Kedron are going through QAFA B undefeated so far this season, so if they could get the numbers for two teams then they would seem to be the logical choice to step up.

Jimboomba have been trying to move up for years and with the side they have gathered together this season, I think they would be very competitive if they moved up to QAFA A. Still not sure if they can get the numbers though

Jimboomba have been trying to move up for years and with the side they have gathered together this season, I think they would be very competitive if they moved up to QAFA A. Still not sure if they can get the numbers though

Yeah for many clubs, ourselves included numbers are easier said then done!!

Mergers with other clubs been considered ?
The chances of success in a higher division and actually staying competitive up there would be extremely hard I would think without a sound junior base.

To replenish a playing roster every season without having kids from youth teams coming through , would not be sustainable without them.

Bond may be a exception as the university acts the same as a junior base, but history shows all the teams that are playing finals in higher divisions have good junior bases to work from.

Most teams that are struggling in the higher grades , either have no juniors or don't have a good working relationship with their junior grades.

The chances of success in a higher division and actually staying competitive up there would be extremely hard I would think without a sound junior base.

To replenish a playing roster every season without having kids from youth teams coming through , would not be sustainable without them.

Bond may be a exception as the university acts the same as a junior base, but history shows all the teams that are playing finals in higher divisions have good junior bases to work from.

Most teams that are struggling in the higher grades , either have no juniors or don't have a good working relationship with their junior grades.
I totally agree. However Jimboomba have a juniors, not sure of the relationship between the Juniors and Seniors. And this goes for other clubs in the area. Time for some negotiations on forming joint teams from Juniors to Youth, a Colts team and then a Seniors and a Reserves side.
Until numbers grow in the South Western zone I see this as the only way forward.

Not sure where the obsession with clubs having to go to a higher div just because they have a successful 2 or 3 years comes from.

Footy is cyclical - over the last 10 years a number of clubs have had success and really struggled in this div.

Just because a team does well for a period of time doesn't mean they have outgrown the comp and should be merging to go up.

Griffith and Beenleigh perfect examples of how things generally change over a 5 year period.

I think sometimes committees and administrators push their own agenda's to see a team elevated. At the end of the day it comes down to the playing group - if blokes want to play a certain div with a certain level of commitment they will just go to another team in that comp if there club goes up without properly consulting them.

having 3 or 4 clubs in the same division within a 20 minute radius of each other is just stupid IMO and results in having difficulty getting players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where the obsession with clubs having to go to a higher div just because they have a successful 2 or 3 years comes from.

Footy is cyclical - over the last 10 years a number of clubs have had success and really struggled in this div.

Just because a team does well for a period of time doesn't mean they have outgrown the comp and should be merging to go up.

Griffith and Beenleigh perfect examples of how things generally change over a 5 year period.

I think sometimes committees and administrators push their own agenda's to see a team elevated. At the end of the day it comes down to the playing group - if blokes want to play a certain div with a certain level of commitment they will just go to another team in that comp if there club goes up without properly consulting them.

having 3 or 4 clubs in the same division within a 20 minute radius of each other is just stupid IMO and results in having difficulty getting players.
How is the thumb mate, word on the street is you might as well have feet for hands its so bad.

Moving between divisions should be made easier, so if a team does well one season but not the next they can go down a division.

Seems to be a large increase in costs to compete in higher divisions. Not sure where the extra costs come from to justify the AFLQ fees.

But you are very right, no club should move a team up a division without consultation with its players. Determine if numbers will still be there if a division change occurs.

How is the thumb mate, word on the street is you might as well have feet for hands its so bad.

mate its always good to come away from a weekend game with a new party trick!

was loose already but the ligament is pretty much farkkkkkked now - but there is no pain and it just clicks in and out - strapped it will be fine to keep playing with.

not sure whether it was a kicking in danger or whether it was from spook of all people hitting me lace out at pace early that caused it - you can imagine spook playing it up!

I'll try and post the pic of it for those wondering wtf im talking about!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 7
mate its always good to come away from a weekend game with a new party trick!

was loose already but the ligament is pretty much farkkkkkked now - but there is no pain and it just clicks in and out - strapped it will be fine to keep playing with.

not sure whether it was a kicking in danger or whether it was from spook of all people hitting me lace out at pace early that caused it - you can imagine spook playing it up!

