Preview R23, 2022 – Showdown LII (Robbie Gray Farewell)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
What to say when there's nothing else to be said?
This is the sixth season in which I have the honor to write the last match preview of the Minor Round. It's the third time that it's also the last match preview of the season (also in 2018 and 2019). Since 2017, to mark the end of the H&A, I have written jokes and parodies; and also a letter and a dialogue.

Here, the links for my previous works:

When the AFL presented us with a clash against West Lakes in Round 23, I confess that I was happy. Little did I know back then that I would be writing about the "Showdown of Shame." There have been FIFTY-ONE Showdowns before this one, and few have been as sad. I could actually find only TWO – Showdowns VIII (2000, R22) and XXXI (2011, R19). Now, I'm wondering whether there's a sort of 11-year cycle to it!

Port is 11th (9 wins). West Lakes is 14th (8 wins). Neither can qualify for the Finals.
Both teams share the same record against the Top-12 teams this season: 4 wins and 10 losses.
The difference between Port and its main rival is the record against the Bottom-6. We are 5-2, while they are 4-3. That's all.

However, only Port had high expectations when the season started. West Lakes may be worried that they haven't seen signs of improvement, but their overall result is on par with the level is which they were supposed to be. The club that single-handedly made this Showdown a "Showdown of Shame" is Port.

Robbie Gray is retiring in a meaningless Showdown because of Port.

And I am supposed to write about it!?

I won't...

I will let you all do the talking this time.

---

P.S.: We all already knew that the season would end up like this after Round 3 (Showdown LI). We had lost to Hawthorn by 64 points (Russell Ebert Memorial) at home. Then, we lost to West Lakes for an Owen Thriey start. I could haven't written this preview already then. But I decided to not write it just now.

---

P.P.S.: A "Showdown of Shame," Mr. Koch. See that? Shame! Now, it's your image that's at stake; not, mine. Odds are that things will get worse from here now. Perhaps, it's time to cut your losses and leave. I think that you should at least think about it.

Last edited:
It's a shame we have to attach us playing a game to Robbie's farewell - should be a ticker tape parade instead so we can go home contented.

We will want to better than we were in R3, but I don't think we will be. Be way cool if Robbie got the medal.

Crows by probably not much, after another one of their players I've never heard of kicks 5.

Friendly reminder that we were >3 goals up halfway through the final term in round 3, and let them kick the last 4 goals to win, with important set shots missed inexplicably and a tank from Lachlan Murphy.

Since last match:

IN: Dixon, Aliir, Gray, Finlayson, Bergman, Duursma, Burgoyne

OUT: Mayes, Skinner, Jones, Motlop, McKenzie, Lycett, Frederick

We're going to **** them up.

Adelaide's strategy in Showdowns since they got walloped in 2020 is to turn these games into a slog. It looks like it will rain Saturday morning (but hopefully be dry by game time) so the surface will be slippery which will only help that strategy.

I'm expecting a tight game. With the pressure off I think we will win though - hopefully Rob plays well. Jimmy Rowe or some other no name spud to kick 4.

BY SADNESS, I MEAN “INDIFFERENCE”

The meaninglessness of the game is what makes it so sad.

… few have been as sad. I could actually find only TWO – Showdowns VIII (2000, R22) and XXXI (2011, R19).

Does anyone remember how people were before those Showdowns? Were they really as sad as this one?

Were there others like this week’s (or even sadder)?

Last edited:
Since last match:

IN: Dixon, Aliir, Gray, Finlayson, Bergman, Duursma, Burgoyne

OUT: Mayes, Skinner, Jones, Motlop, McKenzie, Lycett, Frederick

We're going to * them up.

Who cares?

Kens got some work to do here.Laird and Dawson are in great form.And cannot get the footy 35 times each.
The Crows defense looks pretty stable.Tex and the Fog are in pretty good nick also.The Fogs an enigma if he kicks 3 goals from 12 posessions.But can be hurt the other way if the defender runs of him.
Let's do it for Robbie.
If Port turn the heat on early the Crows young guns will all start Down Hill Skiing..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was hoping they flogged us and it would be the last straw for Ken but our fearless Chairman killed that and then the little mistro called time on a splendid career so there doesn’t appear to be much upside to a loss.

Bring some resemblance of composure and this should be over by half time based on the midfield talent alone. But we likely won’t and they’ll get their tails up by bringing the pressure early.

Pear by under 3 goals in a slog. Ken to proclaim we’ve finished the season strong with 2 good wins (against bottom 4 teams) and to watch out in 2023!

FML!

Was hoping they flogged us and it would be the last straw for Ken but our fearless Chairman killed that and then the little mistro called time on a splendid career so there doesn’t appear to be much upside to a loss.

Bring some resemblance of composure and this should be over by half time based on the midfield talent alone. But we likely won’t and they’ll get their tails up by bringing the pressure early.

Pear by under 3 goals in a slog. Ken to proclaim we’ve finished the season strong with 2 good wins (against bottom 4 teams) and to watch out in 2023!

FML!

Other teams are breathing a sigh of relief that we aren't in the finals

(Please ignore our 1-10 record against the top 8)

BY SADNESS, I MEAN “INDIFFERENCE”

The meaninglessness of the game is what makes it so sad.

Does anyone remember how people were before those Showdowns? Were they really as sad as this one?

Were there others like this week’s (or even sadder)?
I'm prepared to be flamed for this but I think showdown, and they hype around it, is overplayed and not positive for us.

I'd rather we were competitive against the best, rather than putting all our energy into beating 14th place.

And it should only be once a year. Make it a marquee battle.

So yeah, sad :(.

Showdown preview.
2 days before the game and this thread isn’t into it’s 2nd page….
Another record thanks to Ken ducking Hinkley….
Want this to be a flogging!!!!!

Which way depends on whether you are asking my head or my heart 😢

Other teams are breathing a sigh of relief that we aren't in the finals

(Please ignore our 1-10 record against the top 8)
Well they are. With the byes around the finals, teams want to make sure they're having a solid hit out at every opportunity. Weeks off and easy games do appear to bad for finals performances in modern afl.

Showdown preview.
2 days before the game and this thread isn’t into it’s 2nd page….
Another record thanks to Ken ducking Hinkley….
Want this to be a flogging!!!!!

Which way depends on whether you are asking my head or my heart 😢
My OP has truly captured the overall mood, and I’m 8,000 miles away from Alberton! 😅

I care about winning this game. We ain't playing finals and this is the next best thing. And we just have to win for Robbie. And also make up for that disastrous showdown of earlier in the year.

I still remember being at the last showdown in 2006, we were well out of finals contention but it still meant a lot to upset the ladder leading crows that day.

I honestly can't see us losing this one, we are a much better team on paper than them, it really shouldn't be close but it probably will be within 30 points. Our team always seems to struggle with pressure, which could be their downfall if they put too much weight on winning for Robbie. They just need to remember that they are better than the crows, so just turn up and play and get the win.

PS: Ken ain't getting sacked, I don't like it but it's not happening this year so we may as well finish off the year with a showdown win, preferably a record margin.

We must play football.

Sick and tired of us not taking the game on. When we don’t we look ordinary. When we do, we look great. It was fantastic to see Marshall and Butters get balls out the back last week. It meant we were keeping some semblance of a forward structure while defending. I never want to see a player streaming forward from a turnover and then putting on the brakes because there is no one to go to. We create turnovers as well as anyone, and then we butcher them better than most.

The cows will turn it over. They are shite. So FFS have a game plan that takes advantage of that and let’s the boys PLAY FOOTBALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back