Queensland now an AFL State

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Game is not the problem. Its the association of the game as 'Victorian'. As I've said before, the AFL act as an extension of the old VFL. Selfish, Vic-centric. More inclined to protect their own Melbourne suburban clubs. Non Vics can see this, its that obvious. So forget the Australian rules versus northern anything. Its the VFL attitude thats the problem.

My experience here in Qld & this is based on having lived here for 18 of the last 23 years, is that there are not too many people from Generation X & Y who would even be aware of the AFL being an extension of what was previously the VFL. Many have only become aware of the game since the mid'90s or, in some cases, since the success of the Lions earlier this decade & have no clue of the game's origins or who runs the game.

My experience here in Qld & this is based on having lived here for 18 of the last 23 years, is that there are not too many people from Generation X & Y who would even be aware of the AFL being an extension of what was previously the VFL. Many have only become aware of the game since the mid'90s or, in some cases, since the success of the Lions earlier this decade & have no clue of the game's origins or who runs the game.

I think you are right on the money with this post.

Just to relate what I found a somewhat "surprising" story I heard over christmas from a mate who came down to Canberra for Christmas day.
He is a very good,long term friend of mine and is the manager of several large "clubs" 2 on the Gold Coast and a couple up further North. He in turn trained under another very good friend who manages several very high profile football clubs of another code mainly in Brisbane but as far North as Townsville.

During our discussion re: AFL in QLD the first friend volunteered the fact that at the two Gold Coast clubs, the majority of TV's are tuned to AFL when it is on at the request of the vast majority of patrons.
I found this quite surprising.:thumbsu:

Later in the day we rang the second friend who was in Brasbane. He confirmed that the clubs in Brisbane also had a majority of TV's tuned to AFL when games were on. Townsville, in both cases, most TV's were tuned to Rugby League even though the clubs are Rugby Union Clubs, but in all club managed by both friends at least 2 TV's were on AFL when games were on.

As I said earlier, I was very surprised at this given the rhetoric I read on LU etc.

Also, on the subject, the Bowling Club at Lennox Head also has the majority of TV's on the AFL!!!

You're taking the piss surely? No one could possibly be that insecure and still manage to function in society.

It's that sort of attitude that does no favours for the push into League territory. If we want to make real headway up north we should be aiming to be the 2nd favourite sport of every League fan - not telling them they can only support one or the other. Because if you market it as 'us against them' it's obvious which they will choose and which they will see as the enemy.

Good post.

Not to let stats ruin a good arguement, 36% of QLDs watched an NRL game (excluding State of Origin) and 23% watched an AFL game in 2009

Nationally 36% of Australian's watched an AFL game on FTA, 22% NRL, AFL was watched by more people on Pay TV in 2009 as well

Cheers

Not to let stats ruin a good arguement, 36% of QLDs watched an NRL game (excluding State of Origin) and 23% watched an AFL game in 2009

Nationally 36% of Australian's watched an AFL game on FTA, 22% NRL, AFL was watched by more people on Pay TV in 2009 as well

Cheers

Which bit of the argument is being ruined?

I would of thought 23% in Qld for aussie rules, vs 36% for League, is actually pretty good (the differential would be larger in NSW).

Also, where is your source that says AFL was watched by more people on Pay TV - everything we keep hearing is thta more watch League on Pay TV?

Forget facts anf figures.... with the amount of money the AFL is pumping into QLD, its not surprising that AFL will soon be on par with Rugby League... especially at a grassroots level...

Forget facts anf figures.... with the amount of money the AFL is pumping into QLD, its not surprising that AFL will soon be on par with Rugby League... especially at a grassroots level...

Yeah, but that's not the end of the story.

Money can't buy culture, but it can certainly help nurture and grow it when applied to the right areas.

QLD has a unique culture in that it is the only state to have ever switched allegiances in history. Right up until the 50's-60's, AR was king. It was only after that point where RL really started to ramp up it's popularity, due mostly because back then the game had a much better governing system. But while AR gradually went into remission, troughing perhaps in the 80's before making a gradual resurgance through the 90's and coming to a head in the 00's, it already had an AR presense, culture and history from that era in which to build upon.

NSW however is a different case. The AFL was also very popular in Sydney and what today would encompass the true 'Rugby League Heartland', the strip of coast north of Sydney encompassing Newcastle, at the turn of last century. (The Black Diamond footy league encompassed this area and was the oldest footy league in the country untill it merged sometime in the 90's from memory, just to give an indication that it was as strong there as anywhere else). However, AR largley died out there in the early decades of the 1900's. RU conducted an organised assasination attempt of both AR and RL during this period. (Things like high-level political influence form polioticians and organisations to ensure policies that worked out in their favour at the expense of these two sports, such as banning them from a hell of a lot of recreation reserves and schools). In fact, both sports actually teamed up together to fight for their own survival in a way that might shock some people to read about given where the sports are now. I reccomend looking at this period if anyone is interested in this kind of history.

However, ultimatley RU was successful at strangeling AR from Sydney, wule RL lived on to eventually turn the tide. History is writted by the victor, and knowadays Sydneysiders remember that war as only being between RL and RU, and as a result their AR history and culture has practically faded and so there was little to build upon. There is no bridge between now and then, in other words.

