Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if already posted, but:

Laird sucks

Camporeale on 5AA tonight discussing the Laird comments.

Says he knows Laird and other senior players well, they wouldn’t like the attention.

Campo didn’t like Josh’s comments. Said it might be ok for him but others in the side probably wouldn’t like the added pressure.

Sure ok, but surely the pressure from some shit talking in the media is FAR less than they are going to come up against if we ever make a final again? If we ever make a grand final? Well we know how that went.

Last edited:
I posted about this earlier. The story is that Cahill told Granger to take out Cornes, Granger didn’t want to as he was concerned about all his prior suspensions and basically told Cahill that he’d be banned. Cahill allegedly told him that he’d be looked after by the club. Granger roundhoused Cornes and Port left Granger out to dry.
I think most of this is Grangers side of things. IIRC he rang up 5AA years ago and spoke to Cornes about it, he’s been very bitter about it for years I think.
Always was a loop and fully lost his marbles, bailed up Cornesy in the foyer of 5AA a few years back abusing him.
He is no longer bitter about it though, brown bread.
To be fair was different times and every team had one or two, Robbie Muir used to threaten to belt his teammates 😉

Aww poor Dan guys - he needed the day off according to Channel 7. Poor thing😭😭😭. It's all about him apparently!!!
Port ‘manage’ their club at all times. It is always to some advantage no matter what the situation. AFC very rarely stand up and so we slowly lose ground as the years roll by. The AFL treat us as patsies. Media pretty much controls our world from all sorts of angles.

Says he knows Laird and other senior players well, they wouldn’t like the attention.

Said it might be ok for Josh but others in the side probably wouldn’t like the added pressure.

Sure ok, but surely the pressure from some shit talking in the media is FAR less than they are going to come up against if we ever make a final again? If we ever make a grand final? Well we know how that went.
Yep AFC needs to stand the eff UP !

Interesting to see that Dixon was fined for striking Rankine in the first term.

In the 3 quarter time huddle Goldsack went over and shook Houston’s hand. Seems an odd way to react - I get a pat on the back, a hair ruffle as if to say “bad luck mate, you got the timing wrong “. But a handshake? Seemed a bit more “job done “.

If there ever is a New Orleans style Bountygate in the AFL there better be repercussions.

To be fair to Laird he said that we shy away from talking in the media pre game aka port saying “we hate the club”

Laird wasn’t referring to being passionate and celebrating

The quote has been grabbed from two separate statements
Rachele had a satire dig at their supports, nothing about Port Power, which made the celebration even more funnier. The only other pre game comment was Fogarty saying he wanted to put a dent in their season. Who said "we hate the club" like Burton did years ago???

Not just that flog .. all of them

Some power flog on the MB just referenced Allir and Jones getting concussed. And the Adelaide fans booing them.

Just left out the fact that both of the dopey campaigners were trying to send Thilthorpe to sleep and cleaned up each other instead

And then we witnessed the power coaching and medical staff trying to get them both back on the field
People booed the power medical staff for sending them back on. Was nothing to do with the players

Cornes is so outdated: apparently we lost it by playing the man meanwhile he's completely silent on Port getting away with playing the man ALL ****ING DAY and getting away with it. Also the Houston bump was fine🙄🙄🙄.
He did say that Nicks had to wear the lack of tag on Butters. There is a lot of media debris starting to fall on Nicks.

Got a theory on Ports appeal process. If Houston gets 6+ weeks, they probably will not appeal, as they know he is gone for next year and getting the ban down to 5 wont matter to them as it will make him still ineligible for the GF should they get there. (assuming they lose a final and it wont be their problem for next year/. If its 4 weeks, they will 100% appeal.
[/
This mad me think about Hinge of course, but other borderline-very-good players with the potential to be elite.
I like Hinge; he can footy. He has awareness, composure, good skills, doesn't shirk a contest and that beautiful left foot.
Why is he good, but not elite?
That question applies also to Keays, Murray, Thilthorpe and maybe a few others too.
Why are they good, but not elite?

I think it's on Nicks. I just don't think he is the type of Coach to get the best out of players with massive potential.
Imagine what Blighty would have done with this group. I think even Craig and Pyke would have them playing better and winning more often than Nicks.
Yep can’t help but feel every time I watch Hinge is OFFERS SO MUCH MORE about that it will never bloom under NIcks. Just a feeling and just sayin’

Interesting to see that Dixon was fined for striking Rankine in the first term.

In the 3 quarter time huddle Goldsack went over and shook Houston’s hand. Seems an odd way to react - I get a pat on the back, a hair ruffle as if to say “bad luck mate, you got the timing wrong “. But a handshake? Seemed a bit more “job done “.

