Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Condemn her actions by all means, but isn't it hypocritical that people are insulting her based on hair colour / weight / sexuality etc, in response to her insulting someone based on skin colour? Or are some forms of bullying acceptable? I can't keep up.

Oh yes the old reverse victim card. Nice one.
Did you learn that from Eddie?
Bad back, medication crap crap crap.

I can't believe anyone would be attempting to justify this woman's actions or question whether it was actually racist.

Only a moron would consider throwing a banana at an aboriginal player and not understand how that would be seen as a racist act.

There's nothing moronic about it.

The people wondering if it was actually racist, are also racists and trying to defend one of their own.

Calling them morons lets them off the hook.

Who are you to say what food people should carry with them and when? Maybe that was the only thing in her bag she was willing to give up? Obviously nobody should be throwing things over the fence in the first place, but it may just be coincidence.

Come on. Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He baited the crowd by celebrating and he got some of his own back..tough shit comes with the job..Im sure while he was growing up he got a lot worse.

Baited the crowd by celebrating? Surely as you typed that some part of your brain said wtf am I saying...

Who are you to say what food people should carry with them and when? Maybe that was the only thing in her bag she was willing to give up? Obviously nobody should be throwing things over the fence in the first place, but it may just be coincidence.
Would you expect a normal, rational person to take Bananas to a Night game, and then just happen to throw it at an indigenous player where it can be take as a racial slur?

She should've been reported and prosecuted. Doesn't help the Port feral rep. And just shows what a sore loser she is.

Whether it's racist...it actually didn't occur to me when I first saw the vid last night, but if the above report is true it looks like it was. I wasn't aware of the trend of fans throwing bananas at soccer players either. Either way, racist or not, it could be considered a form of assault. Sure it was only a banana, but what if it had hit someone in the eye?

I'm really surprised at the lack of knowledge of the above fact amongst posters. It's one of the most blatant acts of racism you can get in soccer. In countries like Russia you can get away with this but if you tried it in England or France you would end up as a national disgrace.

I only quickly read the first few pages of this thread and I suspect that a few people defending/downplaying this act didn't understand what it meant, and find it hard to back peddle now they do understand. However I suggest you swallow your pride or cast aside your ignorance and start back peddling. This one is pretty inexcusable.

He baited the crowd by celebrating and he got some of his own back..tough shit comes with the job..Im sure while he was growing up he got a lot worse.
See that's just it - it shouldn't come with the job should it.

Trying to justify something with the line "Im sure while he was growing up he got a lot worse" is a new level of stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's nothing moronic about it.

The people wondering if it was actually racist, are also racists and trying to defend one of their own.

Calling them morons lets them off the hook.

I didn't see it as racist when it first happened. I just saw it as bad behaviour from a sore loser. The fact it was a banana and Betts being aboriginal honestly did not occur to me. Maybe I just took it as surface value. But if it comes to light it was racist, and it's a 'thing' then fair enough, it seems racist. I don't automatically see racism in everything. And just because someone doesn't automatically see it as racist obviously doesn't make them racist. I condemn racism as much as anyone. I've been a victim of racist insults myself, I usually see it as a reflection of the other person, unfortunately a lot of that comes out in footy games, but definitely not excusable.

How dumb would you have to be to throw something in the first place as you say

How dumb would you have to be to excuse the connection here?, but ok fine lets say Eddie riled he up (still no excuse) she thought ok bugger this jerk what have i got here, only has a banana , then if you had no thought of race would you not as a footy fan and all we have been through think, if i throw a banana at a black player people will think this is racist?

There is no excuse there is no oh she had eaten all the m and ms and she doesnt really like bannanas so could spare it, there is no ohh he celebrated hard and asked for it. There is no ohh she just doesnt like him because he is a jerk. It was a stupid calculated dumb racist act!!

Eddie and every player have the right not to be exposed to this, she is old enough to know better and should be barred for life

Eddie maguire - banana sales are down this year, maybe we can get Eddie Betts in an ad eating bananas?

Irony - woman with primitive beliefs throws banana at aboriginal player to signify his race is primitive.

Absolutely inexcusable act, with all the coverage the goodes incident received in the last couple of years, only an absolute imbecile could claim ignorance after such an act.
The Goodes booers liked to claim that they all came to some logical assessment of his character and it wasnt race based. Lets see the same idiots try and spin this one the same way. They dont like Betts 'celebrations' apparently.

At the end of the day it comes down to the same thing. Some whities dont like 'uppity' aboriginal people who they think are trying to 'rise above their station'. For most white bogans - race and nationality (ozzie ozzie ozzie oil oi oi) is their only comfort. You cant take that away from them as well.

Condemn her actions by all means, but isn't it hypocritical that people are insulting her based on hair colour / weight / sexuality etc, in response to her insulting someone based on skin colour? Or are some forms of bullying acceptable? I can't keep up.

If you go into a knife fight you can't complain about getting stabbed.

Isnt it funny that she'll more than likely receive a lifetime ban for throwing a piece of fruit. If only she thought to take an apple instead.

she probably purchased that banana mid week and told all her friends watch how clever I am

I'm really surprised at the lack of knowledge of the above fact amongst posters. It's one of the most blatant acts of racism you can get in soccer. In countries like Russia you can get away with this but if you tried it in England or France you would end up as a national disgrace.

I only quickly read the first few pages of this thread and I suspect that a few people defending/downplaying this act didn't understand what it meant, and find it hard to back peddle now they do understand. However I suggest you swallow your pride or cast aside your ignorance and start back peddling. This one is pretty inexcusable.
I posted a link earlier. Like you, I am amazed that anyone would fail to see the connotation: Black/Ape/Banana :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_association_football

Even when you take away the racist overtones, the level of stupidity to throw something at another human being, let alone one on a footy field protected by security is astounding.

Seriously, we're supposed to be a civilised, highly-evolved species for pete's sake!

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back