QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

SMY, apologies for my lack of clarity. Maybe I’m just being short sighted as BrizToon suggests.

In response:
(1) Absolutely the discussion is the players making up the numbers in the Academy, not dead certain draftees (because they’re getting drafted). Absolutely each player in the Academy should have a red hot crack at getting drafted (and their QAFL club should 100% support them to doing so). And absolutely the greater the connection with club prior to draft day the greater likelihood of them continuing with the club. That is actually the precise point being made now, and previously. I simply suggest that there could be some better balance. If you suggest otherwise then we can agree to disagree.

(2) You mention players at AFL clubs with only a few games. I don’t profess to be an expert in any way shape or form however my understanding is that these AFL listed players do have a players association and support groups, player managers etc for assistance and guidance for the players exiting the AFL club. I think the big difference here is they’ve now got a personal brand. The classic example is a player in QFA Div 1 list at Beenleigh, for example, can command sound $ at the lower levels because he has the experience of a handful of AFL games and VFL/ NEAFL games.
Fair enough LB - I know what you are saying and my example of Reid is just that he has nil connection with a footy club this year (through no fault of his own) yet boys being drafted from interstate clubs in SA and WA have a heap (JHF for example). Reid did play a game back at his home club though this year.
I was in Melb around GF time for local leagues and Bailey Humphrey was at the Moe netball club's GF.. Was enjoying himself alot. :) My point is that even a kid who is assumed to be a certainty to get drafted needs the support of a club around him for the "just in case" scenario. Even a Harley Reid - if his career doesn't pan out the way we all assume its going to he will need a net to catch him as he falls down to earth (unlikely I know).

I'm thinking you are asking for those boys who we know fairly early in the process who are not going to have their name called out to be linked strongly with club at some point during the season.

Having seen first hand a few kids fall away never to play again and seeing it from the club as well as academy POV I think its important to recognise it's a two way street. Neither party has any more responsibility than the other and neither has any more "ownership" of that kids pathway imo. It's a 50/50 JV as far as I'm concerned. It is only when one thinks they are the more important cog in the wheel that it gets messy and the kid is pig in the middle. As is usually the case, it's the communication that is the issue I think but I agree with Miller earlier - kid comes back to club and can often be made to feel like fish and chip paper when all they often want is a small bit of love. On the other hand seen many a kid strut back in like a 200 game veteran returning to save the forgotten land which understandably puts a few noses out of joint. It's a delicate balance with high emotions the 18th year I think. Some clubs / coaches do it better than others.

Fair enough LB - I know what you are saying and my example of Reid is just that he has nil connection with a footy club this year (through no fault of his own) yet boys being drafted from interstate clubs in SA and WA have a heap (JHF for example). Reid did play a game back at his home club though this year.
I was in Melb around GF time for local leagues and Bailey Humphrey was at the Moe netball club's GF.. Was enjoying himself alot. :) My point is that even a kid who is assumed to be a certainty to get drafted needs the support of a club around him for the "just in case" scenario. Even a Harley Reid - if his career doesn't pan out the way we all assume its going to he will need a net to catch him as he falls down to earth (unlikely I know).

I'm thinking you are asking for those boys who we know fairly early in the process who are not going to have their name called out to be linked strongly with club at some point during the season.

Having seen first hand a few kids fall away never to play again and seeing it from the club as well as academy POV I think its important to recognise it's a two way street. Neither party has any more responsibility than the other and neither has any more "ownership" of that kids pathway imo. It's a 50/50 JV as far as I'm concerned. It is only when one thinks they are the more important cog in the wheel that it gets messy and the kid is pig in the middle. As is usually the case, it's the communication that is the issue I think but I agree with Miller earlier - kid comes back to club and can often be made to feel like fish and chip paper when all they often want is a small bit of love. On the other hand seen many a kid strut back in like a 200 game veteran returning to save the forgotten land which understandably puts a few noses out of joint. It's a delicate balance with high emotions the 18th year I think. Some clubs / coaches do it better than others.
All very fair points SMY.

Often the top end talent have the right character & so they’ll support their local club & mates anyway when they can.

I agree there has to be the good of the game taken as a priority by all parties at different times.

Clubs and Academies do have some different priorities at different times. Hopefully we can get a balance that works as close to optimal for all parties.

I probably think times have changed with kids nowadays and very few return home to their local clubs when they finish. The lure of $$$ is far to much compared to 20 years ago when most did just return home.

Especially the players with somewhat of a profile they are even harder to get back. The ones that play under 50 AFL games also seem to just go where money is. Loyalty not a big thing nowadays.

I probably think times have changed with kids nowadays and very few return home to their local clubs when they finish. The lure of $$$ is far to much compared to 20 years ago when most did just return home.

Especially the players with somewhat of a profile they are even harder to get back. The ones that play under 50 AFL games also seem to just go where money is. Loyalty not a big thing nowadays.
Yes, agree SM

So looks like some solid pieces at Aspley…..

