QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanted to also post this here, as having watched a lot of local footy, this rule is policed very badly at the local level. Happy to hear others opinion on this as well. Saw this posted on the fox footy site.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...ssue-facing-umps/story-e6frf3e3-1227324540885

This quote explains exactly how it should be umpired !!

• “If you drive your head into a player there’s a rule that says that’s your prior opportunity so you must kick or handball, otherwise holding the ball."

Also, “If he has his head over the ball and he comes up and he ducks back down and the tackle is reasonable, therefore the force is not unreasonable let’s say, the umpires are instructed to call play on."

With a lot of players in local leagues having probably grown up with rugby league, plenty of players seem willing to do this to draw cheap, soft high contact free kicks. I hope AFLQ re-inforce this rule at this level.

Paid That one on the weekend. The player mentioned,"what about my head?". I replied “If you drive your head into a player there’s a rule that says that’s your prior opportunity so you must kick or handball, otherwise holding the ball." His reply - Your ducking joking!!!

My view on that rule is that if a guy is leaning over and a tacklers runs in and tasckles him high, it should still be a free kick for high contact.

But if the guy with the ball runs into a stationary tackler while his head is down (ducking, leaning whatever) - then it should be play on.

My view on that rule is that if a guy is leaning over and a tacklers runs in and tasckles him high, it should still be a free kick for high contact.

But if the guy with the ball runs into a stationary tackler while his head is down (ducking, leaning whatever) - then it should be play on.
Only grey area is if both have some momentum going into the contest, hard to pick up the ball whilst running without lowering your head but I reckon you're pretty close

Paid That one on the weekend. The player mentioned,"what about my head?". I replied “If you drive your head into a player there’s a rule that says that’s your prior opportunity so you must kick or handball, otherwise holding the ball." His reply - Your ducking joking!!!

Highly commendable sir. Great to hear. If you could make a point of mentioning it to every umpire you speak to, that would be great !!

Only grey area is if both have some momentum going into the contest, hard to pick up the ball whilst running without lowering your head but I reckon you're pretty close

Lets get real for a second. You have both watched a lot of footy. The one that is extremely troubling, and has been interpreted wrong for years it seems, is the one where the player picks up the footy, has time to stand up but because of congestion and other inner weaknesses, tucks the head in and charges at the nearest opposition jumper, with the only intention of drawing an extremely soft high contact free kick. It is seriously bad in Qld, which I assume is because so many players probably grew up playing some form of rugby. It has to be stamped out, because it has the potential to be dangerous, and looks disgraceful.

Lets get real for a second. You have both watched a lot of footy. The one that is extremely troubling, and has been interpreted wrong for years it seems, is the one where the player picks up the footy, has time to stand up but because of congestion and other inner weaknesses, tucks the head in and charges at the nearest opposition jumper, with the only intention of drawing an extremely soft high contact free kick. It is seriously bad in Qld, which I assume is because so many players probably grew up playing some form of rugby. It has to be stamped out, because it has the potential to be dangerous, and looks disgraceful.
Honestly mate it's getting rare that a player gets the pill and then charges head first into a stationary opponent. I've seen it done sure, but more often it's like you mentioned when the player has time to stand up but positions their head into the tackler's arms instead that irks me! In the act of picking up the ball (at first opportunity not not staying low for longer than necessary) the player will be in a stooped position and the responsibility is on the tackler however by not immediately returning to a taller position or disposing of the ball then prior opportunity comes into play. The phrase "he ducked" is still prevalent and anyone that turns their head into a tackle is both foolish and using their prior opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to declare this thread anaphylactic

6017919_f520.jpg

Wowwe massive news, or maybe not even news to some, but fletcher from Logan (absolute gun) heard to be having a kick around the park with zillmere what's with this?

and if Ben long (zillmere coach and former pine rivers superstar) is reading this how are you managing to get these guys?

Leave our comp alone .

Name A place that gets very hot ben ???
Fletcher is a gun, unfortunately your massive news is massive bullshit, Fletch still at Suns, missed last week due to illness but then again you already knew that NP

Fletcher is a gun, unfortunately your massive news is massive bullshit, Fletch still at Suns, missed last week due to illness but then again you already knew that NP

Okay sorry so you can confirm that fletcher didn't play in any pre season games for Zillmere and hasn't been at any of there Monday or Wednesday trainings ?? My bad. Didn't think it sounded right.

Okay sorry so you can confirm that fletcher didn't play in any pre season games for Zillmere and hasn't been at any of there Monday or Wednesday trainings ?? My bad. Didn't think it sounded right.
Fletch did train with Zillmere which is close to home for him occasionally during preseason when his shift work didn't allow him to get to Suns training on Tuesday's or Thursday's that is no secret. He played in all Suns trial games and since season started trains regularly at the Suns including tonight, I hope this clears up your massive breaking news.
P.S Fletch will miss this week, back for the game against the Roosters the following week.

Last edited:
Fletch did train with Zillmere which is close to home for him occasionally during preseason when his shift work didn't allow him to get to Suns training on Tuesday's or Thursday's that is no secret. He played in all Suns trial games and since season started trains regularly at the Suns including tonight, I hope this clears up your massive breaking news.
P.S Fletch will miss this week, back for the game against the Roosters the following week.

Okay so my mail was on the money, fletcher was having a kick around the park with zillmere. :)

But happy to hear he's still at the Suns. Quality footballer. I'll tell my zillmere contact he's in the clouds .

I heard your brother tried to recruit him after the Rep game last year, so he must be a good player.

Isn't the Pine 2015 coach, the Kedron 2014 Coach?

If not, my apologies. But that is what I was getting at!

(also, Kedron finished 3rd in 2014 - hardly 'loosing' - or losing for the educated folk)

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back