Queensland now an AFL State

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL smashes NRL Footy Show in it's time slot in Brisbane...and then some.
The evidence mounts.

4 SEVEN'S AFL: RND 2: BRISBANE VS CARLTON Seven 928,000
S-33,000 M-515,000 BRISBANE- 131,000 (average 8.30pm-11.30pm audience, 1hr delay) A- 153,000 P- 96,000
33 THE NRL FOOTY SHOW Nine 306,000 S- 214,000 not shown
BRISBANE- 92,000 not shown not shown

So i take it their was no NRL games on TV.

QLD is still a growing/developing AFL state and not a AFL state.

Put simply QLD is far more accepting of Australian rules footy than NSW north of Wagga.

Grass roots footy is far more advanced around Brisbane/GC/SC and regional QLD in comparison to Sydney/Northern NSW.

The local Brisbane seniors comp is of quite a good standard and fairly well promoted, NT has a side in it and there has been talk of a East coast league starting up incorporating some QLD, NSW, ACT and NT teams in it.

All in all QLD footy is looking good, but as for QLD being a AFL state,..... well not yet, but maybe one day.

I lived in Toowoomba for a few years and my mum and sister live in Queensland. While NRL is probably the number 1 sport AFL isn't that far behind. Most of the people I knew had an interest in AFL. I played in the Darling Downs AFL which was a thriving competition encompassing Toowoomba and the surrounding region. I played for Coolaroo which wore Carlton jumpers and used the Collingwood theme song.:eek:

Mostly mexicans up here follow AFL, or older families with young kids that play the game.
But virtually every local born and raised Queenslander over the age of 30 absolutely 100%
refuses to acknowledge AFL exists. It is so predictable. They won't even turn it on to see
if they like it. It has been that way for years. Bum sniffers game still well and truly number 1
at the moment, and Qld is probably the heartland of League nowadays (with Western Sydney).

Make no mistake they believe they are at war with AFL! Like it is some secret pact to refuse
to acknowledge the game exists. This generation is lost to AFL, it will be 15 years+ before AFL
can be on a level playing field with League.

At my work the split is about 5/5 each code. All AFL fans watch and compete in League tipping comps.
All league fans say AFL is aerial ping pong and shit, gay and flat out refuse to watch it, discuss it.

League gets a big free kick courtesy of having NRL forced down our throats on Foxtel/Austar/Print
Media which all have a big stake in the game, and a generation of locals that have closed ranks and
refuse to acknowledge THE OTHER code.

I have to note, the Lions signing Brendan Fevola is a publicity dream made in heaven for AFL in Queensland.

Yes, Fev is a major ******** and his behaviour at the Brownlow was bad news, but in the long term Fev leaving Carlton for Queensland is simply the best outcome you could have imagined.

Even the Fevola story today about the Lions first day of training is the 3rd most popular story on the Courier Mail web site, Queenslands most read web and visited web site.

AFL mania is well and trully alive in Brisbane and Queensland!
You could almost now say Queensland is an AFL State.:thumbsu:

Glad you put in the word "almost" since it stops your post being silly. I know you are deliberately exaggerating but no AFL is far behind RL in Qland but so what? The Lions are doing fine, better than fine. That is what matters to AFL fans up there and good luck to the RL people as well.

Bum sniffers game still well and truly number 1

You poor ignorant man . In QLD and NSW especially by far the most dominant participation sport is soccer . If you want to be at war with someone soccer is your obvious choice . Of course rl is still dominant in the professional arena but you're the one who refuses to see how far AFL has come , the six years that the Lions outdrew the Broncos amd look like returning to that this year and the fact that junior registrations are really up there mainly because Australian Football has always existed in QLD in a league stronger than NSW .
With Fev and Brown playing you better get used to sharing the limelight for a while .

.:eek:

Mostly mexicans up here follow AFL, or older families with young kids that play the game.
But virtually every local born and raised Queenslander over the age of 30 absolutely 100%
refuses to acknowledge AFL exists. It is so predictable. They won't even turn it on to see
if they like it. It has been that way for years. Bum sniffers game still well and truly number 1
at the moment, and Qld is probably the heartland of League nowadays (with Western Sydney).