Be interesting at Morningside to see what happens. If Matherson doesn’t go anywhere does he play with his mate Robbo or chase more money. The signed Cokkato Collins didn’t they?

Grange bringing in a few…
Not sure any QAFL Club can afford Matho at the figures beng bantered around. Reckon his only option is Melbourne.

Morningside have signed Cocky plus Garrett McDonaugh who was on Essendons list 2 years ago. Think they will be competitive with them few additions.

So looks like some solid pieces at Aspley…..

Be interesting at Morningside to see what happens. If Matherson doesn’t go anywhere does he play with his mate Robbo or chase more money. The signed Cokkato Collins didn’t they?

Grange bringing in a few…
Grange bringing in some quality, but massive loss is Martyn to Lions VFL

Grange bringing in some quality, but massive loss is Martyn to Lions VFL
Yeah that is a massive loss GK.I’m hearing Will ODwyer has a spot with Lions VFL also.Big ruckman Crisp heading back to Melbourne for work and obviously the loss of Wilson,Laskey and Buntain big for Noosa!
Have picked up some serious quality though in Rich,Archard(Essendon VFL),Conn(GWS),Freeman,Horbury(VFL),McCarthy (Geelong VFL) so expecting improvement on 2023.
I thought Mitch Robinson was heading back to Tassie to play with his original club in 24?

Yeah that is a massive loss GK.I’m hearing Will ODwyer has a spot with Lions VFL also.Big ruckman Crisp heading back to Melbourne for work and obviously the loss of Wilson,Laskey and Buntain big for Noosa!
Have picked up some serious quality though in Rich,Archard(Essendon VFL),Conn(GWS),Freeman,Horbury(VFL),McCarthy (Geelong VFL) so expecting improvement on 2023.
I thought Mitch Robinson was heading back to Tassie to play with his original club in 24?
Some big losses for Noosa but even bigger gains,, thats a lot of VFL talent there plus Rich,, should impeove for sure.
Morningside to improve as well.
Aspley , well so far it appears they are retaining players and if the case will once again be the yardstick .
And all is very quiet on the Gold Coast ,, no real news coming from any of the clubs ,

Laskey Retired?

U can put your house on Noosa having a turn over of players each year 😁 has been this way for decades. Surprised about ODwyer at the Lions. Not sure he’s that standard.
Some good gets there NB. And yeah I thought Robbo had signed in Tassie for 2024 ?
Matheson be a good pu for someone.

U can put your house on Noosa having a turn over of players each year 😁 has been this way for decades. Surprised about ODwyer at the Lions. Not sure he’s that standard.
Some good gets there NB. And yeah I thought Robbo had signed in Tassie for 2024 ?
Matheson be a good pu for someone.
Matho definitely going to Melbourne to play as massive coin down there that QLD Clubs can’t compete with. Until salary cap allows for at least 1 AFL type player outside the cap competition will miss out.

Think there is an arrangement with Robbo that he has freedom until
30th June but has given an undertaking he will be back at Morningside after that date.

Whether that eventuates who knows as Robbo probably doesn’t even know what he wants to do😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matho definitely going to Melbourne to play as massive coin down there that QLD Clubs can’t compete with. Until salary cap allows for at least 1 AFL type player outside the cap competition will miss out.

Think there is an arrangement with Robbo that he has freedom until
30th June but has given an undertaking he will be back at Morningside after that date.

Whether that eventuates who knows as Robbo probably doesn’t even know what he wants to do😂
Yeah Robbo has got to pretend he’s coming back so he can keep his shiny new car from Downtown 😂

These rumours about the AFL trying to set up a national reserves competition has me thinking 2024 could be the last QAFL season that doesn't involve Southport. If that does happen, it'll be really interesting to see if Southport falls back into the model they had prior to entering the NEAFL where they just essentially poach all the best young talent from around the Gold Coast and dominate the QAFL as a result or if the last decade has built strong cultures within the other Gold Coast QAFL teams and prevents it from happening again. I would also assume one of the existing Gold Coast teams will likely get relegated to make way for Southport which means the pressure is on to perform in 2024.

These rumours about the AFL trying to set up a national reserves competition has me thinking 2024 could be the last QAFL season that doesn't involve Southport. If that does happen, it'll be really interesting to see if Southport falls back into the model they had prior to entering the NEAFL where they just essentially poach all the best young talent from around the Gold Coast and dominate the QAFL as a result or if the last decade has built strong cultures within the other Gold Coast QAFL teams and prevents it from happening again. I would also assume one of the existing Gold Coast teams will likely get relegated to make way for Southport which means the pressure is on to perform in 2024.
I spoke to a CEO of a stand alone VFL club last week and he has said the league won’t change for a while.

I don’t think we will see Southport for a while in the QAFL

Yeah Robbo has got to pretend he’s coming back so he can keep his shiny new car from Downtown 😂
Bit rough that an Aspley supporter having a go at anyone in regards salary cap GK.

Pretty sure that was a separate sponsorship as they had a League, Netball Ambassador but no AFL so Robbo got the gig because of his social media exposure as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back