Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

They do seem to care on some occasions. Harley Reid's suspension was upgraded from 1 game (which most bad tackles that don't result in a concussion get) to 2 games based on the fact that the action had the potential to injure.
Then it doesn't get applied to things like the Hipwood incident where there is definitely the potential to injure but doesn't get that loading added for some reason.
Seems to depend on if the AFL wnat you to miss games or not. As any incident worth a fine probably has the potential to injure and should be upgraded to 1 game.
Harley Reid's tackle forced the opponent from the ground for assessment. That puts it straight into medium/high impact.
That's not having its imapct increased because of potential to cause injury.

Harley Reid's tackle forced the opponent from the ground for assessment. That puts it straight into medium/high impact.
That's not having its imapct increased because of potential to cause injury.
At the tribunal they added the potential to injury. Also had it been medium like other tackles he misses 1 week not 2. That’s what the Eagles argued.
He was cleared and played out the game.
All dangerous tackles where the players head hits the ground have been 1 weekers. What made Reid’s 2 was the assertion not mentioned in other hearings of the potential for significant injury.
Wilsons arms were free during the tackle.

“The AFL's assertion the nature of the tackle — to lift, rotate and sling Wilson backwards onto the ground — had the potential to cause a serious head or neck injury was accepted, maintaining Wilson was "lucky" he landed the way he did.”
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-04/west-coast-eagles-harley-reid-suspension-upheld/103935782#

Could the above not apply to any tackle with that motion that gets a 1 game suspension? Look at Scrimshaws against StKilda earlier in the year. Head hits the ground arms pinned 2 motions = 1 week.
Look at Rowbottoms from Sydney a couple of weeks ago not even cited.

The free against Mac Andrew for “time delay” tonight has to be up there.

I can’t hear a whistle before he kicks it in the first place.
I am certain the umpires don't actually know the rules.

I am certain the umpires don't actually know the rules.

clear examples this weekend of an umpire overturning a decision by the ump closer to the play… that sums it up

Ruck infringements are a blight on the game. There are at least 6-10 a game, most of them the commentary and spectators alike have no idea whos free kick it is. Add in the odd maggot who signals the wrong way, and you have a right royal ****fest when both teams run in the wrong direction.

The game is suffering immensely with current umpiring imo

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ruck infringements are a blight on the game. There are at least 6-10 a game, most of them the commentary and spectators alike have no idea whos free kick it is. Add in the odd maggot who signals the wrong way, and you have a right royal ****fest when both teams run in the wrong direction.

Indeed … they need to crack down on Xerri’s tactics

clear examples this weekend of an umpire overturning a decision by the ump closer to the play… that sums it up
Happened twice in our game in the first half.

Blatant free kicks against GC and the officiating umpire standing 3 metres away ignored them. Was overruled twice by the bloke 30 metres away.

It happens - on the weekend an umpire i was officiating with was in perfect position 20 metres away side on and had his vision blocked by players - i was 80 metres away and paid the free as the player in possession had his head taken off - we/they will never get them all right but seriously some of the posting in here about umpires not knowing the rules is just rubbish

Round 1:

Briggs 4 free against, Xerri 4 frees for

Seriously though, let the big fellas go at it.

That’s why they need to crack down on him …. He’s been allowed to use illegal tactics …. That’s wasn’t the burn you were hoping for

Umps are soft on north for obvious reasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of them are also usually after a shit bounce by the umpire.

That’s why they need to crack down on him …. He’s been allowed to use illegal tactics …. That’s wasn’t the burn you were hoping for

Umps are soft on north for obvious reasons
And they’re mandated to go exceptionally hard on us.

How many free kick counts have we won all year?

Every year they do their best to officiate us out of the game so as to protect the VFL sensibilities.

