QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Broadbeach have a very good one joining his mates on the plane to Horsham each week, the money blokes are getting offered to play country Vic is amazing and it’s hurting our league but It’s great to see Victoria has worked out QLD footy is a high standard.

My question is how many clubs would be able to pay a salary cap of $100k to $120k a year? Plus coaches
Yeah I think it is disappointing too GK - not blaming blokes necessarily taking the opportunity to be adventurous with their football experiences but it does hurt our competition and probably goes against my thoughts around team sport (ie training should be a prerequisite at the least!). Interestingly the Lake Boga experiment has been an unmitigated disaster for that club from what I can see. Finishing 4th but recruiting all those blokes from SEQ plus Melb (Tyle Williams had a kick there as well being good mates with the Maroochy boys) must be considered a massive fail I would have thought.
With el nino kicking in I won't be donating to Farm Aid.....

No way the Cats could do 100-120k.
We are already stretched with the current cap.

I shouldn’t speak for other clubs but my feeling is Aspley might be the only club that could do 120k, but perhaps Noosa, Grange, Labrador, Redland & Maroochy can get to 100k.
Maroochy not a hope right now although made a profit this year which was good I'm told.

Noosa would be able to do 100k plus coaches but at a stretch and that’s going back to a break even profit and loss scenario.Extremely lucky we have a Farmers market that contributes around 120k a year!
AFLQ meetings last week confirmed their concern over number of players doing the FIFO to country Victoria and the question of Southport re entering the QAFL arose
Yeah I think it is disappointing too GK - not blaming blokes necessarily taking the opportunity to be adventurous with their football experiences but it does hurt our competition and probably goes against my thoughts around team sport (ie training should be a prerequisite at the least!). Interestingly the Lake Boga experiment has been an unmitigated disaster for that club from what I can see. Finishing 4th but recruiting all those blokes from SEQ plus Melb (Tyle Williams had a kick there as well being good mates with the Maroochy boys) must be considered a massive fail I would have thought.
With el nino kicking in I won't be donating to Farm Aid.....
These towns don’t have any other option but to recruit from outside as they don’t have the young people living in town anymore, so if footy dies it can also kill the towns.

If my young bloke can jump on a plane and earn $1000 to $2000 a game to play footy and still live at home and have a good job I’m not stopping him.

These towns don’t have any other option but to recruit from outside as they don’t have the young people living in town anymore, so if footy dies it can also kill the towns.

If my young bloke can jump on a plane and earn $1000 to $2000 a game to play footy and still live at home and have a good job I’m not stopping him.
No I get that - but lake Boga has never had any people living there really - always relied on blokes from elsewhere in the main. Just seems that Qld is flavour of the month right now and at 3 pts/player probably not a bad deal. Not sure what points blokes from melb would be?

For all the rubbish spewed here about the struggles of Qld footy occasionally there isn't too many clubs going to the wall. They generally just drop back a division!

No I get that - but lake Boga has never had any people living there really - always relied on blokes from elsewhere in the main. Just seems that Qld is flavour of the month right now and at 3 pts/player probably not a bad deal. Not sure what points blokes from melb would be?

For all the rubbish spewed here about the struggles of Qld footy occasionally there isn't too many clubs going to the wall. They generally just drop back a division!
BACK BEFORE THE SALARY CAPS AND POINTS SYSTEMS MANY CLUBS THAT HAD MONEY WOULD BUY A PREMIERSHIP IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN .. THIS CANNOT BE DONE IN TODAYS ENVIROMENT DUE TO THE SALARY CAP AND POINTS SYSTEM ,, SO WHY THE HELL DO CLUBS PAY 2 OR 3 PLAYERS HUGE BUCKS AS RECRUITS , FLY IN FLY OUT ,, HAS ME STAGGERED,,

Well it ap;pears Aspley are not messing around,, got some recruits and heaps of re signings ,, Premiers in 2024 !!!
Redlands have picked up 2 or 3 guns, as has The Grange .. Morningside also and Surfers with their 2 ex AFL guns ..

Reported to have had 20 at training, and no coach to speak of.

Suggestions a couple of recently departed players thought it a good idea to turn up and watch training while enjoying a beer. What absolute shithouse blokes they must be if that is correct.

Carbone and Smith to Redland - 12 points (+ Cameron 5 points)
Leahy and McDonald to Aspley - 12 points

Surely there is a squeeze on these clubs points cap!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reported to have had 20 at training, and no coach to speak of.

Suggestions a couple of recently departed players thought it a good idea to turn up and watch training while enjoying a beer. What absolute shithouse blokes they must be if that is correct.

Carbone and Smith to Redland - 12 points (+ Cameron 5 points)
Leahy and McDonald to Aspley - 12 points

Surely there is a squeeze on these clubs points cap!
Grange got a couple of Mounties boys as well I think. No doubt a few will also end up at Sherwood and Morningside you would think?

