Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

I had feeling we'd miss the top 2 when we lost that game to Essendon back in Round 2. There was 2 minutes left in the game and we were leading by 16 points. Luke Breust had the chance to win the game against Sydney in Round 8 and missed a shot on goal. We only have ourselves to blame.

If it's an away Qualifying Final against West Coast, then so be it. That's the likely situation we now find ourselves in. If we are good enough and play to our ability then we will win. If we don't win and we get beaten by the Eagles in Perth then season 2015 is over. In saying that our players don't fear any team and we will give it a real crack. We'll treat our Qualifying Final as if it's a Grand Final knowing we get a week off if we somehow manage to win and a home Preliminary Final.

We have never done it the easy way at the hfc... We are capable of doing anything. Hawthorn can win away finals. 2010 elimination was a disaster, however a long time ago now.

KOLOKOTRONIS

We have never done it the easy way at the hfc... We are capable of doing anything. Hawthorn can win away finals. 2010 elimination was a disaster, however a long time ago now.

KOLOKOTRONIS

different team, much better defence now for a start

Best 3rd placed team ever? Would be nice if you didn't have a habit of losing games you shouldn't this year. Would hate to have one of those games in the finals...

Adelaide (2006) and Geelong (2010) were both in identical positions to Hawthorn based on ratio of for / against below.

The Hawks are now #1 for attack and #2 for defence based on for / against.

Its said that a good indicator of flag success is if you are in the top 4 for attack and defence...

Based on the current ladder -

Fremantle 8th / 1st
West Coast 2nd / 3rd
Hawthorn 1st / 2nd

Western Bulldogs 4th / 5th
Sydney 9th / 4th
Richmond 10th / 3rd
North Melbourne 3rd / 10th
Adelaide 5th / 9th

So based on the ratio above Hawthorn, West Coast and the W Bulldogs are the three best balanced sides. Richmond and North Melbourne are polar opposites which makes the round 23 game intriguing.

In terms previous seasons, teams that have been top 4 for attack and defence have finished in a range of positions relative to the premier -

GF Sydney 3rd / 4th (Hawthorn were 1st / 5th)

PF Geelong 2nd / 4th (Hawthorn were 1st / 5th)

GF Hawthorn 1st / 3rd (Sydney were 5th / 1st)

2011 - such a strange year
GF Collingwood 1st / 1st (Geelong were 2nd / 2nd)
PF Hawthorn 3rd / 3rd

PF Geelong 1st / 2nd (Collingwood were 2nd / 1st)

PF St Kilda 4th / 1st (Geelong were 3rd / 4th)

GF Geelong 1st / 1st (Hawthorn were 3rd / 3rd)

N.A (Geelong were 1st / 1st)

PF Adelaide 2nd / 2nd (West Coast 4th / 4th)

So based on the ratios one of Hawthorn (1st / 2nd), West Coast (2nd / 3rd) or the W Bulldogs (4th / 5th) are in the box seat to win the flag as all other teams appear to be out sinc / balance

I think 114 is an excellent score when you consider The Squiggle has not watched a second of footy or knows which players are taking the field and in which positions.
I wouldn't be surprised if half of the wrong tips consisted of North and Richmond

Adelaide (2006) and Geelong (2010) were both in identical positions to Hawthorn based on ratio of for / against below.

Its said that a good indicator of flag success is if you are in the top 4 for attack and defence...

Fremantle 8th / 1st
West Coast 2nd / 3rd
Hawthorn 1st / 2nd

Sydney 9th / 4th
Richmond 10th / 3rd
Adelaide 5th / 9th

So based on the ratio above Hawthorn, West Coast and the W Bulldogs are the three best balanced sides. Richmond and North Melbourne are polar opposites which makes the round 23 game intriguing.

In terms previous seasons, teams that have been top 4 for attack and defence have finished in a range of positions relative to the premier -

PF Hawthorn 3rd / 3rd

So based on the ratios one of Hawthorn (1st / 2nd), West Coast (2nd / 3rd) or the W Bulldogs (4th / 5th) are in the box seat to win the flag as all other teams appear to be out sinc / balance
No doubt Hawks are deserved favourites just responding to your fellow hawk fan who sees the Hawks easily handling west coast in a QF at subi. A little arrogant given the relative positions.

Fremantle 8th / 1st
West Coast 2nd / 3rd
Hawthorn 1st / 2nd

Sydney 9th / 4th
Richmond 10th / 3rd
Adelaide 5th / 9th

PF Hawthorn 3rd / 3rd

I agree with you here. I think West Coast, Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn will all make the Preliminary Finals with Fremantle being the other team to make it. A balance between both is very important. You cannot solely rely on your strong forward line to kick a heap of goals or your strong defence to withstand the opposition from scoring a big number. It has to be a good balance of both of course, not just any type of balance lol.

I feel that Fremantle, North Melbourne, Sydney, Richmond and Adelaide will find this out the hard way this year in the finals series (if they all make it).