The AFL has been pouring money in NSW like there is no tomorrow for a long time now, and while there have been gains and the game is as strong there as it has been for a long time, it has been nowhere near as effective as it was in QLD for that reason. It will take a long time and a lot of continuing trial and error for AR to continue to build.

Cheers

LOL Source please...
My sources tell me the NRL has over 60 of the top 100 programs on Pay TV

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/10/19/pay-tvs-biggest-nightmare-is-go/
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26019645-23214,00.html
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-to-push-for-more-tv-money-20091123-j1jl.html

This is my favourite part "AFL matches were only 10 of the top-100 programs" AND "Rugby league has also continued its popularity on pay television, seizing 15 of the top 20 most popular programs last year, while the AFL's most watched game came in 26th".:thumbsu:

Yeah, but that's not the end of the story.

Money can't buy culture, but it can certainly help nurture and grow it when applied to the right areas.

QLD has a unique culture in that it is the only state to have ever switched allegiances in history. Right up until the 50's-60's, AR was king. It was only after that point where RL really started to ramp up it's popularity, due mostly because back then the game had a much better governing system. But while AR gradually went into remission, troughing perhaps in the 80's before making a gradual resurgance through the 90's and coming to a head in the 00's, it already had an AR presense, culture and history from that era in which to build upon.

OMG, you really believe this tripe?

NSW however is a different case. The AFL was also very popular in Sydney and what today would encompass the true 'Rugby League Heartland', the strip of coast north of Sydney encompassing Newcastle, at the turn of last century. (The Black Diamond footy league encompassed this area and was the oldest footy league in the country untill it merged sometime in the 90's from memory, just to give an indication that it was as strong there as anywhere else). However, AR largley died out there in the early decades of the 1900's. RU conducted an organised assasination attempt of both AR and RL during this period. (Things like high-level political influence form polioticians and organisations to ensure policies that worked out in their favour at the expense of these two sports, such as banning them from a hell of a lot of recreation reserves and schools). In fact, both sports actually teamed up together to fight for their own survival in a way that might shock some people to read about given where the sports are now. I reccomend looking at this period if anyone is interested in this kind of history.

Proof please.

I want to see you prove that union tried to kill both codes in Newcastle and I want proof of AR's popularity in both Sydney and Newcastle, my god some people post some garbage.

However, ultimatley RU was successful at strangeling AR from Sydney, wule RL lived on to eventually turn the tide. History is writted by the victor, and knowadays Sydneysiders remember that war as only being between RL and RU, and as a result their AR history and culture has practically faded and so there was little to build upon. There is no bridge between now and then, in other words.

BS.

Even the old newspaper clippings from back then showed RL was the dominate code.

The AFL has been pouring money in NSW like there is no tomorrow for a long time now, and while there have been gains and the game is as strong there as it has been for a long time, it has been nowhere near as effective as it was in QLD for that reason. It will take a long time and a lot of continuing trial and error for AR to continue to build.

Never going to happen.

lol, you think the AFL with its 100k at most ratings puts it only 13% behind RL?

Haha, with the top 60 programs on Pay TV being dominated by RL and RL actually having more games on Pay TV, I can't see how you can state this with a straight face.

Yeah, I reckon you should give it a break for a while, too much drinking @@@@s your braincells.

LOL Source please...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-to-push-for-more-tv-money-20091123-j1jl.html

This is my favourite part "AFL matches were only 10 of the top-100 programs" AND "Rugby league has also continued its popularity on pay television, seizing 15 of the top 20 most popular programs last year, while the AFL's most watched game came in 26th".:thumbsu:

That's peak viewing - who cares, it volume that matters totally far more people watched AFL on PAy TV and FTA. Source is Roy Morgan

Guys - it's an interesting topic - please put up your links and sources without the abuse.

I've heard this once before about the difference between peak viewing and volume - but I can't honestly say I understand it completely.

But it might run something like this:

1. AFL game goes for 2 hours, viewing time of around 165 minutes, with sets coming and going over that three hour period; and
2. that volume might be greater than League's viewing time of 100 minutes, even if League has the higher peak virtually every time.

Thoughts?

OMG, you really believe this tripe?

Hello insecure League troll. I'm sure you will lead to fulfilling discussions.

Proof please.

I want to see you prove that union tried to kill both codes in Newcastle and I want proof of AR's popularity in both Sydney and Newcastle, my god some people post some garbage.

Just read up on the history if you are interested. I'm not going to thoroughly research the topic for you though as its clear you are here to troll and not to learn and share knowedge. It would be a waste of my time.

In other words, I don't give a shit that you want proof.

BS.

Even the old newspaper clippings from back then showed RL was the dominate code.

I never claimed otherwise. I claimed that it had a healthy presense and was an accepted part of the city's culture in the late 1800's-early 1900's. I never claimed it was 'dominant' compare dot the rugby codes.

And you say I speak shit.

Never going to happen.
Whats not goign to happen? I'm sorry I don;t think you even know what you are saying. The AFL spending money in NSW to grow from the base is 'never goign to happen'?

