QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Run fairness gazzza I think pressure was brought by various clubs who found they could not put a side on th3 paddock this season without doing it. I call it pragmatic. Not exactly a decision that will have lasting affects...

Run fairness gazzza I think pressure was brought by various clubs who found they could not put a side on th3 paddock this season without doing it. I call it pragmatic. Not exactly a decision that will have lasting affects...

Instigated by Morningside I believe , maybe clubs need to work harder to get the numbers.

I would hate to be the u18s coach. The good players often play seniors for their development, sometimes 1s, sometimes 2s. The mature for their age players often want to play up, because they don't want to play with kids, or the senior 2s coaches need the players (just a body on the field). For 'some' clubs, what's left I guess is the 'not ready for senior football' kids.

Finals time rolls around, and if your seniors 2s dont make finals and so dont need the kids, they can roll back and play finals in u18s. If the seniors also are in finals, sorry, do with what you've got.

Id like to see a club have both 1s and 2s miss, or knocked out early, and a couple of u18 eligible academy players who have been playing NEAFL all season take the field.

Instigated by Morningside I believe , maybe clubs need to work harder to get the numbers.

Cant disagree - and you dont need the tail wagging the dog if indeed true. Tbh I'm not against it but I think there should be a maximum of 3 x 18.5 in your team each week - no more.

I would hate to be the u18s coach. The good players often play seniors for their development, sometimes 1s, sometimes 2s. The mature for their age players often want to play up, because they don't want to play with kids, or the senior 2s coaches need the players (just a body on the field). For 'some' clubs, what's left I guess is the 'not ready for senior football' kids.

Finals time rolls around, and if your seniors 2s dont make finals and so dont need the kids, they can roll back and play finals in u18s. If the seniors also are in finals, sorry, do with what you've got.

Id like to see a club have both 1s and 2s miss, or knocked out early, and a couple of u18 eligible academy players who have been playing NEAFL all season take the field.

Depends on the clubs philosophy. I know we select Seniors, Colts, 2's in that order.

We had sufficient numbers, but supported the push to give us flexibility.

We have heaps on the track for 1s/2s, but with academy stuff we are missing some Colts and its up in the air when you get them back.

the rule change pushes 7 guys back to Colts age, doesn't mean they will play Colts - but it leaves the options open.

no doubt it was knocked back until the Siders got involved, just an extension of AFLQ down at Hawthorn, AFLQ should have put their offices there instead of Yeronga!

Perhaps for every kid that is U/18 playing Reserves or Seniors, you are allowed to have the same amount of 18.5's playing Colts.

ie. if you argue you want the age lifted because you have kids playing up because they're good enough, then you should have to prove it by actually doing it.

So if you have no U/18s playing Seniors/Ressies, then you aren't allowed to play the 18.5s in the Colts as a result.

Sometimes I surprise myself with my great ideas

Might be a bit hard to monitor Fan but if you had a maximum figure then it isn't - in reality the extra time in the age group is really for those kids who are relatively new to the game, possibly a late developer. if we can make it work at rep level then this would be just as easy. Just think its wrong to have a side with 10 over agers vs a side with possibly 3/4 U17.

yes, but the argument from clubs that wanted it changed was that they had players colts age that are ready for senior footy and players over colts age that aren't -if that were true, then the above rule would work perfectly.

If in fact that is actually bullshit and they just wanted to get more numbers down, then the above rule would hamper them for bullshitting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

should never have changed from U/19s

but because AFBL changed to 14s, 16s etc they sort of forced AFLQ's hand

Really difficult age group. One thing i think that contributes imo that constantly gets overlooked is the cost to play! Some of these kids and their parents just cant afford it. One of my gripes about footy is the opportunity denied to talent who just cant afford the costs associated whether it be club footy or representative programs. No kid should miss the opportunity to play sport because they cant afford it. With the obscene amounts of money our government wastes and the so called obesity problems in our youth, you would think they could provide incentives to kids to play sport of any kind. I know there is a grant of 150 dollars available to low income families, these do go very quick however and what about the kid good enough to play state 16s or academy stuff whose parents just cant afford the outlay so they miss out. I also think clubs can be more proactive minimising these costs and if possible allocate x amount of dollars to subsidise fees. Now i dont have kids playing footy or have a current association with a club, have just seen the struggle the kids and the clubs have.

We help kids with fees who need it, as I'm sure plenty of other clubs do.

Specifically don't want the player sponsorship to go to a 28 year old star who works at a law firm mon-fri.

I guess the issue is some just give it away because they don't know the help is there.

Really difficult age group. One thing i think that contributes imo that constantly gets overlooked is the cost to play! Some of these kids and their parents just cant afford it. One of my gripes about footy is the opportunity denied to talent who just cant afford the costs associated whether it be club footy or representative programs. No kid should miss the opportunity to play sport because they cant afford it. With the obscene amounts of money our government wastes and the so called obesity problems in our youth, you would think they could provide incentives to kids to play sport of any kind. I know there is a grant of 150 dollars available to low income families, these do go very quick however and what about the kid good enough to play state 16s or academy stuff whose parents just cant afford the outlay so they miss out. I also think clubs can be more proactive minimising these costs and if possible allocate x amount of dollars to subsidise fees. Now i dont have kids playing footy or have a current association with a club, have just seen the struggle the kids and the clubs have.
Yes totally agree with what your saying sp having been involved in junior footy on sunny coast both at club and school level for past couple of years.seen some fantastic talent at school competition where participation costs are zero or at least included in school fees however many don't continue playing at club level due to registration fees.a real shame as we may never get to realise or see our best talent down the track.

All very true - unfortunately we are a reactive lot rather than proactive. If we were able to subsidise to ensure sport was free then maybe we wouldn't spend so much on youth programs for the disengaged... Its a ridiculous cycle we are in. Bit like providing private health to cover soft tissue injuries vs gym memberships, yoga, pilates. We could prevent so many problems if the $$ were directed the right way..

Yeah just signed up my son to play under 12’s and it cost $370. A fair whack of dough.

Mind you it’s chicken feed when you compare to the daughters dance and even soccer. And to play rep cricket it’s around $800/$1000 for a week carnival.

So overall it compares pretty well and I reckon it’s worth every cent as my son loves playing footy

I think Tommo is out of touch with his juniors.

I have a nephew there and I'm sure it was over $200 to play U/10s, but it does have a refundable volunteer levy included.

Yeah just signed up my son to play under 12’s and it cost $370. A fair whack of dough.

Mind you it’s chicken feed when you compare to the daughters dance and even soccer. And to play rep cricket it’s around $800/$1000 for a week carnival.

So overall it compares pretty well and I reckon it’s worth every cent as my son loves playing footy

My son is playing under 9’s and the fees are $313. I think that is far too much for kids to play 40-50 mins of footy on a Saturday morning

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back