Grange got a couple of Mounties boys as well I think. No doubt a few will also end up at Sherwood and Morningside you would think?
And I'd put my house on it that some will end up in Division 1, Coorparoo for one, they always seem to be able to get a few especially as they are still very much in the premiership window, the Lake connection to MG and odds on to enter the QAFL at some stage (in my opinion). Pumas too, being almost neighbours may sneak one or two.

Won’t be any penalty points if they implode. Watch if they drop to Friday night all those blokes become 2 pointers. AFLQ for the win again!

Incorrect.

All the blokes that have signed at other clubs already will be 6 pointers.

The points policy is very clear that if you recruit from a competing club, you are assessed at your base value, plus a 2 point penalty.

Base value of a QAFL footballer with more than 5 games experience in any of the previous 3 seasons is 4, plus 2 as they are a competing club.

If they implode, those players are all still 6 pointers as they came from a competing club when they signed. In fact, you would argue that signing them played a role in the implosion, so the 2 point penalty is perfectly applicable and justified.

And I'd put my house on it that some will end up in Division 1, Coorparoo for one, they always seem to be able to get a few especially as they are still very much in the premiership window, the Lake connection to MG and odds on to enter the QAFL at some stage (in my opinion). Pumas too, being almost neighbours may sneak one or two.

think a few good ones have left to play on Fridays for Coorparoo...!

I think the ‘implosion’ has been building up for about a decade. Multiple different coaches with drastically different playing styles and own personal approaches to the players and the club itself in only 10 years really hasn’t helped. I’m aware most coaches left for varying reasons (personal, fall out, all the way to taking the Aspley gig). Which are all fair to some extent.

The players culture at Mt Gravatt has been pretty average. There have been a handful of coaches in this period who let the players walk over them and all over the club. A lot of mates rates and particularly in blokes who would struggle to be in the best 22 in other QAFL teams. I can only think of a few in the last ten years who were worthy of being paid the ‘big bucks’ . A few to name would be Mick Hamill, Andrew Smith and Jayden Crawley. Along with Rhys Estall at one point. I’m not overly familiar with the current playing group but I’d assume the likes of Joel Leahy would be well worth the money.

The turnover rate of coaches hasn’t helped but the off field drama with the senior committee which has spanned around the decade mark is beyond ridiculous. The turnover rate on the committee is even worse.

So how can a QAFL club that isn’t rich and doesn’t own it’s own sports bar ‘southern cross’ and have all the on and off field issues that occur and hasn’t played finals for a few years, survive.

It would be great if they could stay in QAFL and rebuild as I’d assume getting back into QAFL would be harder then falling out ?

Best of luck to them.

Gave Daniel Webster his start as a Senior Coach, he went alright. Morningside are onto their 5th senior coach in 8 years, so they're hardly on their own with coach turnover at this level.

Obviously the playing group culture you refer to has some legs. Leahy allegedly turned up to watch them train over a beer last night, Todd Carbone referred to as a 'good clubman' when being announced by Redland after he just jumped off a joint he skippered, won a B&F etc. Absolutely rubbish behaviour.

Pushing out Rod Nutall probably wasn't wise.

Gave Daniel Webster his start as a Senior Coach, he went alright. Morningside are onto their 5th senior coach in 8 years, so they're hardly on their own with coach turnover at this level.

Obviously the playing group culture you refer to has some legs. Leahy allegedly turned up to watch them train over a beer last night, Todd Carbone referred to as a 'good clubman' when being announced by Redland after he just jumped off a joint he skippered, won a B&F etc. Absolutely rubbish behaviour.

Obviously not going to air out private information about board/committee etc however i can comment on the player culture. To accuse Todd of not being a good clubman is absurd, stayed loyal through a lot and just doesn’t want to play his last couple years with a bunch of blokes he doesn’t know which is understandable. However the likes of Leahy and Licht enjoying a beer and watching them train is appalling and the place will be better off without characters like that anyway, no matter how good they are.

Not sure your maths is right in regards Morningside 5 coaches in 8 years? Doggie 4 years and Egan in his second this year is 2 coaches in 6 years in my estimation?

In regards MtGravatt it’s just another sad situation that will only become more common due to good people either being pushed out or moving on in life that have held clubs together.

Just not the same passionate footy people for clubs coming through. More people just focused on their own agendas which ruins good clubs.

Just a counter statement to you
(On Looke) I think you will find Morningside is probably the only club that has come into QAFL at the start of the Brisbane Clubs that is still going at same level or above. To my knowledge most other clubs have gone or like Grange went and came back.

As Longy said it’s sad that a lot of great clubs like Zillmere, Sandgate, Coorparoo etc have gone out of QAFL competition. But it’s a similar trend that will keep occurring unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back