Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

This mad me think about Hinge of course, but other borderline-very-good players with the potential to be elite.
I like Hinge; he can footy. He has awareness, composure, good skills, doesn't shirk a contest and that beautiful left foot.
Why is he good, but not elite?
That question applies also to Keays, Murray, Thilthorpe and maybe a few others too.
Why are they good, but not elite?

I think it's on Nicks. I just don't think he is the type of Coach to get the best out of players with massive potential.
Imagine what Blighty would have done with this group. I think even Craig and Pyke would have them playing better and winning more often than Nicks.
Of this there can be no doubt. Many on here would likely be doing better

Yep - and furthermore, we lost because we as a club completely shat the bed once it happened. Unless we learn to toughen up and figure out how to work through difficult and dramatic moments like that, we're going nowhere. It's not like finals are going to be free of drama and big hits. Good clubs get on with the job regardless.

The outcome had a certain inevitability about it after Rankine's hit. At stages this year a lot of the players like Worrel, MM, Fogarty, Crouch etc have flown the flag but it's also come at the expense of playing football and we also became easy targets to the opposition and the umpires.

This team needs to learn to play with constant controlled aggression with a clinical application of well timed ruthlessness.

A fan of Rachele (but he's got plenty to work on) and don't mind his comments but he needs to be able to back it up. Fair enough the midfield got slaughtered in the second half after Rankine got hit, but Rachele needs to develop that ability to impose himself on the game.

Port's players didn't need the motivation, but it would've fired up their crowd from the start. Our players always say our crowd gets them going, so you can see how it would've benefited Port from the start and all game.

Won't bother commenting on not tagging Butters, our boys losing their heads (half of me was proud they flew the flag but knew straight away the game was done), Port fans cheering/booing Rankine off etc.

Campo can **** off tbh, blatantly clear to me he has a grudge against the club still and tbh he doesn't even bring much value to commentary.
Well he's been very critical of nicks' selection policies and game plan, and even suggested ways to improve it, some of which happen months later and he is proved right. Even though he's not a favourite in here, he'd still be a better coach than the one we have

Well he's been very critical of nicks' selection policies and game plan, and even suggested ways to improve it, some of which happen months later and he is proved right. Even though he's not a favourite in here, he'd still be a better coach than the one we have

I find his analysis of the game incredibly dull and pretty one dimensional tbh.

It's not clear to me whether the people decrying Rachele's comments, dislike them because they think the comments spurred Port into playing better, or if they just think it's embarrassing to say that stuff and then lose.

Rachele is just being who he is. Unless we genuinely think Port needed the extra motivation to come out and win, who cares? Would the loss have been any less embarrassing if he had shut his trap?
I also question the comments from the likes of Kane Cornes (and many others), wait until the game is won before poking the bear with a celebration like that that stirs the pot on those comments more

Isn’t that the cowards way? Like you said that celebration has no impact on their or out performance, pulling it out when the game was alive adds to it. Either tell him not to do it at all, not say it’d only be ok if it was ribbing salt into the wound if it’s game over.

Port supporter here, tell me to f off and I will - but not looking to troll or anything like that. This looks like a genuine conversation which is why I thought i'd like to chip in.
Look, mate, I'll assume you're here not to troll for a moment. Benefit of the doubt, so to speak, but you're a Port supporter coming into your beaten opponent's thread where things are still heated and angry.
In general I LOATHE oppo supporters who do that. You being a PA supporter makes it worse.
IF it's proven that Rankine's head did indeed whiplash into Houston's shoulder, then it's high contact and it's a big suspension.
However, I have read the post you quoted, that suggests that Rankine's head moving back violently after initially having his body taken from under his head, however I would put forward that his head would violently move back regardless of if it bumped Houston's shoulder or not.
And this is where I stop being nice. I call bullshit.
I don't know the post you mean but it's clear to me that Rankine's head does NOT go backwards "violently".
The Houston shoulder hit is high, under his chin and Rankine's head goes down and into Houston's braced shoulder.
Rankine's lights go out.
He drops like jellied meat which is what he was after the hit, unaware and making no conscious efforts at all, say, to break his fall. There's nothing to "prove" --- watch the slo-mo replays and believe what you see.

If you cannot see that, plus the fact that Houston chose the front-on, T-Bone hit over a fair and safe tackle then, yes, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200, just f-off.

Camporeale on 5AA tonight discussing the Laird comments.

Says he knows Laird and other senior players well, they wouldn’t like the attention.

Campo didn’t like Josh’s comments. Said it might be ok for him but others in the side probably wouldn’t like the added pressure.

Sure ok, but surely the pressure from some shit talking in the media is FAR less than they are going to come up against if we ever make a final again? If we ever make a grand final? Well we know how that went.
No wonder they buckled in the GF if that's their attitude.

My solution to the problem. Every sub should be a designated ice hockey style enforcer goon. Rankine would get subbed off and the Port players would spend the rest of the game looking over their shoulders for payback.

Bit old school but cheap shots, sniping and baiting would disappear overnight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also question the comments from the likes of Kane Cornes (and many others), wait until the game is won before poking the bear with a celebration like that that stirs the pot on those comments more

Isn’t that the cowards way? Like you said that celebration has no impact on their or out performance, pulling it out when the game was alive adds to it. Either tell him not to do it at all, not say it’d only be ok if it was ribbing salt into the wound if it’s game over.
Kane Cornes always has a view when it comes to these sorts of things that you should only sing when you’re winning.

Which is actually the opposite of what a good sport does.

If Rachele was a smart arse when we are winning then a church mouse when we are losing, i would hold him in less regard

Just on Rash, didn't he take the p!ss out of the supporters, not the players?
I don't see why Jane's getting her panties in a twist over it.
But then again if the Gatorade kid is getting all offended over internet comments and their mascot Larry the lightning bolt or whatever is being assaulted by a child then I guess they are all as soft as each other.

If your player is taken out and plays no further in the game then the player who did the act should also take no further part in the game.

Irrespective whether the player gets matches, his side has obtained an advantage therefore in the spirit of fairness he should take no further part.

Houston should not have been able to walk off that field on the weekend after what happened imo.

This whole bumping thing is ridiculous and could quite easily be cleared up by the AFL.

You can bump shoulder to shoulder, hip to hip. You clearly can’t shirtfront anymore.

So why not just ****ing say that? We all know what it means.

It’s a shame, we used to celebrate it as a tough part of our game. The tv networks used to put it in their highlights montages. But now with the known effects of head knocks you can’t do it anymore.

Even if you manage to avoid the head, and flush it shoulder to sternum, hitting a bloke unprotected up the middle will likely result in whiplash, or hitting their head on the deck. And an instant 4+ week spell.

So why not just come out and say if you go the shirt front you’re gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back