It has, is and will. I never made any glaims that the game will take over RL as the number 1 sport. I don't see how your comment in any way fits the quote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's peak viewing - who cares, it volume that matters totally far more people watched AFL on PAy TV and FTA. Source is Roy Morgan

No it's how many people tuned into the program (Average)...

To the guy who said AFL was King in QLD until 1950-1960 HAHAHAHAHAHA... Keep up the jokes!

I honestly wonder whether some of the league fans on here actually read the posts or wheter they just kinda skim over them and fill in the blanks with whatever they think is easiest to argue.

LOL I honestly wonder whether some AFL fans on here actually believe the crap that is written here like.... QLD is an AFL state, more then a few sydneysiders and ex Victorians actually give a toss about AFL in Sydney, AFL outrates NRL on pay tv, RL is dying etc.

LOL I honestly wonder whether some AFL fans on here actually believe the crap that is written here like.... QLD is an AFL state, more then a few sydneysiders and ex Victorians actually give a toss about AFL in Sydney, AFL outrates NRL on pay tv, RL is dying etc.

Has anyone said RL is dying?

The NRL had an outstanding season on the field in 2009 (not so good off the field).

Given the amount that your mob likes to go on about how much stronger league is getting in Victoria, one would think you'd be more accepting of overenthusiasm about a games growth. How many Victorian born and bred players are there in the NRL again?

LOL Source please...

That's a measure of average audiences over the full length of the program, which is not a definitive indicator of how many people watched, or in industry speak - 'audience reach'. These figures are published by ASTRA on a weekly basis.

To demonstrate my point, look at the week ending August 31 (basically the last week of full rounds for both codes). The top 9 rating programs by average audience were the 5 NRL and 4 AFL games.

The first column is average audience, the 2nd is audience reach.

1 LIVE: NRL TITANS V WESTS TIGERS 282 537
2 LIVE: NRL RABBITOHS V DRAGONS 265 551
3 LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V ESSENDON 232 638
4 LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V ROOSTERS 227 535
5 LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V BRISBANE LIONS 190 695
6 LIVE: AFL CARLTON V ADELAIDE 175 526
7 LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V NORTH MELBOURNE 173 454
8 LIVE: NRL TITANS V SHARKS 146 345
9 NRL STORM V ROOSTERS 145 417

On average audience, the NRL had the top 2 rating programs (282k and 265k), and 3 of the top 4. Yet the reality is that the most watched programs were AFL programs, with 695k and 638k respectively.

Consequently it would not be at all surprising if AFL was the most watched sporting league on pay TV. But i'm sure trolls like your good self will continue to deny it.

That's a measure of average audiences over the full length of the program, which is not a definitive indicator of how many people watched, or in industry speak - 'audience reach'. These figures are published by ASTRA on a weekly basis.

To demonstrate my point, look at the week ending August 31 (basically the last week of full rounds for both codes). The top 9 rating programs by average audience were the 5 NRL and 4 AFL games.

The first column is average audience, the 2nd is audience reach.

1 LIVE: NRL TITANS V WESTS TIGERS 282 537
2 LIVE: NRL RABBITOHS V DRAGONS 265 551
3 LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V ESSENDON 232 638
4 LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V ROOSTERS 227 535
5 LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V BRISBANE LIONS 190 695
6 LIVE: AFL CARLTON V ADELAIDE 175 526
7 LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V NORTH MELBOURNE 173 454
8 LIVE: NRL TITANS V SHARKS 146 345
9 NRL STORM V ROOSTERS 145 417

On average audience, the NRL had the top 2 rating programs (282k and 265k), and 3 of the top 4. Yet the reality is that the most watched programs were AFL programs, with 695k and 638k respectively.

Consequently it would not be at all surprising if AFL was the most watched sporting league on pay TV. But i'm sure trolls like your good self will continue to deny it.

Yep and the reason for that is that Pay TV AFL matches are largely on at the same time as matches on FTA. I know I flick between the two depending on which one takes my fancy and I bet many AFL fans do the same - it's this choice which drives so much subscription for Pay TV. This doesn't happen in the NRL given their scheduling and shorter matches. Pay TV is driven not by advertising (which produces little revenue) but by subscription numbers. The "reach" figures are an excellent indication of why persons choose to subscribe to Foxtel or Austar and of the commercial worth of the AFL rights for them. Average ratings do not mean anywhere near as much as they do for FTA in terms of commericial worth. Of course all of these figures do not include regional WA and SA (about 750k Australians) who are overwhelmingly AFL fans but who in reality do get taken into account in negotiations.

AFL smashes NRL Footy Show in it's time slot in Brisbane...and then some.
The evidence mounts.

4 SEVEN'S AFL: RND 2: BRISBANE VS CARLTON Seven 928,000
S-33,000 M-515,000 BRISBANE- 131,000 (average 8.30pm-11.30pm audience, 1hr delay) A- 153,000 P- 96,000
33 THE NRL FOOTY SHOW Nine 306,000 S- 214,000 not shown
BRISBANE- 92,000 not shown not shown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back