If there ever is a New Orleans style Bountygate in the AFL there better be repercussions.
Nathan Buckley on On The Couch:
"You'd have to think that Rankine's name was circled on the whiteboard"

Port supporter here, tell me to f off and I will - but not looking to troll or anything like that. This looks like a genuine conversation which is why I thought i'd like to chip in.

IF it's proven that Rankine's head did indeed whiplash into Houston's shoulder, then it's high contact and it's a big suspension.

However, I have read the post you quoted, that suggests that Rankine's head moving back violently after initially having his body taken from under his head, however I would put forward that his head would violently move back regardless of if it bumped Houston's shoulder or not.

Obviously I have teal coloured glasses on, but i'm not convinved that he has made contact with his head at all - there certainly is a possibility he did, I just don't think the vision is conclusive one way or another. I've seen many people post still images where it may seem like there's high contact, but there's a thing called forced perspective, and I think that applies here. Without the supporting alternate angle, Houston could be well clear of his head and the image would look the same.

There's always talk about alternatives, and clearly he could have tackled - however that only comes into play if the original action is found to be illegal. If he bumped the body, and there is no head contact, then he's performed a legal action and alternatives don't come into play.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the floor did the vast majority of the damage, and that Rankine was conscious up until that point. There is one camera angle that shows his face the entire time, and in slow motion, you can see his eyes move towards Houston as he falls back - and then his head hits the floor and his eyes shut. Obviously there is the possibility he was concussed from the bump itself - but the reverse cannot be true - ie. there's no way anyone can definitively say he was concussed before he hit the ground.

And the main reason I came on this board was to actually look for an update on Rankine and his health - haven't seen anything really posted. Hope he's well, and best wishes - what's the latest update?
It actually doesn't matter whether contact was made to the head (I think it was and rankine was unconscious as he fell which is why no effort to soften his landing was made).
Either way, AFL are punishing outcomes. Houston chose to bump and that resulted in a concussion. He's gone. Mcadam did the same last year (with less force) and got 4 weeks because it might have concussed the player but didn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campo didn’t like Josh’s comments. Said it might be ok for him but others in the side probably wouldn’t like the added pressure.

Campo can **** off tbh, blatantly clear to me he has a grudge against the club still and tbh he doesn't even bring much value to commentary.

Laird has literally thrown him under the bus with the last bit of that commentary - “We try and shy away from the club”. He could have left that bit off but being the pathetic wimp he is.

I’d respect any comment from Sam Mitchell as opposed to Laird.
SHY is the operative word here for theAFC

It's not clear to me whether the people decrying Rachele's comments, dislike them because they think the comments spurred Port into playing better, or if they just think it's embarrassing to say that stuff and then lose.

Rachele is just being who he is. Unless we genuinely think Port needed the extra motivation to come out and win, who cares? Would the loss have been any less embarrassing if he had shut his trap?

It's not clear to me whether the people decrying Rachele's comments, dislike them because they think the comments spurred Port into playing better, or if they just think it's embarrassing to say that stuff and then lose.

Rachele is just being who he is. Unless we genuinely think Port needed the extra motivation to come out and win, who cares? Would the loss have been any less embarrassing if he had shut his trap?

This is it for me, who cares what Rachele said prior to the game we lost and that hurts enough. I couldn't give two shits as to whether Rachele made comments, it has literally zero outcome on the result.

The reason we lost is because they took our best play our (we were winning at that point) and it completely changed the game.

The reason we lost is because they took our best play our (we were winning at that point) and it completely changed the game.

Yep - and furthermore, we lost because we as a club completely shat the bed once it happened. Unless we learn to toughen up and figure out how to work through difficult and dramatic moments like that, we're going nowhere. It's not like finals are going to be free of drama and big hits. Good clubs get on with the job regardless.

Sam Mitchell just got asked about it in FoxFooty

He had no problem with it, thought that it adds to the theatre of the game and likes the fresh vibe young players are bringing to the competition.

He's the anti-Crow
Nix literally said the same in the post match presser
Im not defending him as i think he has no idea, but he did say that

Yep - and furthermore, we lost because we as a club completely shat the bed once it happened. Unless we learn to toughen up and figure out how to work through difficult and dramatic moments like that, we're going nowhere. It's not like finals are going to be free of drama and big hits. Good clubs get on with the job regardless.

What did our leaders on the field do - O’Brien, Fogarty, Murphy, Keays and Hinge?

So allegedly a child hit the Port mascot and gave them a bloody nose...Assuming this is true, how poor are Port that their mascot head doesn't have any padding? Can't afford a bit of foam?
Why was a crows teenager on the field with the power mascot before the game and how come there is zero footage of this? I call bs

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back