Preview R24 | Sydney vs Adelaide | SCG - Sat 24/8 @ 7:40PM AEST | We need to prove a point (unlike last year)

In honour of our guests, what are the Crows best performances against us in recent years?

• 2024 at home – Graciously hosting the biggest Amartey Party yet

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2016 Semi Final – Giving up a 7 goal opening quarter to... us

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2012 Qualifying Final – Kicking 5.12 in a 29 point loss

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2012 – Keeping the Tippett contract so quiet they almost got something for him

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 2013 at home – Kicking as many goals as Jesse White into the 3rd

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2017 at home – Nailbiting loss and Talia's chase on Buddy

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2020 at home – Tex missing with 30 seconds left, in front of a usual 4th quarter Adelaide crowd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 at home – Failing to defend a crucial late kick-in, allowing the game to be iced

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that very few of us mentioned McCartin as someone who may need a rest.

I feel a bit silly not have thought of him as he is still quite young and has been carrying a lot of responsibility all year, with a definite dip in form of late. I wonder if he has a significant injury he has been managing? I hope the rest does him well as we need more from him come finals.

Funny that very few of us mentioned McCartin as someone who may need a rest.

I feel a bit silly not have thought of him as he is still quite young and has been carrying a lot of responsibility all year, with a definite dip in form of late. I wonder if he has a significant injury he has been managing? I hope the rest does him well as we need more from him come finals.
Think it’s being conservative given concussion history.

I'm really surprised that the match committee didn't take the opportunity to rest Brodie Grundy who either looks tired (lethargic) or may be carrying a niggle; Especially in comparison to how energetic and dominant his start to the year was.

Our drop off in performance seemed to have coincided with the downturn in his form.

This game will not have any bearing whatsoever on our final position and what is the problem if he does have a precautionary 2 weeks off, for a freshen up?

He's so important to our finals aspirations and therefore the coaches should have, in my opinion, overruled any protestations that Brodie may have had to taking a break.

P.S. I like the move of resting McCartin.

I'm really surprised that the match committee didn't take the opportunity to rest Brodie Grundy who either looks tired (lethargic) or may be carrying a niggle; Especially in comparison to how energetic and dominant his start to the year was.

Our drop off in performance seemed to have coincided with the downturn in his form.

This game will not have any bearing whatsoever on our final position and what is the problem if he does have a precautionary 2 weeks off, for a freshen up?

He's so important to our finals aspirations and therefore the coaches should have, in my opinion, overruled any protestations that Brodie may have had to taking a break.

The only thing I can think is they obviously had extensive chats with him, and left it up to him. And that led to him being confident he's fine for one more then the week off. If he wa carrying a niggle or cooked, im sure Horse and selection committee would've stressed to him "You can have this game off"

Will probably be an in game rest for Grundy much like last week tbh. Try and kill it early and then have the older guys spent 50% TOG in the second half

It’s probably lost on us because this game is such a dead rubber, but there’s a beauty in the fact that their supporters claimed they’d be back bigger and better this year after the umpiring howler was the only reason they didn’t play finals, and now they finish their season with barely a whimper against the same side on our home deck while we already have the minor premiership wrapped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My issue with Adams is that his skills are so poor. Sure, he may create some space (haven't noticed but not to say it's not happening), has finals experience and he may do other things that go unnoticed by the average spectator, but his disposal is so poor. It's not AFL standard and will cost us dearly in finals.

It's a bit like saying Raygun is a great break dancer because she's so creative even though she can't do any of the fundamental trademark breaking moves and moves with little strength and fluidity.

Yeah Raygun, that was the first parallel I drew as well

I disagree completely.. sitting in the opposite camp Lol!

First, perhaps Grundy's niggle requires surgery or considerable rest (more than 2-3 weeks), but won't get worse with playing, in which case he keeps playing.

Second, given his age, he needs to keep playing, with less game time and less training, but keep going none the less. I know there are a lot of folk calling for him to be rested, but I'm betting they're young... The final series itself gives us the best chance of resting him between games, as so long as we keep winning, he get's every second week off until after the prelim.

Unless he has an injury that will be cured by a week or two off, he absolutely needs to keep going in my view!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11 posts since joining 5 years ago, this is clearly a matter you feel strongly about, and Horse should pay attention😁

Cleary, too green for finals
disagree. good enough is all he needs to be . too green for finals is s very broad comment that means little. Every individual is different. The opportunity to play a final can be a great factor in belief and getting the best from a rookie. If he is best 22 that is all that matters

Everyone gets a rest next week, seems like some are not aware. Win that and you get another rest. Plenty of resting available.

Everyone gets a rest next week, seems like some are not aware. Win that and you get another rest. Plenty of resting available.
I'm aware, just haven't had anyone convince me that trotting out Grundy and Hayward again, will help us this week or in finals.

Exhausted/hurt players tend not to play better or get into form by continuing to play.

I know it might not happen, in fact probably won't (although there's no reason it can't?)

But imagine if Cleary puts in an undroppable performance this week and is in our 22 for a home qualifying final LOL
Effort and will are much of the battle, especially if you also make smart decisions and can hurt the opposition. If he plays like he did the other night, Horse can't drop him if he's serious about winning a flag.

A lot of our senior players from recent months could learn from him.

But how are you fitting Fox in as finals sub with Papley and McInerney to come back? At full strength Fox is only an emergency imo
I'm not yet convinced Jmac will be back or, if he is, as effective as he was earlier in the season. Papley replaces Cleary, obviously, and if it comes down to using Adams or Fox as sub, I'd prefer Fox.

disagree. good enough is all he needs to be . too green for finals is s very broad comment that means little. Every individual is different. The opportunity to play a final can be a great factor in belief and getting the best from a rookie. If he is best 22 that is all that matters
That's your opinion. Mine is that using inexperienced players in big finals is fraught with danger. Fox was there in '22 and was one of the few that day who didn't lower his colours because he's a smart and experienced footballer. We need more of that this year, not less.

From 7:30pm on Channel 503 with Dwayne Russell, Gerard Healy, Nick Dal Santo, Alastair Lynch & David Zita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back