Qatar has 2022 in the bag

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope you are joking...

Qatar to build 8 indoor stadiums in Doha of capacity 40k+, then dismantle them and give them away??? Can you imagine the cost of moving 8 Ethiad Stadiums - to New Zealand???

This will be the bid where absolutely no cost is considered too excessive.

I really hope you are joking...

Qatar to build 8 indoor stadiums in Doha of capacity 40k+, then dismantle them and give them away??? Can you imagine the cost of moving 8 Ethiad Stadiums - to New Zealand???

Like WorldCup2022OZ its just the top tier, I should of been more decriptive.

It wouldn't be that big a cost to just remove the top tier, providing the stadiums we're built with that in mind (which they would of been). Also I believe one of the requirements for hosting the event is to leave a legacy for football, the only way that can be achieved in Qatar is to send the top tier of the stadiums to other countries as the Qatar football league isn't doing very well.

Do you really believe that Qatar won't spend what ever it has to do win this bid? That is providing they are serious and not just doing a bid for publicity.

Like WorldCup2022OZ its just the top tier, I should of been more decriptive.

It wouldn't be that big a cost to just remove the top tier, providing the stadiums we're built with that in mind (which they would of been). Also I believe one of the requirements for hosting the event is to leave a legacy for football, the only way that can be achieved in Qatar is to send the top tier of the stadiums to other countries as the Qatar football league isn't doing very well.

Do you really believe that Qatar won't spend what ever it has to do win this bid? That is providing they are serious and not just doing a bid for publicity.

There's an article on the Roar saying how each Qatari league game gets about 200 in attendance (that's two hundred as in two hundred).

There's an article on the Roar saying how each Qatari league game gets about 200 in attendance (that's two hundred as in two hundred).

Attending sporting events isn't part of culture in Middle East. It's actually free to get into all professional sporting events/leagues and even then nobody turns up.

they will be installing climate control in the stadiums, so therefore the heat will not be an issue. They will be able to play the games at a normal time for the european time zone.

be that as it may, 40 degree heat with ridicioulus humidity= worst wc in history. Nobody will be able to play any football in those conditions, and even if they do that in match venues, what about training venues? Do they train in that heat and then play in air conditioned fields?

that will not be an issue as the stadium's are designed to be taken apart and given to third world countries therefore providing a lot more to football than others.

that makes no sense, will still cost them 100's of billions of dollars to do all of this, and then deconstruct them. Anyone calling australia's bid white elephants and approving this is a bias anti football moron who is dead scared of the flow on affects for football in australia.

besides qatar can afford to spend the money on the stadiums, unlike south africa.

so? Its still a massive waste of money, that leaves no legacy whatsoever, which is somemthing fifa love to leave behind, once they host the wc and take there $$$$.

agree that it is a bit of an issue, but if fifa agree's to lax there rules then there is nothing stopping qatar from having multiple stadiums in the one city. (we will have to do the same thing).

true, theres nothing stopping them bending the rules, heck the 2 stadiums in 1 city came in for sth africa iirc. But this is crazy, doha is home to around half (if not more) of the professional football clubs in qatar, and would have im guessing atleast 5, probly more.

Thats a hell of a lot different to sydney possibly having 3 (1 will be cut) and geelong and melbourne hosting.

i'm sure the government/royalty would lax the rules for the duration of the cup, if they aren't prepared to allow drinking then they don't win the rights.

Even if they do that, its still bogus, for how long do they change the law? And what does that say about that specific law in general? Imo you cannot change a countries law for a sporting event, no matter how big it is. And yes, this definatly puts them behind the 8 ball given fifa has a massive sposorship with budweiser for 2010 and its safe to assume they will in the futute (with budweiser, or someone else).
there is no way fifa can justify a world cup in qatar other than a $$$ grab.

be that as it may, 40 degree heat with ridicioulus humidity= worst wc in history. Nobody will be able to play any football in those conditions, and even if they do that in match venues, what about training venues? Do they train in that heat and then play in air conditioned fields?

Good point about the training didn't think of that one, but if they are prepared to cool their stadiums, Im sure they would be prepared to provide indoor training factilities. This may not be ideal but it would work.