Make no mistake they believe they are at war with AFL! Like it is some secret pact to refuse
to acknowledge the game exists. This generation is lost to AFL, it will be 15 years+ before AFL
can be on a level playing field with League.

At my work the split is about 5/5 each code. All AFL fans watch and compete in League tipping comps.
All league fans say AFL is aerial ping pong and shit, gay and flat out refuse to watch it, discuss it.

League gets a big free kick courtesy of having NRL forced down our throats on Foxtel/Austar/Print
Media which all have a big stake in the game, and a generation of locals that have closed ranks and
refuse to acknowledge THE OTHER code.
Sounds like Melbourne and rugby league.

If you go on the streets of Brisbane and ask random people to name as many Brisbane players as possible....

They will answer - Fev and ??????? Kevin Sheedy? Really struggling there.

Not at all.

Melbournians, are at worse indifferent to Rugby League. We certainly don't feel we are war or won’t acknowledge its existence, even if we know little about the game and refer to it as just rugby. The overriding attitude here is whatever floats your boat.

It seems that people north of the Murrumbidgee like to see us Melbournians as at war and ridiculing Rugby League at every turn, to justify their own irrational hate for Aussie Rules. Sorry, cause most of us don't give a $hit

Hoops said:
Melbournians, are at worse indifferent to Rugby League. We certainly don't feel we are war or won’t acknowledge its existence, even if we know little about the game and refer to it as just rugby. The overriding attitude here is whatever floats your boat.

Calling it "rugby" is fine. The Poms do that too, so it's not something which is solely the bastion of the uneducated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't met anyone in Melbourne who is hostile to league, if it ever comes up most people seem fairly ambivalent about it . Personally I think it is a much better game than it used to be. So no Melbourne isn't like Queensland and in fact the outright hostility that many Queenslanders have to Australian Football makes me think that AR is making great progress up there, otherwise, why would they be so worried?

tonk said:
I haven't met anyone in Melbourne who is hostile to league, if it ever comes up most people seem fairly ambivalent about it .

I've met more than a few.

tonk said:
Personally I think it is a much better game than it used to be. So no Melbourne isn't like Queensland and in fact the outright hostility that many Queenslanders have to Australian Football makes me think that AR is making great progress up there, otherwise, why would they be so worried?

I've only ever been to Queensland once, but there seems to be a much more open minded attitude to most sports up there.

One of the Rugby league dominated colleges up there recently won a Union 7 a side tournament and an Aussie Rules 9 a side competition.

http://keebraparkrugbyleague.com.au/headlines/headlineGC-AFL-Final_end3-3-10.asp

Good crowds for the Broncos and the Lions, heck even the Reds. TV ratings seem better across the board too. There are bound to be some people who have their heads stuck in the sand, but that's true anywhere.

The issue is clearly with Sydney where Aussie Rules faces its true "battle" LoL

131,000 for a 3 hour average when the game is on delay is a very good result for the AFL in QLD. To beat the NRL Footy show is great, maybe if Ch 9 put the Iron Chef up against the footy they would have stood a chance :p

Of course Qld is not an AFL state, but it surely represents a solid niche for the game and shows why having a truly National competition adds value.

The decline in ratings was always connected to on field performance and always likely to rebound once the fortunes of the team turned around (as it did in 2009) and the Fev factor kicked in.

Any newbies got to see Jono Brown in fine form.

The entry of the Gold Coast, particularly if they manage to get Ablett combined with the interest in Karmichael Hunt will surely the make the first match of 2011 Bris v GC a ratings bonanza.

GC can help take AFL footy to the next level in QLD, it does not have to be bigger than the NRL to be a success. A strong no 2 in QLD in front of rugby and soccer is a very good position for the game.

will be an interesting year. if the Lions keep winning, and the Broncos keep losing (and they have been badly so far this season) then there might be a slight swing............but that's all it'll be. When SOO tix go on sale, they'll last all but 5 mins for the Lang Park match.

