Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Say what you like about WA crowds but I swear I've never heard any racism at any games over here. AFL, WAFL or Ammos. I think it's because so many of our teams have aboriginals in them and we have all played together at all levels. As a kid when I heard what happened to Winmar and McAdam I just couldn't believe it being in the 90s ffs, as well as what Chris Lewis had to put up with.
Likewise (but can't say the same about Melbourne , despite having a much smaller sample size of games attended)

OK. I'll stand corrected. You really are dumb, and no I'm not going to point out the obvious problems with you comparing the two incidents.

I'm not comparing the incidents, I'm talking about jumping to conclusions based on what things "look" or "feel" like. Do you understand?

Looked more a heat of a moment thing, not a premeditated racist action.

That said, any filth who throws stuff on the field (a banana, really?) should be banned for life regardless. You expect this stuff from third world trash at sporting events, not Australia.

That's such rubbish. Eddie is an entertainer and it's not much to expect fans to have enough self-control not to throw things at a player.

People complain that we have so many boring players these days yet you think the players should be able to psychoanalyses a crowd before enjoying a moment after kicking the sealer in a big game.

To quote that guy bluelegs "That's such rubbish"

It's not "at least" something. It is everything. We are all appalled by this.

Instead of turning this into a one-upmanship based on club rivalry, we should stick with condemning the individual and hang her out to dry.

Club membership cancelled.
Banned from all AFL Stadiums.
Fined for throwing an object onto the playing field.

She'll be on the receiving end of some pretty intense vilification herself now that her identity is all over social media.

Shame your club hasn't come out stronger, 11 games for throwing stuff at a player is pathetic.

Still waiting to see the video of the Dusty incident. Plenty of evidence of the banana throwing.

Yep, she threw a banana and deserved a ban. As for the racial context, we have an unsubstantiated Facebook allegation and obscure incidents from overseas sports cited as proof. Forgive me for not joining the chorus of "Racist!" just yet.

Say what you like about WA crowds but I swear I've never heard any racism at any games over here. AFL, WAFL or Ammos. I think it's because so many of our teams have aboriginals in them and we have all played together at all levels. As a kid when I heard what happened to Winmar and McAdam I just couldn't believe it being in the 90s ffs, as well as what Chris Lewis had to put up with.

I've heard it, but only at preseason games where younger non-members get the chance to sit in whatever seat they like. They learn to keep their comments to themselves pretty quickly.

I'd also say that red-haired comments seem to be the last resort for those who can no longer make racist or sexist comments. I've met plenty of kids who take those comments to heart. I suppose the difference is there is not a long history of persecution, slavery and exploitation of redheads, which makes it less socially charged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

278513_466e06cef0db978c1e666b184cef5a23.jpg

Still acting all naive mate?

Interested to hear the banana thrower's thoughts on the four Indigenous players the Power had in their side last night (Jarman Impey, Nathan Krakouer, Jake Neade, Karl Amon), too.

I'm not comparing the incidents, I'm talking about jumping to conclusions based on what things "look" or "feel" like. Do you understand?
Italics are awesome.

Do you understand the history of bananas being thrown by fans at sportsmen?
Do you understand that one incident has video footage clearly showing what has occurred, whereas the other did not?

Of course you can ignore historical context and the evidence, but you'd have to be an idiot to do so.

PS. On to ignore you go.

Yep, she threw a banana and deserved a ban. As for the racial context, we have an unsubstantiated Facebook allegation and obscure incidents from overseas sports cited as proof. Forgive me for not joining the chorus of "Racist!" just yet.
The video was apparently taken and reported by Port's indigenous program manager which is interesting.

If we are going down this route wouldn't the position in itself be offensive to the black person if that was the case. Calling them a slave and asking them to perform the roles slaves use to have to perform is no different.

You're right. Menial labor, unpaid work and similar jobs should be 'whites only'.

Funnily enough, I was in Atlanta for work a few years ago, and the colleague I was there with made a remark to the receptionists, about how polite and helpful the 'young boys at the valet are' - one of the receptionists started to take offense to it, until the other explained to her that it's not traditional a term associated with race in Australia.

The guy I was with apologized and made it very clear that wasn't his intention at all, and it was all good, but it gave us reason to be a bit more careful with our language.

Exactly. There is a difference between an unintentional racial jibe (quickly forgiven with an apology and everyone moves on) or being intentionally racist. A slip of the tounge or being unaware of context isnt a issue for anyone.

In this case, she threw a bananna at an Aboriginal player. Context, tick. Intent? Tenuously debateable at absolute best. I mean, maybe she just happened to be sitting in a pocket with a spare banana with a minute to go, and it was just random chance that she threw it at an Aboriginal player, after a whole year of coming to the footy and spewing racist shit. I suppose its possible.

I know where my money is going. Ban her for life. She can hurl her racist jibes and bananas at players from the comfort of her own home.

If Robbie Gray did the same and a supporter threw something at him, it's the same scenario.

I'm in no way having a go at the PAFC supporter base, I'm just suggesting Eddie (anyone) has every right to celebrate a goal without fear of some moron throwing shit at him.

Anyone trying to justify the behavior is placed in the same boat as the lady in question.

Of course he has the right to celebrate but the reality is passionate people, alcohol and heart racing score lines tend to suggest he should fear some moron reacting. Crowd mentality and all.

While to me it seems very likely that this was a racist woman, it shits me how people start making personal attacks at others who dont jump to their conclusion and join in the the mob lynch mentality. Like they must be a terrible person if they haven't instantly come to the same conclusion that she is nothing but racist scum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting back and waiting to hear all the evidence before picking up the pitchforks and going in for your social justice

This case seems pretty clear to me that is was probably racist, but it happens all the time and it just shits me how quickly people want to race to their high horse and shoot down anyone who doesn't join them instantly

Italics are awesome.

Do you understand the history of bananas being thrown by fans at sportsmen?
Do you understand that one incident has video footage clearly showing what has occurred, whereas the other did not?

Of course you can ignore historical context and the evidence, but you'd have to be an idiot to do so.

PS. On to ignore you go.

Keep up the personal abuse, I love it. You continue to totally ignore the point being made (which also implies you learned absolutely nothing from the Martin circus).

PS Italics are commonly used for emphasis, as an alternative to SHOUTING AT NUMPTIES WHICH IS HELD TO BE POOR FORM.

Condemn her actions by all means, but isn't it hypocritical that people are insulting her based on hair colour / weight / sexuality etc, in response to her insulting someone based on skin colour? Or are some forms of bullying acceptable? I can't keep up.
It is ok to bully someone who is engaging in bullying or racist action.

Makes sense as its possibly the only approach they will understand.

While to me it seems very likely that this was a racist woman, it shits me how people start making personal attacks at others who dont jump to their conclusion and join in the the mob lynch mentality. Like they must be a terrible person if they haven't instantly come to the same conclusion that she is nothing but racist scum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sitting back and waiting to hear all the evidence before picking up the pitchforks and going in for your social justice

This case seems pretty clear to me that is was probably racist, but it happens all the time and it just shits me how quickly people want to race to their high horse and shoot down anyone who doesn't join them instantly

I partly agree with this. Of course, there is the flip side where people express disgust at a person hurling abuse (and bananas) at Aboriginal players, and get labelled 'Social Justice Warriors'.

I mean come on. Door swings both ways. If expressing disgust at what this woman did was 'SJW' worthy, than about 1000 Port supporters who expressed similar disgust at her actions at the game fit into that category too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back