It happens - on the weekend an umpire i was officiating with was in perfect position 20 metres away side on and had his vision blocked by players - i was 80 metres away and paid the free as the player in possession had his head taken off - we/they will never get them all right but seriously some of the posting in here about umpires not knowing the rules is just rubbish

Watching after the game with that roving chat-bot Taylor after the Dogs-Dees game on Friday, he went into the umps room and asked Stevic a few questions, which Stevic replied that having 4 umps makes it easier for them. I would say that is debatable on the basis that it's not that the umpires dont know the rules, more the issue is that having that many on field makes it more difficult to be consistent in applying the rules.

Watching after the game with that roving chat-bot Taylor after the Dogs-Dees game on Friday, he went into the umps room and asked Stevic a few questions, which Stevic replied that having 4 umps makes it easier for them. I would say that is debatable on the basis that it's not that the umpires dont know the rules, more the issue is that having that many on field makes it more difficult to be consistent in applying the rules.
Had the pleasure of having Stevic in for a session not too long ago.

What i am saying here are my words not his but;

On TV he’s always going to say the right thing from an AFL point of view

The reasoning he gave us was that it was more to do with longevity and scaling up the pool of AFL umpires and to include female umpires and I’m inclined to go with that reason. But you are unlikely to hear that in AFL releases.

During Covid they lost two years of development for lower level umpires. You dont get to be a proficient umpire at any level without actually doing games and there is a limit to how many you can do at the required intensity to test your decision making, positioning, running and game control.

From my point of view running 3’s is perfect - but for consistency 2’s are better again, but we don’t always/cannot get to the right spots to make the right calls because of the speed of the game so 3 is the right number.

4 is an abomination.

I find it weird that this is a metric of victory.
Rightly or wrongly teams up the pointy end get more favourable decisions than those lower on the ladder.

Especially in the 2 codes I watch a lot, AFL & NRL.

Except the Giants. They’re ALWAYS on the wrong side of the blatant umpiring errors and free kick counts.

We’ve had a positive FK differential I think in 3 years out of 12.

You can’t tell me that there isn’t an agenda from AFL house to blatantly officiate our games to the detriment of the club to pander to VFL sensitivities.

I mean you can try to tell me, but I won’t listen.

Last edited:

Plus you end up with them on top of each other and overruling each other all the time.

Take Saturday night when Cox takes a mark, Collingwood hater Gorman on one side of the contest calls play on and the umpire on the other side correctly calls the mark.

Rightly or wrongly teams up the pointy end get more favourable decisions than those loser on the ladder.

Especially in the 2 codes I watch a lot, AFL & NRL.

Except the Giants. They’re ALWAYS on the wrong side of the blatant umpiring errors and free kick counts.

We’ve had a positive FK differential I think in 3 years out of 12.

You can’t tell me that there isn’t an agenda from AFL house to blatantly officiate our games to the detriment of the club to pander to VFL sensitivities.

I mean you can try to tell me, but I won’t listen.

Well you could then look at ‘VFL’ powerhouses Brisbane and Gold Coast who are leading the free kick differential for the season but that blows your VFL argument out of the water…

Well you could then look at ‘VFL’ powerhouses Brisbane and Gold Coast who are leading the free kick differential for the season but that blows your VFL argument out of the water…
Strengthens my argument.

Team at the top (Brisbane getting run of the green)

Gold Coast - they have never ever been pushed against as hard as what the Giants have from the VFL media - Eddie McGuire being chief agitator circa 2014-2018

The agenda is clear against us.

Ostriches choose to stipulate otherwise.

From my point of view running 3’s is perfect - but for consistency 2’s are better again,

With the amount of cameras at each ground do we need 4 on the field? You could have the 4th umpire as an off field overseing role. Passing on advice or feedback for decisions made on field

You could argue the days when Cameron and James were umpiring were good when it was 2 umps, no BS umpires who made decisions and stuck by them. Then in the 90’s there were Sawers , McBerney, Goldspink, Sheehan who were all capable umpires.

The factor impacting umpire now that didn’t back them were the constant rule changes, introduction of rules such as the 6-6-6 and constant tweaking of rules that had worked before. How in that time it became difficult to apply basic rules such as incorrect disposal, HTB, dropping the ball is where today’s grievances are IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back