People thinking that over a century and generations of football culture will be wiped out in a couple of years are dreaming. If any of QLD or NSW are to become Australian Rules states, it'll take at least another 50 years to happen. if it either did, QLD would definately turn first. the codes infrastructure up there is more advanced than it is across the border................and dont those VICS just love relocating to SE QLD!

131,000. A good result, you are joking.

Don't people, outside of Mexico, have televisions?
You can't do more than win your time slot

Ch9 - The mentalist + The footy show. = 125.2K average (Night Line not in Aust top 30)
Ch 10 - so you think you can Dance x.5 + Law & Order SVU + Medium = 133.2K Average (Ten Late News with sports tonight not in Aust top 30, but would of required an audience of 120k to knock off the AFL overall)

will be an interesting year. if the Lions keep winning, and the Broncos keep losing (and they have been badly so far this season) then there might be a slight swing............but that's all it'll be. When SOO tix go on sale, they'll last all but 5 mins for the Lang Park match.

Read in the Sydney Telecrap that the came and went in about quarter of an hour some time back in March. Still, there's a difference between the Queensland bandwagoners and those willing to put in the effort and be a member for an entire season and not just a single game in Brisbane. And the Lions are winning that fight hands down. They've got 25,000 members to the Broncos, what? 4,000? 5,000?

People thinking that over a century and generations of football culture will be wiped out in a couple of years are dreaming. If any of QLD or NSW are to become Australian Rules states, it'll take at least another 50 years to happen. if it either did, QLD would definately turn first. the codes infrastructure up there is more advanced than it is across the border................and dont those VICS just love relocating to SE QLD!

It hasn't just been a couple of years, though. Brisbane people stopped following their local rugby league teams a couple of decades ago. Broncos support is soft, and their numbers will definitely be below the Lions this year. The Lions on the other hand are selling out the Gabba pretty much every week and their membership numbers are strong and growing. I'd say once GC17 is there, we're looking at about five years. Max.

Sure people might watch Brissy or GWS games but no one watches AFL games that do not involve those teams. So really there is a huge way to go.

To say, people watched a Lions game means very little.

Very few Victorians would watch a match between Port and Freo.

Ergo, Victoria is no longer an Australian Football stronghold.

lekkerbelangrijk-oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Most of my mates watch all 8 games, no matter who is playing each week and they know all the Freo players back to front.

They need to start watching non-Brisbane participation games before AFL has a foothold.

"has a foothold" :eek:.
When Queenslanders watch more non-Lions then the cycle will be complete .

The strong tradition remains rugby.

Yes , but rl is living off that fat .
As dominant as AR is outside of QLD and NSW soccer is dominant in QLD and NSW when it comes to participation .
All it takes is one generation to lose tradition .

Maybe all it takes is one good Lions VS GCFC rivalry for AR .

"has a foothold" :eek:.
When Queenslanders watch more non-Lions then the cycle will be complete .

Yes , but rl is living off that fat .
As dominant as AR is outside of QLD and NSW soccer is dominant in QLD and NSW when it comes to participation .
All it takes is one generation to lose tradition .

Maybe all it takes is one good Lions VS GCFC rivalry for AR .

Yep.

No way do all AFL fans watch every game, mostly it will be the fans of the two teams competing and then some neutrals.

The AFL Grand Final had rating of 1.5M in Melbourne - that is when all AFL fans are watching and then some.

It is the nature of sport support and parochialism and it is why the AFL are putting a second team each into NSW and QLD it creates derbies and in the long run more fans who will watch other AFL games.

Ratigns are taken as average not the peak which would be much higher as fans of other teams check in to see the score. Over a 3 hour game this reduces the average ratings further, but the peak shows interest as well. :footy:

To suggest that Qld is an AFL state is folly. It is though, without doubt, a state with a very keen interest in AFL. The QAFL (under a different name, obviously) first started in 1904.

Most everybody has a passing interest in it. I work with a bloke that played Rugby League State of Origin for Qld, played for Australia, and was a member of the 1998 Rugby League premiers Manly - he loves his League, but he also follows AFL closely (he's a Carlton boy!).

It has a sure and steady foothold, but it certainly doesn't compete with Rugby...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back