Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah, Saint Eddie, he's allowed to heckle opposition fans, he's Eddie Betts.

Yeah?

Kicking that 5th goal was a real heckling act

Port fans were outraged back in the day when Tredrea used to carry on the crowd

Who are you to say what food people should carry with them and when? Maybe that was the only thing in her bag she was willing to give up? Obviously nobody should be throwing things over the fence in the first place, but it may just be coincidence.

a38e25f17e40c572870487e37c36670a_thumb.jpg

i shouted terra nullius at adam goodes one day, he is smart so i thought he would know what it meant. it worked, he missed the shot at goal and gave me a strange look. i felt a bit bad after. people say pretty nasty stuff at the footy, i wouldn't be too precious about it, seen and heard a lot worse. i wouldn't say its the sole domain of any one club either. but throwing anything at the players is not on. big ban warranted.
i had to try to explain why this was such a big deal to someone from another culture. they couldn't get it. banana=monkey. its pretty interesting that gene and dna technology has revealed recently that anglo/ white people have around 2-3% Neanderthal dna. whilst west African people have none. so white people are actually the cavemen, i always like to tell racists that.
So you tell yourself that?

Watch this:

Highly charged final, movement from end to end to put the Swans back in front, Micky O's direct response to the crowd and not a single banana thrown.
You don't know what "banter" has been thrown over the fence during a game, especially in a parochial Members section or Cheersquad so a response in such a situation doesn't justify the aiming of any of any projectile at a player.

PS: I just like watching that. Over and over and... ;)

Lol .I know what 'banter' got thrown over the fence there.I remember having a very funny conversation with an Eagles cheer squad member about it once.Absolutly **** all 'banter' basically and no body got r*ped and we all move on.

Last edited:
You clearly haven't got any ******* idea how they sell tickets to these games do you?

Port has sections for opposition fans, they are behind the goals.

So how were the 20 or so crows fans in bay 331 where I was sitting, if those are only for Port members? When I looked all along the stand and then below and to the bay you are claiming is nothing but Port, I could see crows fans in all those sections last night. Port don't have full ticketed membership in those bays, so tickets are sold all over the ground, not just in certain areas as you say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get it over with, just get a rope and hang her.

Seriously stupid post - we are now at a time when racism is called out; I for one am pleased that is the case.

Why post this? - if you think this sort of act should happen without being called out say that or move on do something else with your day, all that post does is inflame with no reason to do so.

I didn't see it as racist when it first happened. I just saw it as bad behaviour from a sore loser. The fact it was a banana and Betts being aboriginal honestly did not occur to me. Maybe I just took it as surface value. But if it comes to light it was racist, and it's a 'thing' then fair enough, it seems racist. I don't automatically see racism in everything. And just because someone doesn't automatically see it as racist obviously doesn't make them racist. I condemn racism as much as anyone. I've been a victim of racist insults myself, I usually see it as a reflection of the other person, unfortunately a lot of that comes out in footy games, but definitely not excusable.

Thats fine. At some point I wasn't aware of the connotation either. If you were genuinely ignorant of the practice and its history there's nothing wrong with asking the question.

But it is practice that goes back a long way and spans practically every continent. Even Africa.

If you go into a knife fight you can't complain about getting stabbed.
So the bullying is ok if it's provoked? Some Port fans are arguing the same point re: Betts "provoking" a response from the crowd. I say two wrongs don't make a right.

To be clear, attacking her for her actions is totally fine by me. But attacking her based on appearance is hypocritical.

Seriously stupid post - we are now at a time when racism is called out; I for one am pleased that is the case.

Why post this? - if you think this sort of act should happen without being called out say that or move on do something else with your day, all that post does is inflame with no reason to do so.
Because she will get banned and rightly so, but posters like yourself won't be satisfied with that, so we need to get her strung up, so you will have closure.

Who are you to say what food people should carry with them and when? Maybe that was the only thing in her bag she was willing to give up? Obviously nobody should be throwing things over the fence in the first place, but it may just be coincidence.

and there it is, the casual racism of trying to obfuscate, mitigate and confuse just to add some doubt. move the implication away from the centre of the argument to avoid being accused whilst still holding an incriminating view.

one of the oldest tricks in the book

Because she will get banned and rightly so, but posters like yourself won't be satisfied with that, so we need to get her strung up, so you will have closure.

How do you know what I will be satisfied with???? Ridiculous thing to say - you have no idea.

I am not the one talking about 'strung up' your words.

I believe racism should be called out - so should stupid posts like yours

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back