QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Time available to waste this week is still tight – but this is the final round, so let’s put a little effort into the notes. Aside from that, there are some historically intriguing clashes this week too. (Last week of Under 8s footy too!)

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Noosa V Maroochydore
Played 10: Noosa 5 wins – Maroochydore 4 – Draw 1
It doesn’t escape me that sometimes these numbers are ridiculous. They only include results at a QAFL-level. For the numbers above, it covers the years of 2011 to 2013 (NEAFL era) and 2021 to 2023.
But to suggest that is the full extent of their rivalry is patent folly. This is one of the great current contests of the local football scene – right up there with Sherwood V Mt Gravatt, or Labrador V Palm Beach, or (add your own preferred clash here). And one thing you can observe from all of these tremendous clashes is that they pre-date the QAFL through other competitions.
Looking at the in-between years (2014 to 2019) when both clubs were in the QFA Division 1 variations, the record stands as: Maroochydore 9 V Noosa 12. Significantly, both teams each won a premiership against the other during these years. Prior to that, there are the BAFL years of 1993 to 1997 (during which, the Roos defeated Noosa for the 1994 premiership). And before that, there are several decades of clashes in the Sunshine Coast competition.
The rivalry is so much more than the numbers shown above!

Sherwood V Wilston Grange
Played 33: Sherwood 20 – Wilston Grange 13
They have been playing each other since 1983 – yet only 33 games! This is another case of the rollercoaster existence of clubs as they rise and fall through various competitions locally. The first iteration of contests lasted from 1983 to 1987 – which was not revisited until 2011, enduring until the present day.
Mixed in amongst those years, the two clubs also met in the AFLSQ Premier Division in 2000 (the Magpies won their sole clash by 19 points) and in the AFLQ Division 2 from 2005 to 2008. In these latter years, the two clubs only met on 5 occasions, with Sherwood victorious each time.
Of the 33 QAFL games, 6 have been decided by single digit margins. Can the Magpies finish their year on a high?

Redland V Morningside
Played 36: Redland 27 – Morningside 9
I was surprised by this ledger. And that it is probably based on prejudicial thoughts on the origins of the two clubs. I recall in the SQAFA/BAFL years, numerous ex-Morningside players would move across to Redland.
The Sharks and the Panthers have competed against each other since 2000, only interrupted by Redland’s NEAFL involvement. If we ignore the difficult 2006 Season (Morningside defeated Redland 471 to 65 across two games), then Redland is clearly the dominant side in these clashes.
Also, when did “Redland” stop being “Redlands”? It feels more natural for me to say “Redlands” – but I’ve been chipped on that before!

Labrador V Broadbeach
Played 60: Labrador 21 wins – Broadbeach 39
Finally, a relatively substantial history. This record of 60 games only accounts for their history in “QAFL”, where they have met uninterrupted since 1997. Yet once again, dig further back, and the Tigers and the Cats have been competing for decades prior to that year. I understand that Broadbeach joined the Senior competition of the GCAFL in 1971, so that is a further 26 years of results unaccounted for here.
Seven of the 60 games have been decided by less than 10 points. Broadbeach are travelling extremely well at the moment though.

Aspley V Surfers Paradise
Played 1: Aspley 1 – Surfers Paradise 0
First time they have met this season - and what a history! There really is not much to talk about here. They played against each other once last year – and now meet this year in the final round of the season. Perhaps they could meet during the finals?
They have some earlier history, competing in the same divisions during 2000 to 2001 and 2005 to 2008.

Mt Gravatt V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 19: Mt Gravatt 2 - Palm Beach 17
This is the entirety of their playing history. Given Mt Gravatt joined the QAFL in 1994, and Palm Beach moved into the AFLSQ in 2000, they did not meet up in the same competition until 2014. Since that time, it has been pretty much one-way traffic for the Lions.
There has only really been one abject hiding in those matches.
Finishing off their year at home, can the Vultures get the points?

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, please let me know - I'm cool to be corrected. Also also, if you have any SQAFA/BAFL, GCAFL, or SCAFL results to share, please get in touch.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Big final round for tomorrow. The race for finals comes down to this. The way I see it playing out is that PBC get the win over Mt Gravatt, Labrador lose to Broadbeach in a close one, RVP are too much for Morningside and Maroochydore get the job done over Noosa but it’s not enough in the end as PBC get the win over Mt Gravatt. So I see PBC getting the elusive 6th and final spot. Lots of scenarios to look out for during tomorrow. Let me know how you guys see it playing out.

Big final round for tomorrow. The race for finals comes down to this. The way I see it playing out is that PBC get the win over Mt Gravatt, Labrador lose to Broadbeach in a close one, RVP are too much for Morningside and Maroochydore get the job done over Noosa but it’s not enough in the end as PBC get the win over Mt Gravatt. So I see PBC getting the elusive 6th and final spot. Lots of scenarios to look out for during tomorrow. Let me know how you guys see it playing out.
I agree with you mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the regular season now over, here is the final ladder...

1. Aspley, 62pts
2. Redland, 56pts
3. Broadbeach, 54pts
4. Surfers Paradise, 48pts
5. Wilston Grange, 44pts
6. Palm Beach, 34pts
7. Labrador, 30pts
8. Maroochydore, 28pts
9. Morningside, 28pts
10. Noosa, 24pts
11. Mt Gravatt, 20pts
12. Sherwood, 4pts

Here are the Finals matchups...

Elimination Finals - August 26
EF1: Broadbeach vs Palm Beach
EF2: Surfers Paradise vs Wilston Grange

Qualifying / Semi Finals - September 2
QF: Aspley vs Redland
SF: Winner of EF1 vs Winner of EF2

Preliminary Final - September 9
PF: Loser of QF vs Winner of SF

Grand Final - September 16
Winner of QF vs Winner of PF

With the regular season now over, here is the final ladder...

1. Aspley, 62pts
2. Redland, 56pts
3. Broadbeach, 54pts
4. Surfers Paradise, 48pts
5. Wilston Grange, 44pts
6. Palm Beach, 34pts
7. Labrador, 30pts
8. Maroochydore, 28pts
9. Morningside, 28pts
10. Noosa, 24pts
11. Mt Gravatt, 20pts
12. Sherwood, 4pts