Game Day R24 Deathride - Hawks, Dogs and Blues edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the last Deathride thread went so well...

You'd almost think this season was scripted tbh. A whole bunch of nothing games Friday and Saturday and then all three games to determine that last spot in finals all on Sunday.

Pies and Saints missing the 8 isn’t a bad outcome by any means. Both would have started the season thinking they would play finals.

And Port are more than capable of going out in straight sets.

Anyway, North showing no heart, not a great start.

There’s no reason that we couldn’t be playing at the Hawks level, but we just aren’t a serious enough team to do so
Don't think they're above us

Barely beat us in Tassie and it was a bit of a choke by us, missing our skipper

They lost to GWS, so did we

They got pumped by the Cats, we were close to them

The bombers game was a difference, don't remember their game v the bombers tbh

so on recent form I don't think there is much between us?

Don't think they're above us

Barely beat us in Tassie and it was a bit of a choke by us, missing our skipper

They lost to GWS, so did we

They got pumped by the Cats, we were close to them

The bombers game was a difference, don't remember their game v the bombers tbh

so on recent form I don't think there is much between us?
They’re really not. Their form looks as good as it is because of the teams they’ve played.

Hopefully it is still a live chance for us to make finals when the game starts, and with a win we get in.

Just quietly though, part of me is sad that this could well be the last game for both Fyfey and SonSon, and yet circumstances mean there will be virtually no focus on that until basically just before first bounce.

Both of those players have given so much to Freo that they really deserved at least a full week of pre game attention and tributes from fans and the broader community, and then a bumper crowd at the game focusing on them and their contributions to our club over what has been an amazing journey for both legends.

Hopefully it is still a live chance for us to make finals when the game starts, and with a win we get in.

Just quietly though, part of me is sad that this could well be the last game for both Fyfey and SonSon, and yet circumstances mean there will be virtually no focus on that until basically just before first bounce.

Both of those players have given so much to Freo that they really deserved at least a full week of pre game attention and tributes from fans and the broader community, and then a bumper crowd at the game focusing on them and their contributions to our club over what has been an amazing journey for both legends.

Aren’t they both contracted for next season?

Neither have made any sounds around retirement, that’d be why there is no attention on it.

The scorelines so far today are backing my belief that it’s very unlikely saints beat Carlton tomorrow.

We have seen this before very often in the AFL - on the final day when one team has something to play for and the other doesn’t, the former nearly always wins.
Saints would like to win.
Carlton have to win.
There is a massive difference.

It’s all about GWS for me. They have a live shot at something quite rare - a top 2 finish and one foot in the GF. That should be enough to motivate them fully v. The Dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scorelines so far today are backing my belief that it’s very unlikely saints beat Carlton tomorrow.

We have seen this before very often in the AFL - on the final day when one team has something to play for and the other doesn’t, the former nearly always wins.
Saints would like to win.
Carlton have to win.
There is a massive difference.

It’s all about GWS for me. They have a live shot at something quite rare - a top 2 finish and one foot in the GF. That should be enough to motivate them fully v. The Dogs.
There's a chance the Saints CBF tomorrow, but you're also forgetting it's two of the worst teams since Fitzroy out there today.

Last edited:
Just quietly though, part of me is sad that this could well be the last game for both Fyfey and SonSon
What are you rambling about. They are both contracted for 2025. Their last games will be next year some time. They'll get a fitting send off when the time is right.

I don't know where to put this, but correct me if I am wrong.... I went back to 1969 before I got bored and didn't look any further,

We're currently leading the league for 'Points Against'

If that holds and we miss finals, we'd be the first team to concede the least amount of points and not play finals. That stat might be applicable in the entire history of the AFL, but I've got things to do.

Because the last Deathride thread went so well...

You'd almost think this season was scripted tbh. A whole bunch of nothing games Friday and Saturday and then all three games to determine that last spot in finals all on Sunday.
The AFL love it.

Geelong moving above GWS on percentage is handy for us. Moved them down to 4th and an even bigger incentive to beat dogs and avoid Sydney at SCG

I think they’ll play both on next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day R24 Deathride - Hawks, Dogs and Blues edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back