The bigger issue would be the general comfort of all the fans/players/officals in non match times, as you said that heat/humidity would be a killer.

that makes no sense, will still cost them 100's of billions of dollars to do all of this, and then deconstruct them. Anyone calling australia's bid white elephants and approving this is a bias anti football moron who is dead scared of the flow on affects for football in australia.

I don't care what Qatar does with their money, if they are willing to spend the money to do what they propose then that is their problem and good luck to them.

Some of our stadiums would be white elephants, but most would be used by Aussie Rules, the problem most people have with our bid is that we can't afford to spend the amount of money we would have to to host the cup.

I don't want us to win the 2022 bid, I want to host the world cup when Australia as a country is ready.

so? Its still a massive waste of money, that leaves no legacy whatsoever, which is somemthing fifa love to leave behind, once they host the wc and take there $$$$.

That is why they propose to ship the top of the stadiums to other countries. To leave that legacy.

true, theres nothing stopping them bending the rules, heck the 2 stadiums in 1 city came in for sth africa iirc. But this is crazy, doha is home to around half (if not more) of the professional football clubs in qatar, and would have im guessing atleast 5, probly more.

Thats a hell of a lot different to sydney possibly having 3 (1 will be cut) and geelong and melbourne hosting.

Yes Qatar is a lot smaller, but fifa would of known that when they accepted their bid, if fifa thought the country couldn't host the world cup they wouldn't of accepted their bid.

Even if they do that, its still bogus, for how long do they change the law? And what does that say about that specific law in general? Imo you cannot change a countries law for a sporting event, no matter how big it is. And yes, this definatly puts them behind the 8 ball given fifa has a massive sposorship with budweiser for 2010 and its safe to assume they will in the futute (with budweiser, or someone else).

Not sure, Im not a lawyer and not familar in Qatar law, but I would have a guess and say that the goverment could introduce any law they wanted as long as it wasn't against human rights.

there is no way fifa can justify a world cup in qatar other than a $$$ grab.

Correct, which is why they could do it.

Qatar's bid has its issue's but all these issue's can be solved, and they can be solved without putting Qatar in debt.

In my opinion the 2022 world cup should go to USA, Australia should rebid in 2030-2034.

LOLOLOLOL

Cannot stop laughing at this thread

I just got back from South Africa. I happened to be staying at the same hotel as the ex-chairman of the USA FA. I didn't know who he was, just got started talking to him one day in the lobby and he mentioned how he had sat in on the Crawford Report into Australian Football. He said the only way Qatar will get the gig is if they build 12 stadiums underground. Not going to happen.

Quote from him 'It's you guys or us for 2022'.

I wonder when Barkly might go a little further into the realm of absurdity, and post a "Hutt River Province has 2022 in the bag" thread... :p

LOLOLOLOL

I just got back from South Africa. I happened to be staying at the same hotel as the ex-chairman of the USA FA. I didn't know who he was, just got started talking to him one day in the lobby and he mentioned how he had sat in on the Crawford Report into Australian Football. He said the only way Qatar will get the gig is if they build 12 stadiums underground. Not going to happen.

I would have thought so, but i've thought that since day 1. For some reason others are rating them as a chance.

And it doesn't really matter what he ex chairman of some American soccer organisation thinks. It's what he FIFA executive thinks. There must be at least some of them voting for Qatar. Why? Bigger pearl necklaces given to their wives?

LOLOLOLOL

That would have been sick if true.

Ive been in London since last week and my stop-over on the way here happened to be in Doha, Qatar.

40 degrees at 6am in the morning when I was there and absolutely nothing to do except attempting to keep cool. If the world cup ends up there it will be an absolute farce for both the players in the heat, and the supporters having to find enough to entertain them outside of matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought so, but i've thought that since day 1. For some reason others are rating them as a chance.

And it doesn't really matter what he ex chairman of some American soccer organisation thinks. It's what he FIFA executive thinks. There must be at least some of them voting for Qatar. Why? Bigger pearl necklaces given to their wives?

What sort of pear necklaces are you talking about :)

And it doesn't really matter what he ex chairman of some American soccer organisation thinks. It's what he FIFA executive thinks.

100% agree. But I am also not going to believe that a Rugby Union journalist from Sydney, has an inside source at FIFA.

Bookies are all over the shop.

One agency had Qatar paying $8 a few days ago, where another had them at $1.75.

TBH I don't think anyone really knows which way the cup voting will go, for either bid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qatar has 2022 in the bag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back