Doubt we will play in the GF this year, lost to many winnable games early that will cost us a top 2 spot.
Chances are we will loose to both WA teams in finals. West coast looks closer and closer to a sure thing every week, pretty great effort considering thier injurys and were they came from last year.
Our only chance is if either Bulldogs or crows can knock off the Eagles to give us top two which is very unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am only bummed that I won't be able to attend the QF. We should easily account for WC
Lol. You nearly lost to them in their home deck while they had Nic Naitanui and other players out. What makes you so confident you'll easily account for them in a QF away against an Eagles side that'll probably look better compared to your last meeting against them with the return of a few quality players?

Hawthorn are probably favourites to win, but don't get ahead of yourself just yet.

Round 20, 2015

nvHOt53.jpg

Animated!
mVx5pP5.gif

Nine tips right this week, but there was still plenty of squiggling!

Great week for the Bulldogs, who made it four very good games in a row with a 98-point demolition of Melbourne. It's enough to convince the squiggle for the first time that they're more likely to make Top 4 than miss... although it's a close thing.

Adelaide also moved a lot after racking up 171 points away against Essendon. This is significant because for a while now the Crows have seemed locked in a death-race with Geelong for eighth spot, and this suggested they might come out on top.

The squiggle likes these kinds of games, where a team really goes to town on a poor opposition. For this reason, but to a lesser degree, Richmond did pretty well out of an 83-point victory over Gold Coast.

It was also a nice week for Brisbane, in that they gained a lot of ground on Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne and Gold Coast, who had shockers of roughly equal magnitude. Plus they finished drawing this pretty squiggle:

Hy3mT5a.jpg

Not so great for Geelong, who slid to the back of the pack of top nine teams, as most of their immediate competition did well.

Also bad for Sydney. With games to come against GWS, St. Kilda and the Gold Coast, the Swans are an excellent chance of going 3-0 and regaining 4th spot. But their form is so poor that even if they make it, they don't look like much of a challenger.

Hawthorn would have preferred that Fremantle beat West Coast, as it would have made Top 2 so much more achievable, but they can still snag 2nd since West Coast are (ever so slightly) seen as likely to drop one of their last three, while the Hawks will probably win the lot. The Eagles face the Bulldogs next and then Adelaide, both of whom are in great form.

The closer we get to the end of the season, the less useful the Ladder Predictor is, because so much depends on so few results. That means even your puny human brain can figure out likely outcomes. But here it is:

5VBrIHv.png

And on flagpole (patent pending), Fremantle continue to wallow, looking low for a finalist, let alone the minor premier. They're in the box seat in terms of their finals fixture, but need to find that elusive next gear in a hurry.

TWkeQfP.jpg

Live squiggles! This week on live squiggles: updates during games! So if a team gets off to a flyer, they should start squiggling pretty much immediately. Also possible: the whole thing breaks, because I haven't tested it properly.

Lol. You nearly lost to them in their home deck while they had Nic Naitanui and other players out. What makes you so confident you'll easily account for them in a QF away against an Eagles side that'll probably look better compared to your last meeting against them with the return of a few quality players?

Hawthorn are probably favourites to win, but don't get ahead of yourself just yet.

We have a very good chance of beating Fremantle if we were to meet in this years final in my opinion. That's not to say Fremantle aren't capable of winning, but they have such a poor record against Hawthorn out of all the other top eight teams. The West Coast Eagles however have troubled us a lot recently (especially in Perth) and would be a difficult task for Hawthorn to overcome. The Eagles would probably beat us on their home turf. Give me Fremantle in a final right now over West Coast any day. Hawthorn have Fremantle's measure.

Why do people get so emotional?
I'm only going off of what the stats (almighty squiggle) suggest. And they suggest that Hawthorn should win, and win quite comfortably.

We have a very good chance of beating Fremantle if we were to meet in this years final in my opinion. That's not to say Fremantle aren't capable of winning but they have a poor record against Hawthorn then any of the other top eight teams. Now the West Coast Eagles however have troubled us a lot recently (especially in Perth) and would be a difficult task for Hawthorn to overcome. The Eagles would probably beat us to be honest. Give me Fremantle in a final right now over West Coast any day. Hawthorn have Fremantle's measure.
I don't think Eagles will beat Hawthorn, but I do think West Coast will not lie down easily. Maybe in a Grand Final though since it is at the MCG and these guys haven't played in a GF before.

Fremantle however could end up being smashed by Hawthorn if they meet in the finals at any stage. It appears that they don't have enough firepower to match it with them. They'll probably hope for Hawthorn to be kicked out by someone else if they want to win the flag

Why do people get so emotional?
I'm only going off of what the stats suggest. And they suggest that Hawthorn should win, and win quite comfortably.
In a Grand Final I'll agree with you because of Hawthorn's experience and the fact that it is at the MCG. I think they'll probably win comfortably if they faced West Coast there. But I don't think a top 4 side that has the ability to score like West Coast will just roll over at home for Hawthorn. I think they'll fight hard for a home Preliminary Final to increase their chances of making a Grand Final.

Best 3rd placed team ever? Would be nice if you didn't have a habit of losing games you shouldn't this year. Would hate to have one of those games in the finals...

Still 3 rounds to go yet....But don't let that dissuade you from jumping to erroneous conclusions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back