I'll try and post the pic of it for those wondering wtf im talking about!
Haha Spook already told me it was his bullet pass haha, that is putrid mate.

I totally agree. However Jimboomba have a juniors, not sure of the relationship between the Juniors and Seniors. And this goes for other clubs in the area. Time for some negotiations on forming joint teams from Juniors to Youth, a Colts team and then a Seniors and a Reserves side.
Until numbers grow in the South Western zone I see this as the only way forward.
Jimboomba only have U8's, U10's & U12's at junior level and a joint U14's with Calamvale. Hardly the right support for a senior team but at least they are on the right track with a lot of recent instability from committee level.

I agree for the good of the game and the area some joint ventures may need to occur to sustain the amount of senior teams in our Region.

Agree totally BOC. With Beenleigh, Logan , Park RIdge , Moorooka and then the likes of Springwood, Jimboomba all within a 20 min radius something has to give you would think.

in all fairness I was surprised to see spook breaking out of the middle and then that he actually hit me up - thought with a vacant square he might of gone the torp on the run from 70!!

As i said it looks worse then it is and I wont miss any games with it.

Blocker - very much agree with you - now im not against clubs starting out - hell 20 years ago Robina didnt exist and clubs like Coomera have serviced a need - but at what cost? would SES/Logan and Beenleigh have picked up those players that are at Coomera if there was no club? I think its naive to think they wouldnt have found a team to play for. (not stating coomera shouldnt have formed - just using them as an example).

But i think the league needs to look at geographical density of teams in leagues - Its well publicised the drop off from 16's to 18's to senior level footy - I think offering people varying grades of competition is a better alternative to getting more cash out of them in fees but seeing them struggle.

If Bond went up you have them, Cooly, Burleigh, Robina all within a 20km radius and although great for away games - i think it weakens the teams.

in all fairness I was surprised to see spook breaking out of the middle and then that he actually hit me up - thought with a vacant square he might of gone the torp on the run from 70!!

As i said it looks worse then it is and I wont miss any games with it.

Blocker - very much agree with you - now im not against clubs starting out - hell 20 years ago Robina didnt exist and clubs like Coomera have serviced a need - but at what cost? would SES/Logan and Beenleigh have picked up those players that are at Coomera if there was no club? I think its naive to think they wouldnt have found a team to play for. (not stating coomera shouldnt have formed - just using them as an example).

But i think the league needs to look at geographical density of teams in leagues - Its well publicised the drop off from 16's to 18's to senior level footy - I think offering people varying grades of competition is a better alternative to getting more cash out of them in fees but seeing them struggle.

If Bond went up you have them, Cooly, Burleigh, Robina all within a 20km radius and although great for away games - i think it weakens the teams.

The above is what surprised me when AFLQ didnt intervene with the Buffs and Logan merger not going ahead. I didnt want the Buffs to merge personally but could understand the need for it.

I would have thought the older clubs are located closer together than the list of clubs in the south. Look at Yeronga, Sherwood, Kenmore etc.

I think what is needed is a hand form AFLQ in setting up new clubs, with links to Youth Teams if they are looking at being in a division other than div 4. Help establishing those youth teams, again with mergers as necessary until numbers are solid in both clubs is what is needed at a big picture level.

I would have thought the older clubs are located closer together than the list of clubs in the south. Look at Yeronga, Sherwood, Kenmore etc.

Difference there is that traditionally those 3 clubs have often all played in different divisions often providing a home for different standards of player. Granted now Kenmore are in same division as Yeronga and have their own facility, but this region can sustain it given Yeronga & Kenmore both field 3 teams and Sherwood have a vicarious 3rds via the Woodies.

Now you have small pockets of clubs in close proximity all playing in the same league.

That's when it becomes an issue imo

Difference there is that traditionally those 3 clubs have often all played in different divisions often providing a home for different standards of player. Granted now Kenmore are in same division as Yeronga and have their own facility, but this region can sustain it given Yeronga & Kenmore both field 3 teams and Sherwood have a vicarious 3rds via the Woodies.

Now you have small pockets of clubs in close proximity all playing in the same league.

That's when it becomes an issue imo
Some of those players drive a long way to play there too :)

Yes overall big picture is need to rationalise how many clubs/teams can be supported. But not our call, the call of the smart people in AFLQ office. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back